CRT for me still I think.

ad47uk

Established Member
Reaction score
4 years ago, I got myself a cheap JMB CRT T.V, it is still going well, but because it was cheap, the screen is not as flat as it could be. I am thinking of getting another T.V next year and yes I know it is still 5 months away and lots of things can happen by then, but I have been looking at T.V's and the different technologies they use. I still think that CRT is the best technology as LCd still have the same old problem of refreshing, Plasma are still expensive and still have the screen burn problem and to be honest I am not sure about Rear projection.

The problem I see at the moment is that even now getting a normal CRT T.V is getting difficult with less choice every time I look. I do not need a HD ready T.V, but I want something with pretty good quality.

I just wondering now if I should stay with the JMB, it does the job apart from the reflection now and then from the light.

If you still want a CRT then get the sonyHQ100....or you could get a panny PD50......and dont forget the JVC 1080i models too......these and the newest toshiba ones are the best CRT money can buy IMHO.

geese said:
If you still want a CRT then get the sonyHQ100....or you could get a panny PD50......and dont forget the JVC 1080i models too......these and the newest toshiba ones are the best CRT money can buy IMHO.

I won't touch anything from Sony, so Sony is certainly out, Panasonic had problems a few years back with colour problems, I love Panasonic audio stuff mind you.

I know someone with a JVC T.V, must be around 15 years old now and the picture is very good, so it seems like JVC stuff lasts. I do not know what models you mean as I look on the JVC website and did not see any thing about 1080I models, I presume that this 1080I have to do with HD, which is something I do not need. I do not see the point in paying extra for HD as I am never going to use it.

I will have a look at the Toshiba ones, I did see a Thomson that looked nice, but after the problems I had with their Freeview PVR box I am not sure, mind you now that the box have the latest update in, it have been no problem.

As I said this is not going to happen until next year unless my T.V goes belly up, so it gives me plenty of time to look around.

Thanks for the reply

In that case you may want to consider Philips 32PW9551 for about 1.000 euro :)

ghislain said:

I am not that fond of Philips either, I know a few peope that have had philips T.V and they all had trouble with them.

Oh by the way we do not use those horrid euro things here.

ad47uk said:
Unreliable, poor quality and over priced.

Since they no longer do CRT's Sony is now only available on the 2nd hand market.... so 1 point sorted!

2nd point..... My mate had a Sony TV for 25 years without a single fault! OK just 1. The mains ON/OFF switch broke.. TV still usable via remote. Also owned a Sony Tv myself for 5 years with no reliability issues too.

3rd point.... Sony make some of the best TV's on the market. This is one area where Sony excel.

per-Sony-fied said:
Since they no longer do CRT's Sony is now only available on the 2nd hand market.... so 1 point sorted!

2nd point..... My mate had a Sony TV for 25 years without a single fault! OK just 1. The mains ON/OFF switch broke.. TV still usable via remote. Also owned a Sony Tv myself for 5 years with no reliability issues too.

3rd point.... Sony make some of the best TV's on the market. This is one area where Sony excel.

Sony don't make LCD's either, Samsung makes them or did.

I never had a Sony t.V, but I had a sony cassette deck a few years back now and I had so many problems with it that I vowed never to buy Sony again. A mate got himself a nice new Aiwa Hi-fi as his Old Aiwa was getting a bit passed it now almost 20 years for a hi-fi is not bad, but his new Aiwa is awful. The sound quality is naff and four times it have been replaced because the CD player keeps going wrong. Sony now owns Aiwa.

Another mate had a Sony Dat machine, it will rewind when it feels like it and most of the time miss the markers. He also have a Yamaha DAT compared to the Sony it is fantastic.

I do know someone with a Sony T.V, which is about 6 years old, they have had no problems with it, apart from the remot control falling apart and Sony charging a bomb for a new one.

That cassette Deck put me off Sony,

Be careful, Sony and Samsung jointly own an LCD fab.

Hoever the sets are still designed and made by Sony. And there is much, much more to a set than the panel. After all, those horrible looking unbranded LCD sets use the same panels.

ad47uk said:
I am not that fond of Philips either, I know a few peope that have had philips T.V and they all had trouble with them..

Just about every manufacturer has (had) one or more models with above average failure rates....

ad47uk said:
Oh by the way we do not use those horrid euro things here.

Some 400 million other europeans do :D
FYI 1.000 euro's equals approx. 675 GBP

:thumbsup: My father bought a thomson 32wb634 2days ago. Man what a crt it is. It has HI-PIX....and component. Its not HD. Im very surprised with the PQ.....I had a panny PD50 for 2years and this one is just as good....and that says alot. And its cheap too.

My father bought a thomson 32wb634 2days ago.

Where did he get it from? I'm after a 32 inch CRT TV with progressive scan & Component input.

Thanks

ghislain said:

Over here in the Netherlands you can get the 32" version for less than €600.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom