1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT Front Projector upto £4K?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by nathan_silly, Jan 5, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I'm looking for a CRT Front projector between £2000-£4000, I don't mind getting a refurbed unit but it must have replaced tubes, PSU check, software updates.

Since a local shop cannot possibly have several projectors setup and running, what are the best makes for picture quality, reliability, and spare parts availability?

Also would it be worthwhile to buy a set of tubes at the same in case they are unavailable if/when the ones in the projector pack up?

It will be used for Region 1 NTSC DVD's. I would like a line doubler built in as well.

I have seen a Barco 708 with new tubes, reworked PSU, updates s/w for £4K, with remote and 12 months warranty.

Are there websites with up-to date retail prices, so I can get if I'm getting a good deal?

I have previously setup CRT Projectors- convergence, focus, pin so I know what I'm doing.

Thanks
    Nathan

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
  3. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    £4k sounds about right for a good condition refrubed warrantied crt, however, here's two good sites for comparison, both companies have an excellent pedigree;

http://www.b4projection.co.uk/cgi-bin/products.pl

http://www.crtprojectors.co.uk/projectors.htm

The former is none other than Roland Brooks who has posted here once or twice :D Both are recommended.

Don't bother with a 2nd set of tubes, the projector will be obsolete by the time you need them (5 or more years if looked after). Tubes are good for around 10,000 hours if not abused.

Built-in line doublers are a waste of time, get a stand-alone unit such as the Iscan. If going for a larger projector, say a Barco 808, you'll need a scaler like the Centrestage (CS-1 or CS-2). Personally, if you can afford an 8" projector such as the Barco 808, then I'd ignore the 708 unless thats what you really want.

Barco are easiest to setup and maintain, for picture quality...., I'll leave that for others to argue over.
    Paul

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just wondering about background noise. Are the newer ones quieter? The one I had buzzed a bit, and the fan was quite noisy. Noticed Barco has a fan free unit- this any good?

What projector's have the worst picture quality? will avoid!

cheers.
    Nathan

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Coming from one of the companies mentioned here I can't promise an unbiased view but here goes.
    I too would go with Paul's avice and hold off with the 2nd set of tubes. Tubes will still be available in 10 years time. Dispite the efforts of the DLP/LCD crowd.
    The fan less Barco Cine 6 (the only fanless CRT I'm aware of)produces a lovely picture but it has a chequered history and early units had reliability issues. It must go excactly where the manuals says or the projector will over heat. It needs quite a few inches between the ceiling and projector to allow for proper air movement. In a conventional 7'6" room will probably make it head banger.
    Moving on to fan noise, most of this can be attributed to a build up or warm air in the ceiling. The thermo detecting fans will try to compensate. If there is any way of either a ducting cool air to the PJ or better still removing the warm air from around it fan noise should not be an issue.

Line doublers are essential for CRT machines. The Barco internal unit with the full updated software is worth looking at but will be beaten by a more cost effective Iscan Pro.

One of my goals for early part of this year is to get the web site finshed.

6. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info.

A mate's company has a LCD projector- LCD panel is damaged- and he can't get any parts for it. It's only a couple of years old. Guess them things are chuck-away items that cannot be repaired easily (pig to open up, and access the parts)

Guess for CRT there's alot more backup.

The projector will be placed ontop of a chest of drawers, so the lense's will be behind me and above my head.

Nathan

7. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This will put the projector "ON Aixs" which is what they love the best. You should be able to use more of the phospher area which will give you a sharper brighter picture.
    You will have to be carefull about lens set up as all CRT's will normally come for floor or ceiling use. Almost certainly you will require spacers to get the top/bottom focus correct.
    The back of the projector will need lifting ( by about 3") so the lenses point at the centre of the screen. You may have to be careful about your choice of projector due to the position of the fans. For instance a projector with than fans at the front will make them just behind your ears. Some will also blow warm air down the back of your neck. (Good effect for thriller films)

8. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi Nathan just to let you know I have sent you a PM

9. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    cutes6 are you actively involved in the remarketing of CRT's this is the second post where somebody is asking about where to buy one that you've posted stating you've sent PM. If you're in the trade you should state in your signature.

Steve

10. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think I'll buy a projector without a 6 month/12 month guarantee.. Not the sort of thing that will have a cheap repair bill!

If Steve is right can I trust a second-hand seller? It could have had the hour counter reset etc...

Nathan

11. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Nathan,

There's nothing wrong with credible second hand resellers, some of the ones mentioned earlier do indeed offer waranties, I can vouch for Roland as can a large number of CRT owners here. Second hand values are so much cheaper than retail ytou can actually get a superb projector for very little money as the previous owner will have taken the bulk of the depreciation, by default they are normall;y ex corporate machines also.

I was/am not belittling cutes6 by the way, I was just stating if he is in the business he should be stating so in his sig so you can judge his responses accordingly.

Cutes6 if your not please accept my apologies :D

Steve

12. Boris Blank

Boris Blank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Hmmm. Most crts for the Home Cinema market are second-hand - nothing wrong with that at all. Hour counters are basically meaningless, its the tube wear and general condition of the chassis that determines the worth of a projector.

If you know what you are doing there are some real bargains out there - as long you know what you are looking at and how to check it out.

If you have the readies (and you have more than enough I think!), and/or haven't a clue or merely don't want the hassle then buy from a recommended seller (like Roland), you'll pay a bit more but you have the security of a guaranteed product and excellent back-up support.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.
    Paul

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,399
    If you wish to sell your Ellie, you should do it via the classifieds.
    What is your reason for contacting several people expressing an interest in CRT via PMs trying to sell them your Ellie?

14. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK I've just measured the room- front wall to back wall is 10' 5". Take away approx 2' for the depth of the projector, and say 2" gap between wall and screen.

That's about 8' 6" . Approximately what 16:9 projection size will I get from that?

I think I'll get the projector from one of those links, probably a half price Barco 708.

Thanks!

15. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    That's not a big room.
    I have to calculate in metric so here goes.
    10'5" = 3180mm
    take off 730mm for the length of the projector and allow for the lid to open = 2450mm
    50mm for the creeen to stand out leave you with 2400mm

A 708 style projector would give you a 1740mm wide 16x9 image.
    In old money 5 foot 8 inches wide.

That's easily within the specification of the projector.

16. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That size will be great!- and I guess since it's smaller than the usual 8' size it will have a better picture?

thanks for your help
    Nathan

17. cutes6

cutes6

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Hi everyone just to set the record straight, I am a private person who has an Ellie which I have considered selling. I didn't want to post in the advert section because this decision is not 100% and I didn't want to mess anyone around.

As I do everyday I read the forum and 2 people were thinking of a crt unit so I pm'd them saying It might be available if interested that's all .

I am very sorry if this was the wrong thing to do or I have upset anyone. People have pm'd me in the past about items they might sell which I have expressed an interest in or they have a piece of equipment to sell which might solve a problem I was having etc.

Once again please accept my apologies if I have broken any rules or upset anyone.

18. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I've PM 'd you all:devil:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.