1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT fans - keeping things quiet

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by helipilot, Jan 21, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. helipilot

helipilot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    Having now made my HCPC virtually silent I can clearly hear the Projector :eek:

I have been reading a thread over on AVS about modifying CRT fans by adding a small circuit which gives fans an initial burst of full power and then reduces the fan speed so that less noise is generated (not slow enough to cause overheating). Just putting a resistor in line with the fans is not recommended as the fans might not start at all.

Has anyone over here tried such a mod?

Do CRT Projectors (NEC 9PG in particular) have a protection circuit which shuts them down if things get too hot, or do they just overheat and fail?

thanks in advance

2. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have a number of projectors on soak with a mod for barco fans (708,808 and 1209) but I want to be sure that the temperature is stable. It looks promising though.

The problem with the AVS type mod is that if the projector gets too hot there is no way of increasing the air flow. What I would prefer to see is a danger threshhold where the fan kicks the volume back in again.

I did have fun with Vario fans with individual sensors but that made each fan go at a differnt speed and gave a lovely beating sound.

I'm not aware of any projector that provide feed back all they have is a temperature sensor which increases the voltage to make the fans go quicker. If you just lower the voltage the fans stop and the projector breaks. Most projectors have an over temperature device.

3. JohnAd

JohnAd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Roland

Your fan mod sounds very interesting, will this mod be done to all your pjs or will you be making an optional extra?

Not that it will matter to me until I double glaze the windows in the room where mine will be going :(

John

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Chuck sent me details of the fan mod for the Sony XXXX series. I'm going to try it on mine during next spring clean. Not sure how much difference it will make though as mine is in a cabinet....

Gordon

5. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Only on the fully refurbed. The second hand jobbies looking at an extra.

I've not had time to try it on any other makes. It takes a long time to do and you loose a lot of skin getting the rubber mounts on and off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.