1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Install

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Thunder, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Here are some shots of whats goin on!

Attached Files:

2. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    First of all we have the work in the loft. I have drilled through the beams and reinforced them with timber. I have used 10mm bolts with nylock nuts. I have bridged the beams with unistrut to give me six fixing points. It was really difficult to get the exact centre line of the room and I bought a laser tape measure but it was sh*t! So I ended up using string and a tape measure which works really well :thumbsup: Finally the finished brackets on the ceiling made from unistrut sprayed black for a nice finish :smashin:

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Next we have a shot of the massive RGBHV cable made for me by Mark Grant, its awsome! Next a shot of my room in a mess and finally ashot of my home made kit rack (not really relavent)

Attached Files:

4. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Oh and in the shot of my room you can also see my Barco G808s which I have painted in a black fleck finish :D

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have only just figured out how to compress and upload images so will attempt to give regular progress reports on my install :D My new fixed frame screen from Screens UK arrived today so I will be fitting that tomorrow :thumbsup: I have booked a genie lift for Thursday, so that will be the day of the big lift! :eek: Wish me luck everyone :confused:

6. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Heres a slightly better shot of my painted G808s which I painted with a mixture of plastikote paints :)

Attached Files:

7. JimmytheSaint

JimmytheSaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Thunder, looks awesome! :D
    I wish you the best of luck on Thursday and be sure to add some more shots of the unit when it's up and running!!

Now to start on my new arrival :eek:

Cheers

Yas :)

8. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have been very busy all morning installing my lovely new screen form Screens UK :) I recommend them as Lynda was very helpfull and the screens are of good quality and well priced!
    - First of all a shot of all the measuring, which is the hardest and most frustrating part :mad: Good old string was called in again as it seems to be the best way to get things straight :DAlso I have removed most of my Auralex foam.
    - Next my new screen assembled, its a Vogue 16:9 200cm aluminium fixed frame. Easy to put together apart from the rather dodgy Italian translation on the instructions :laugh:
    - Next, the screen is up :thumbsup: Quite easy as it is very light and vonly requires two screws :smashin: ( girlfriends help requred)
    - Finally its all done and my Auralex is recut and reapplied. I had a panic first of all as the screen didnt look quite level :eek: But after checking with the spirit level I soon discovered it was the coving that was wonky :)
    Photos to follow

9. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Photos as promised :)

Attached Files:

10. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Its install day :clap: The Genie lift has arrived, and its pretty big :eek: Should do the job though :D

Attached Files:

11. benwillcox

benwillcox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Nice one Mark, keep the pics coming!

Cheers,
    Ben.

12. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thunder,

Great stuff - the more pics the better !!!

Sean G.

13. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Right, its all up and done and as level as level can be :D
    This is how the day went, I dont mind saying it was an absolute b*t*h getting the lift up the stairs despite having help from my father (who came over to help me) and me being a fairly strong lad.
    When it was up the stairs and into my AV room the foam packaging from my SVS sub came in very usefull as it made the perfect cushioning platform to lay accross the forks of the lift and lay the PJ on :thumbsup:
    After that we roughly positioned the lift and PJ below the ceiling brackets and then it was just a case of cranking. I must point out that the Genie lift was very good and really quite precise. We were able to raise and lower the PJ by about 3mm at a time.
    We pinned a piece of string down the centre line of the room and at the correct height to where the top bracket on the PJ had to be. We then measured down the length of the string from the screen and attatched a piece of tape to the string where the front bracket on the PJ would have to be positioned. We then marked with chalk on the front and back pannel of the PJ where its centre line lay, this made it really easy to get the PJ bang on as far as height/distance to screen and longitudal axis were concerned :thumbsup:
    After making a first atempt at attatching the brackets made of threaded rod and threaded square strut slots we quckly found out they had a bad design fault, in that when you try to twist the rod to lengthen or shorten the strut, the strut slots remain equidistant because as it tightens at one end it loosens at the other! :mad:
    It was off to B&Q to get some extra parts to perform a modification devised by my father. We purchased some nylock nuts and a large metal drill bit. We drilled the threads out of the strut slots at one end and attatched nylock nuts and washers at that end. This allowed us to tighten or loosen any of the four supporting steel rod supports at each corner with ease.
    All this meant that once the PJ was loaded onto the brackets all you have to do is lift by hand the corner of the PJ you want to move and twist the steel rod with your fingers. After a short time we had the PJ dead centre and spirit level levelled :clap: :clap: It all took to about half two this afternoon, and although the threaded rod modification was a bit of a pain it was the only glitch :D
    Have a look at the photos, and ask any questions you like :) At this point I must express my thanks to my father who was very helpfull today, Yasin who I bought the PJ off and who has volunteered to help me calibrate it :) , as well as Dr Udo Zucker ex CEO of TagMclaren audio who is a big CRT fan and has answered all my techy questions fully and promptly via email. More photos will follow as the finishing touches are applied :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

14. Anders T

Anders T

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wow, this looks good! I've just bought a bg 808s myself, but can't say I care for the colour, loved what you did to it! I'm thinking about doing that myself, any advice? Could it cause a thermal problem? I guess there's a reason it's grey...
    Anders from Norway

15. Erling

Erling

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Congrats on the successful installation :thumbsup:

Must say your RGBHV cable looks pretty awesome. Could you tell me where you got it from, providing there's a website with info about it. I might benefit from one too for my ceiling mounted hovercraft....err, my Sony 1292.. ;)

The Genie lift btw. is exactly the same type as the one I rented when I installed my projector. Was told by the shop that it weighs 160 kg, so I believe you when you say it was a bitch to get up the stairs. Was fortunate enough to be on the ground floor myself.

Best of luck with the rest of the installation and operation once you're finished.

Cheers,
    Erling

16. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Shouldnt be any heat problems as the PJ dosnt get that hot :) THe only reason the PJ is that colour is that it is neutral and makes it easy to paint :thumbsup: I used the plastikote range of paints building it up in layers and finishing with the clear sealer unevenly distributed to produce a fleck effect much like that on a REL sub :thumbsup:

17. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi, the cable is awsome (fire hose dimensions) It was bought here on this forum from Mark Grant in the cable powerbuy section. Its made from Belden and Canare precision components and was what I think is a bargain at £120.00 for a 6m length. Mark will make it to spec for you and I cant recommend him enough :thumbsup:

18. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thunder,

That's a super job, the 808 looks brill in black, very Cine8...... :cool:

I'd be interested in seeing any close-up pictures you have of where the actual threaed rods and the unistrut/projector are joined together ?

Thanks.......

Sean.

19. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I will try and some out tonight for you mate :thumbsup:

20. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Ta muchly..... ;) Have you fired it up yet, or are you waiting for assistance with calibration etc.

S.

21. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Well, i'll admit Im almost a bit nervous about switching it on :rolleyes: But there are of couple of bits yet I need to get sorted before I can do so. The first is connect the power cable up! This means some more work in the loft (I hate it up there :mad: ) and secondly I wanted to get a decent scaler sorted out, as I was on a limited budget I was gonna get an I Scan HD as they can be had for about 750 quid at the moment, but I really wanted something with proper BNC RGBHV outputs. As if by magic this very morning I have managed to get hold of a Lumagen HDP with BNCs fitted for the bargain price of £760.00. Problem solved :clap: Since Yas is coming over next Sunday to help me calibrate it I will probably wait till then as by that time the Lumagen should be in place and hooked up ready to go as well :D

22. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Very nice kit........ Look forward to seeing/reading how the rest of the process goes.

Regards,

Sean.

23. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    As requested here are some shots of the brackets etc :thumbsup:

Attached Files:

24. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    Looks nice......Don;t suppose you could paint the ceiling a nice dark colour too? Wold make a fair difference I think.

G

25. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thunder,

thanks for those pics - and compliments on very neat work....... :clap:

Sean.

26. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +80
    Coo....Looks good. Scaler wise, have you not thought of the HTPC route ???

Just noticed your in Peterborough, which is only just down the road !!!

Gordon is right, a dark colour ceiling would help, even a (i forget the %) neutral grey would do wonders and be more livable than black....or i'd guess a dark blue isn't a bad option, as the slight blue cast may compensate for the inevitable weak blue tube (red & green always seem to be stronger on barco's)

cya,
    Lee

27. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Hi Gordon, I may paint a strip on the ceiling in front of the screen but not sure about doing the whole lot :)

28. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Im affraid although Ive been impressed with the PQ available from HTPCs I couldnt give up the quality of audio output available from my sync linked DVD32R :D

29. condyk

condyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Cool ... but I think I'd have sorted out the Artex ceiling before spending out on all the gear ;-)

30. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Fair point mate, but my room and kit has been built up slowly over time as I could afford it and Im quite proud of what I have achieved on my own :) I still think Im lucky to have a dedicated room of this standard despite the artex ceiling :lesson: