CRT Hush box, How much wold you pay?

Would you buy a Hush box

• Under £200

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • £200-£300

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • £300-£400

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Hey, I'll do it myself with pape mache!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Oh, over £400 then

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Reaction score
I have been asked by a client to build a hush box for his projector. I've been doing some research and wondered if any others would be interested in such a thing. My theory was that I would have a "universal" type of design for 8" and 9" units.

Thoughts appreciated

Gordon

Hi Gordon would the hush box be passive and need some sort of HVAC installed or have built in fans to extract hot air?

Dificult question Gordon, it would depend on finish, WAF (strange I know given that there's a CRT in the equation!!) overall size, amount of noise reduction etc.

To be honest my departing CRT never bothered me with the noise. The soundtrack was always louder, but I dont know how much louder the 808 will be.

Given all that I'll start the vote.

Good idea,

As said, it would depend on the ammount of noise that could be masked. I'd be interested in seeing a prototype and some before/ after SPL readings. Probably difficult though.

Was the quiet fan mod ever completed?

Rob.

The protoyping and 3d modelling for such a box is expensive so no pics as yet. I envisaged a molded ABS case styled a bit like the Vidikron Pininfarina cases that were done for Electrohomes. For the thing to fit all units it would need to be high enough for an Electrohome and long enough for a 1209, so it'd be quite large.

There would be no ventilation. I envisaged that folk would put vents from ceiling above projector to outside of building. I suppose if there was a demand then it may be possible to add ventilation fans to expel air in to room but this isn't really very HUSH is it?

The projector I am doing this to is a Marquee and has had a Tim Martin fan mod on the HVPS. It made a BIG difference. Seeing how he did part of this mod has given me hope for further quietening other models. Roland has been made aware of this as well but I don;t know if he's tried it out with his fan mods yet.

Gordon

News flash early prototype designs stolen Scottish connection suspected.

(Sorry Gordon couldn't resist)

Attachments

• hush 2.jpg
    hush 2.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 354
This was Barco's answer.
Pininfarina.....No.
Pinacolada........?

Attachments

• cine 7 encosure.jpg
    cine 7 encosure.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 377
Is it possible to do a generic hush box? Wouldn't different pj types and differing installations mean that a generic box would have to be larger than otherwise might be ideal?

I mean even the room size could determine whether a particular box was practical (pj may be close to the back wall, low ceiling etc).

Just a thought.

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom