1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crt Hd-tv????

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by bu5ter, Aug 18, 2005.

1. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Hi I am relatively new to these forums and am a touch confused over the whole HD compatibility thing! I am getting my TV replaced under warranty and have a £1000 to spend so am really looking at doing a straight swap for my old Philips 32" 100hz matchline tv. The model I am looking at is a Toshiba 36ZP46 which looks very nice indeed. My confusion comes from the fact that the TV has component inputs and suppoorts progressive scan (does not specify which modes) does this mean then that this set is HD compliant or does it need for some weird reason to be a LCD, Plasma or DLP??
    here is a link to specs on Tosh site http://www.home-entertainment.toshi...descreen43tv-100hznicamtv-36zp46?opendocument

Cheers

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    I believe those only support 480P only, don't think they are any CRT TV's which can do High Definition, best looking for an LCD within your price range...

3. bu5ter

bu5ter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    OK so I take it from that then that HD is from a certain level up say 720p or 1080i?????

4. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Maybe not in the UK, but in the US CRT TV's which support 1080i are quite common, like this one from Samsung

5. Stephen Neal

Stephen Neal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +681
    Yes.

480i, 576i, 480p and 576p are not HDTV signals - though they can be carried via component. There are some CRT displays on sale in the UK that will accept 480/60p via component, but they don't display 720p or 1080i.

There are a few 1080/50i capable sets on sale in the UK - Samsung and JVC I believe - but these are not able to carry the official "HD Ready" logo because they aren't HDMI/DVI+HDCP compatible, and neither are they 720/50p and 720/60p capable.

At the moment there seems to be no direct-view CRT set on sale in the UK that could be labelled "HD Ready"

6. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +265
    They are the new Slim Crt's, I was talking about standard ones, does not support 720P nore HDCP so not a true HDTV, maybe it upscales 720P to 1080i

7. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    I suggest you read the spec sheet again ! :nono:

CONNECTIONS
    • HDMI - High Definition Multimedia Interface
    • 2 HD/DVD Component Video Inputs (Auto Sensing)
    (480i/480p/720p/1080i)

There's no reason why ordinary CRT sets can't support HDTV, but the problem in the UK and Europe is that the market is too small, and manufacturers don't consider it to be financially viable to produce PAL versions of these sets. This TV is a true HDTV in the American definition - HDCP support is only a big issue over here because Sky have made it a big issue.

8. Welwynnick

Welwynnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +824
    US HDTV sets usually support 1080i but not 720p for very good technical reasons - the horizontal scanning rate would be too high for a reasonably priced set. 1080i sets scan at a similar rate to 480p sets - 31 to 33 kHz, whereas 720p requires 45 kHz, which would presumably be too expensive.

And I am sure that the last thing Sky want to do is make HDCP an issue - it only becomes a barrier to their commercial develoopment. HDCP is required by the copyright holders - otherwise they would not permit high quality, digital high def broadcasts or media to be distributed. Everyone would pirate it instead of paying them. Nothing to do with Sky.

Nick

9. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    Scan rates are easy to achieve with modern electronics. The challenge with CRT sets is to maintain picture geometry with different scan settings. It can be done, but it is expensive, as is demonstrated by the high price of PC CRT monitors compared to equivalent-sized CRT (LD) TV's.

10. paolo999

paolo999

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nick,

Just wondering if you'd managed to give your plasma a try with a proper 1080i picture?

I'm pondering buying one, and although I'm not so sure about ALiS, in theory it should actually be better for 1080i than a standard plasma.

Cheers,
    Paul