• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

CRT Monitor gamma problems with DVD / games consoles

E

ErrorDog

Hi,

I have an SGI 24" widescreen CRT monitor that I use for gaming (all consoles) and DVD / video. I have a couple of component -> RGBHV transcoders, but my problem is that neither have gamma correction (and neither does the monitor).

This is pretty annoying because the gamma is clearly wrong when I put DVD / PS/2 / Xbox / Gamecube signals through to the monitor. The picture is sharp and stable, but the darker parts of the picture fade out to black too quickly. It's definitely a gamma problem; I can't fix it by adjusting brightness or contrast. I've loaded a couple of games that have brightness settings with graded colour bars and compared how they look on a TV to how they look on the monitor. On the TV they look non-linear - the mid-range point is closer to the brightest point than the darkest. On the monitor the grade looks linear.

So my question is; what can I do about it? Does anyone know of a device I can buy that will correct gamma either for an RGBHV or component signal (ideally with high bandwidth to cope with hi-def signals)? I've looked around a bit and can't see anything.

Any help would be appreciated as this problem is preventing me from what would otherwise be a great picture...

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Most video processors have some gamma adjustment, others are better though e.g. Lumagen has a full-on 11-point adjustment for total image control, but even the baby Cinemateq has the ability to flick through a few gamma options.

E

ErrorDog

Thanks for the reply. I've been looking into a lumagen scaler actually and it does look like it'll do what I want. I've found it a bit harder to get information on cinemateq scalers, but it seems to me that they cannot process anything other than standard interlaced inputs. Is that correct?

If so I realise that would be fine for DVDs because you would want the scaler to do the de-interlacing anyway, but it's no good for gaming because an Xbox or whatever outputs a real progressive image (not an interlaced one with the missing lines filled in).

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Correct. Cinemateq won't touch progressive or HD signals so not suited to your games setup. You will need to have multiple boxes sharing single inputs though, so I hope most boxes require amount the same amount of gamma adjustment otherwise it could get messy. Although thankfully the Lumagen does have a massive amount of memories so you can have different configurations assigned for the different consoles.

E

ErrorDog

Looks like I'll probably go for the lumagen then. Good point about the different inputs, but I've got a component matrix switch that will connect my consoles to the scaler. Then I should be able to program my pronto to switch settings on the scaler every time it changes the switch box if necessary.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom