1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT image problems vs. RP image problems

Discussion in 'TVs' started by GavinH, Sep 28, 2003.

1. GavinH

GavinH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, could people summarise the types of problems experienced with CRT TVs and compare these with the types of problems associated with RPTVs? For example, from some of the material that I have read here, CRTs can have problems with geometry, yet it seems that RPTVs do not suffer from this (or is it that it can be configured?).

Also, is it the case the “rear projection TVs cannot match the picture quality of CRT TVs?” If I opt for a 42” rear projection TV rather than a 36” CRT, what am I trading for the additional screen size?

Cheers,

Gav

2. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    On the quality of RPTV's, I will just say that if you ask any RPTV owner (especially the newer models) who obviously has had CRT's in the past, they would tell you that in their opinion the PQ is close to or better then regular CRT... people can debate as much as they want, etc, but I think at least 9/10 RPTV owners would not go back to CRT...

Problems like geometry is usually much better on RPTV's since they use smaller tubes (typically 7" in the case of Toshiba) which makes this easier. In fact its amazing how accurate the geometry is. Convergence is adjustable, so any problems there can be rectified.

The main noticeable 'thing' with RPTV's is the reduction in vertical viewing angles, what this means in reality, is that unless you are sat around screen level, then the pciture will be 'dimmer' then normal, but since most of the sets these days have excellent horizontal viewing angles, so as long as you are sat anywhere in the room, there is no problem. There is also an issue, if you sit too close to the TV, and typcially for a 42" screen, I would have said practically less then 6 foot will cause problems, this is only in so far as the screen brightness will not be uniform. Although, this is usually not visible on moving picture, and is fine when you sit more then 6 feet away.

And despite popular belief, RPTV's are usually brighter then the larger CRT's... and are more then viewable in daylight... plus some RPTV's have anti-reflective screens that really do help..

3. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normal CRT TV's can only be corrected by so much- usually pincushion, trapezoid, vertical height & horizontal width, and Corner adjustments.

Any irregular geometry faults cannot be corrected on a normal (say slight bending of a certain area of the screen)

RP's have the above PLUS the ability to correct any little area- so you can get most or if not all of the screen perfect (If you spend time on it)

I would say a RP at least equals that of a normal TV, and of course has bigger screen size (you can't buy a 57" TV!!), cheaper - only £1400 for a 51"- and less deep.

Demon- you mean the screen is anti-reflective? :) Normal TV's have a glass front, which can catch reflections if you're not careful - ie window, door etc.

4. Demon

Demon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +57
    Cheers.. : ) one day I will actually read the crap I write...