1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT geometry. Can it be adjusted?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by sean5302, Sep 22, 2005.

1. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I have a Sony KV28FX65U.

I've had it about 3 years and haven't used it much. I like the 100Hz picture, but, last night my Sky Digibox has downloaded new software.

It's now version 3.3b.5

The problem is the geometry on the EPG.

It looks quite trapezoidal. Lozenge-shaped, if you like. Also known as a parallelogram.

The light blue Sky EPG background contrasts sharply with the darker Royal blue headings on the planner. At each edge of the Royal blue there is about 1" of vertical border, but it's not vertical. I reckon the planner text body should be rectangular.

Can I fix it?

2. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +199
    It may be possible to fix a geometric problem using the TVs serivce menu. I am not sure how to get into it on this particular model. Also if you have had no experince in doing this before, I would not recomend trying to fix it your self with out at least haviing the Tvs service manual avalable. There are many members on this forum that have had experince with dealing with sony geometric issues, hopefully one may be able to talk you through it if they see this thread. :)
    Remember, if you do decide to give it a go yourself, make sure you write all the details and values down before you change anything. You can really mess your TV up when changing settings in the service menu if you dont know what you are doing. :eek:

3. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Thanks Dave.

I was tantalised when I saw how to access the TV service menu on a post today. That was for the KV28FX66U and I followed the info just to see whether I could access the menu. I could.

There is so much there that I'm scared to alter anything.

It even lists lots of models, so I wondered whether you could buy a bog-standard model and then load the data from the menu for a top-range one. You know, a 50Hz basic model, but select a featured one and I wonder whether the features would appear.

Not as daft as folks might think. I have a VW Golf. On another forum I read how to access all sorts of data which is in the ECU and can be displayed on the multi-function panel. I only had to buy an £18 stalk switch to get full automatic speed control, like you get on US cars. Set, resume, etc. It's already programmed into the ECU, but hidden.

Doesn't help me with this, though, but someone might be along who can.

Thanks again. Never noticed it before Sky's new EPG display, but now I have, it's driving me nuts.

4. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    With the Sony service menu as you can see there is an absolute multitude of settings and one requires a BIG sheet of paper to write down all the set values.

As you will see the menu settings show a min/max and default setting. 1 menu tab is devoted to geometry issues and isn't to scary. You can safely adjust each setting to see what it does without worry. However once each setting is changed it is stored! So do make sure you know the actual set values before tinkering. You always have default values to fall back on if for some reason you lose your way. It's unlikely that set values will be far from them anyway.

5. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    Right then.

I'll have a faff about tomorrow.

If I end up crying and posting emergency messages, you'll know why.

What is the phone number for International Rescue, these days?

6. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    The number is F A B (322)

One thing I forgot to mention is with geometry once you adjust one setting you'll find a correction will need to be made with another setting as most adjustments interact with each other rather like brightness and contrast so a little fiddle back and forth may be required. Try to do adjustments in 14:9 mode as 16:9 mode can cause disaster for 14:9 geometry if adjusted to look correct in full widescreen.

As I say tho' it's safe to have a play in the geometry menu as long as you know the set values. Once you have more confidence and a feel for adjusting the set modes you can then play to your hearts content.

I'm of now for a fitting for a Martian outfit :)

7. nig28

nig28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

If the fault is, as a result of the software upgrade, then perhaps it has nothing to do with the television!?

Nigel

8. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    I wondered that, Higel, but I think it must have been there, all along.

The upgrade has given a very bright, light-coloured background that exacerbates any defects. I can see clearly now (the rain has gone). Sorry, don't know where that came from!

9. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Try lowering the contrast as it sounds like it could be electron steering issues. Perhaps the new menu with it enhanced contrast is highlighting power supply issues

10. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    This is nothing like as easy as I hoped it might be.

I'm worried that I'll alter something which will give me a blank screen and then I'll have no means of accessing the menu to recover it.

I've given up for the moment. This is what I've looked at:

Fault exists on 4:3 and all of the modes up to 16:9

It is well out of parallel vertical edges to, particularly, the Sky planner dark blue menu icons.

With tv on standby
    i+, 5, vol+, () ie text off
    set comes on with TT displayed
    menu
    menu

get service menu with:
    initialising
    reset devices
    monitoring
    device register setting
    special adjustment

in "initialising" are 4 sub-menus, including "basic setting", which has 18 sub-sub menus. Nothing obvious to alter

Looked in "special adjustment" which has 22 sub-menus.

Oh my goodness me!

Any experts, please help.

Oh yes, to escape:

menu

back to "normal".

11. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    You need the Menu that says Deflection and Dynamic convergence. Deflection will probably do all the adjustments needed. Try not to touch S-correction as this can seriously make your TV picture wrong although no harm done as long as you know the original preset value but it will make all other adjustments incorrect if S-correction is adjusted to be incorrect.

12. sean5302

sean5302
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +82
    But I can't find anything like this.

All i can see are the 5 headers I've listed.

HELP (please)

13. per-Sony-fied

per-Sony-fied

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +100
    OH :oops: I've been refering to a Sony FX60 which is a predater to this model. Everything you have in your menu is the same as the FX60 except Device register settings so I am guessing that these menu's must be tucked away here as there are another 6 menu's that adjust things like sound and colour alignment. Must be there as these are basic settings on all TV's. Look for things like H-Amp, V-Position, pin-amp, v-size.

14. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Hi, damned right, i think !!!

I have suspected that geometry problems are evident on my 32FX60u due to a poor supply.

What are the usual symptoms.

Rich

15. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Bright "contrasty" images on dark backgrounds can distort and bend quite badly in some scenarios. This occurs when the electrons are not being steered correctly, perhaps due to an inadequate/failing power supply. Not normally something to worry about too much. Just really something that you should look at if buying a new CRT as many mass produced sets suffer to some extent (keeping costs down)

16. Rich777

Rich777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Thanks Scooby,

The "fault" i have with the FX60u is the horizontal lines , the picture has allways curved up slightly in the middle (or tails of ..drops off to the edges at the top)

In 4:3 mode the picture is damned perfect, just when extended to fill all the area 16:9 it is err "droopy"

The image also seems to visably resise when the image is brightened. How can i best put that ..when watching a program a brightening image seems to expand the view this is noticable in 16:9 when playing DVD 2.35:1 the black bars top and bottom change size very slightly !!! hope that makes sense, it does seem to be realted to contrast , reducing contrast leasens the affect.

Is there any way to set the picture horizontally straight ? Power Supply ?

Rich

17. scooby do

scooby do

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    If it is PS realated then not a lot you can do as the lines will bend various amounts according to the contrast of the image.