1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT is in da house!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Paul D, Nov 6, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well the trek is finally over!. :D

My Barcodata 808s was installed today. :cool:

First impressions:- Superb!

We encountered a couple of problems but got there in the end.

The physical install was done very quickly indeed. Then Roland got to work setting up the raster/convergence etc.

Then we come to fire up the Quadscan Elite.:(
    The keys glowed dimly, the small fan whirled but nothing came on the built in display. I quick gander inside revealed a small ribbon had come adrift (rough handling in transit?). "Bingo" the red display burst into life!.

The next couple of hours involved setting up for various aspects/inputs/50hz-60-hz etc. The "Iris2" was put to good use, doing a basic converge which Roland then tweaked. This setup is only a "to do", until he returns in a couple of weeks to do some more fine tuning.(He visits at least twice!)

After Roland departed i settled down to watch a couple of dvds i know well. Roland reckons the picture is 70% tuned, but the picture produced is still very very good.

Toystory2 was first up:-
    This film is very bright and ideal demo for all PJs and used to make my Sony vw10ht sing. The fine detail was not as good as the sony, ie the blue wallpaper in Andys bedroom was not showing the "stippled" texture. Also Woodys jeans just looked blue, rather than showing the denim texture etc. This will certainly be down to the focus/dot shape/convergence, that Roland will be doing on his next visit. It might also be the Quadscans filters losing some detail. Gordon might be modding the Q.S to improve the sharpness. Having mentioned the negatives first i will now get to the good points!. The colours are simply gorgeous, totally unforced. The detail in both the light and dark areas is immense. I have taken photos of the same scenes, which i took using the Sonyvw10ht(inc A Bugs Life). I think they will look very different!. (watch this space);)

Next up was Dinosaur.
    Why? The very dark scenes of course!!!. Forget velvet blacks, this was liquid black!. During the meteor scene, the sky goes from jet black to full on fireball. Starting with just a little red/orange ball in the middle of a black screen, then just growing to a fire breathing monster. The fireball actually seems to glow as such, due to the immence contrast range. I then went back to the "Egg will travel" scene. The lowest blacks to the highest whites just pull you right into the picture, and yet the projector isn't fully setup yet!.

I also watched scenes from The Fifth Element/Mission impossible2 with the same conclusions!.

We attempted to setup the Home PC, but the Barcos got a nine pin "D" and my lead ends with 15!. We did set it up by swopping over to the BNC input used by the scaler. But later this week i will cut off the 15 pin "D" and solder on a "nine pin". Flightsim/HTPC will have to wait!.

There are a couple of picture issues yet to be sorted, but Roland knows what they are and will sort them out on his next visit.

Thats it for now (finally!), i will sort out those pics this week.

2. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats. It's a good feeling isn't it? I knew CRT was good but I had no idea it was going to be this good.

I now have a scart to RGB lead on order and this should be in place before Roland's tweak two. The genreal concensus is that it makes a big difference. Certainly jumping from composite to SVHS was very noticeable.

Starship Troopers is a goody to look at, particularly the bug fortress attack.

2001 is disappointing though. The non-anamorphic transfer doesn't help and the jaggies on the spaceships are very intrusive which is surprising because Titanic is non-anamorphic yet it looks superb. I never used to pay too much attention to ratings of DVD transfers but I have found that while anything looks good a brilliant transfer on a DVD makes all the difference.

What are the top ten demo DVDs for visual impact? "Independence Day" is good but "The Abyss" is poor. "Armageddon" surpised me by how good it looks as well.

3. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +548
    In terms of impressing your mates then The Fifth Element (Superbit even better) is fantastic. There are some good demo scenes in it too - aziz light, regeneration of leeloo, she dove off, zorg weapon test, diva - all brilliant (not proper chapter names by the way!)

All the computer animated films look amazing too
    Final Fantasy
    Toy Story 1 & 2
    Bugs Life
    Dinosaur

Have fun
    Alex

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,978
    Well Done Paul,

It really sounds good, and i cant wait to see her running during our exchange visit.

As for my Barco 800 it now switches off after 10 mins and i am pulling my hair out! I really want to get it sorted soon so i can get back to enjoying CRT again. I maybe need to get Roland back in to look at her in detail and get her sorted. I found i was still fine tweaking the convergence every other day while the PJ settles. I am sure Roland will get yours Running at 100% on the second visit, which brings me to ask why does it not sing 100% now?
    What are the issues, if any, that require a second visit?

I think i will be upgrading next August to an 808s, so will have to contact Roland for ideas of exchanges etc.

Again well done and i hope the wait was worth it mate,

Cheers
    :D

5. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fulabeer any chance of doing a rough schematic of your room layout and its dimensions, I like the style of your room very much!

thanks
    James

p.s are you keeping the sony LCD? or ebaying it?.

6. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    jr.
    Thanks for the compliment!:)

The room is 11' x 17' approx.

The screen is 80" x 60" when in 4.3 mode.
    The screen is 80" x 45" when in 16.9 mode.
    I use a 80" x 16" (1" extra to allow for bottom surround!) piece of MDF at the bottom, which hinges up for blanking.

The pillars are 80" high by 8" x 5".

The ceiling is about 8'.

The front speaker cabinets are about 18" x 18" by 80" high.

There is a centre table pre wired for HTPC/Games console. Inc RGBHV/spdif etc.
    At the moment there is a fast "P.C." with forse feedback joystick and steeringwheel + peddles!.There is also a Dreamcast in there.
    Flight sim/colin mcrae rally in 4.3 is vgood.

The ceiling uses acoustic tiles.

The screen is plaster, painted brilliant white matt emulsion.

The entire room inc amp/speakers/DVD/lights/carpet/pillars/plastering, from four bare brick walls cost about £2500-£2800. This was managed by doing all the work bar plastering myself!.(The projector was extra!)

Email me if you have any further questions.

PS. I sold the Sony VW10HT over two months ago!.

7. jrwood

jrwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks!, the reason why I was asking was I have a spare room in the house (currently the screen/projector is in the large living room) but this spare room is quite small at

11.2 feet to the door with the area to the right of the door extending to 13.3 feet and the width is about 7.6 feet

I currently use a 88" by 54" MDF screen with icestorm paint hehe

I suppose I could save up and extend the house at the back from the dining room but that would cost a fortune.

James

8. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well done Paul, I hope you're a happy chap now?

Just out of interest, how loud is the fan on the Barco?

9. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    The fans are a little louder than the sonyvw10ht.
    Its not that the they are a problem, but one of then is drumming/vibrating on one of the metal panels/flaps. It stops as soon as you open the PJ. The noise(drumming) is fairly quiet but since it is a easy fix i will sort it. Ie the flap/panel may just need tighting up, or a bit of sound deadening matt sticking on the flap/panel.

Having said that, the Barco is not as loud as the PC "as a guide" etc.

10. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul, So there's no need for a hush box then?

And what about the Cine7, from what you can remember, would you say it was louder than your Barco or about the same?

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Can I intercept here.

Cine 7 / 708 are quiter than an 808 or Cine 8 just due to the amout of air it has to get through.

All Barco projectors have a temperature sensor that speeds up the fans as the internal temp rises. this is important because thermal changes in a projector will cause convergence issues.

Even worse stop the air getting away and they will heat up internally.

Barco did not release noise data because it was operating temperature dependant.

12. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I will not be bothering with a hushbox. There is no need, unless you are really sensitive.
    I'm starting to get a hang of fine adjustments available on a CRT projector.
    The convergence once set is stunning.
    The BD808s is super stable when it comes to things like blooming etc. The image doesn't grow and shrink between light and dark scenes, like my crt tv!.
    I was worried about the image cutting off, during very dark to light scenes. I have heard some CRT PJs do this to protect the tubes. But i've tested mine with absolutley no problems.
    If i was aware last year of the availability of used CRTs then i would have went straight to one. But at the time i was only aware of the price of new CRTs making the price of the £2000-£3000 LCD PJs seem more attractive.

I'm very happy...:D

13. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Well my Barcodata808s has been fully focused/tweaked/sorted!.

And after a year of searching/spending/frustration i'm now happy!:D

A few things have changed in my mind over the last couple of weeks.

1: Dark films are now back on the agenda.
    2: I'm thinking about films that might have a good story, rather than if they will look good on the PJ.
    3: I've started thinking about the audio side of things!.
    4: I feel happy to let ANYBODY come see my setup.

I don't have any concerns about the picture quality anymore, so i will be happy during demos not feeling a have to explain why this or that looks wrong etc.

I find i can now seat people as near to the screen as i want.

I'm happy to leave the projector on for a couple of hours, even if i'm doing something else. Until i'm ready to start using it again etc.

I keep grinning!:D

I watched the "Matrix" last night as my first "official" film.
    I picked it not because it has the best image quality etc. But as i have not watched it for so long!. The greenish tinge looked great, then the colours of the real world just leapt out of the screen. I have never seen this film look so good( even trinitys black PVC suit! :eek: )

Even when using the projector in full screen(4.3) mode, the image is now bright and clear. This size screen is excellent (100inch diagonal etc).

I bought a copy of the new "Flightsim 2002" yesterday. I hope to learn how to use it properly one day, because upto now i only had a quick go now and again(flightsim 2000).
    I loaded it up, and set the resolution to 1024x768 32bit(screen in 100inch 4.3 mode).
    I loaded in Manchester Airport, and a cessina. I set the time for GMT which meant it was a night take-off.
    WOW-WOW! is this thing realistic...
    I switched on the planes lights and the tarmac glows ahead, softly getting dimmer further up the runway as in the "real world".
    I started down the runway, my force feedback joystick was going hell for leather!. My subs working overtime as well!.
    The landing/runway light are very real, as are the airport buildings. I could see other planes taxing at the side of me!.
    I took off and after a couple of minutes circled the airport.
    Anybody who has been on a plane at night nows what the ground looks like. That kind of patches of orange lights etc, well this is just as real!.
    I could just makeout the horizon with a faint blue glow etc, then it was just blackness dotted with twinkling stars. Very Very real.
    The landing lights along the the runway are just a blur as you approach. Getting sharper and sharper as you near. Normaly, this is where i cock-up, as it's hard to tell exactly how high you are above the runway. Well now the intensity of your planes landing light varies. The lower you are the brighter etc. You can really tell when you will touch down.

This program is just as good quality as a proper simulator, as far as image is concerned. It is helped by the fact the 808s can do true black etc. I wont get into how real the clouds look during the day!.

I have tried WinDVD3.055 with it but found using my Geforce2GTS, gave some "posterising" on the image. I hope to upgrade this to the new ATI8500 soon.

I won't be on tonights chat forum long!!! I wonder why?

14. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have you took anymore photos paul?

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Guess which projectors they use in most simulators?

16. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Christie? ;)

17. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    Yes Graham i have taken about 24 screen shots!.
    I will get them done tomorrow, and post some here and on my website etc.
    I need a tripod though, as they are done just holding the camera.
    I switch the flash off, and leave the camera in auto mode. The pause between shutter open-shut is about a second. Trying to keep the camera steady, it just seems like an eternity.

18. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers, I look forward to seeing them!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.