CRT boy gone mad? - prove me wrong

Gammy leg

Established Member
Reaction score
OK you LCD losers, I've just invested in a piece of junk called a 19" Technika LCD TV. I have treid all night to set up the picture to something close to what I've got with my trusty 'budget' CRT and I'm afraid it is NOT POSSIBLE!
So to redeem yourselves ( you boys have dipped into the CRT forum often enough spouting off just how great LCD is ) you now have the chance to point me in the direction of something that is going to change my mind.

Spec : 19"
Price : sub £200
PQ : Nothing short of WOW!

Tha ball's in your court.

Gammy

Don't buy Technika.

Ever heard the saying "You get what you pay for"

chnika is an in house label, made at the cheapest place possible.
CRTs still have their place for SD because they are emissive displays like plasmas.

LOL

1. You bought one of the worst sets
  2. The set contains a low-end TN panel design for budget monitors and has poor video processor
  3. It's a hybrid (if I'm not mistaken), which is a major no-no for primary TV usage

So yes, even a 21" ALBA/BUSH CRT will out-preform that junk.

If you want to see the true quality if LCD, you'll have to spend at least £600. However, there are some quality sets for under £400.

Last edited:
chnika is an in house label, made at the cheapest place possible.
CRTs still have their place for SD because they are emissive displays like plasmas.

That's not the only reason

This is a 'setup' post? If it is - I see no balls.

The tone of your post suggests that NOTHING is going to change your mind.

Seriously, I have owned many quality CRT TVs over the years and enjoyed the technology. But plasma & LCD have taken over and it is time to move on.

Do you like steam engines? :)

Technika?

Thats like me buying a 8" black and white CRT and complaining about it being no good for movie nights!

If I wanted a small LCD TV I would buy a modern LCD monitor:

DELL SP2309W LCD Monitor 80,000:1 contrast 2048 x 1152 Res

Then use HD Freeview Sat box or Cable TV that upscales via HDMI as your source.

It always confuses me why people buy way over priced. poor quality, small LCD TV's. :confused:

The OP isn't daft, he's just bored.

If I wanted a small LCD TV I would buy a modern LCD monitor:

DELL SP2309W LCD Monitor 80,000:1 contrast 2048 x 1152 Res

Then use HD Freeview Sat box or Cable TV that upscales via HDMI as your source.

that's a big no-no

1. That res is tooooo high for SD
2. Monitors have really bad scalers compared to HDTVs and GPUs
3. Single step scaling better than dual step scaling

It always confuses me why people buy way over priced. poor quality, small LCD TV's. :confused:

Same here

that's a big no-no

1. That res is tooooo high for SD

I don't agree that this will automatically be terrible! If you can output PAL 576i & 576P (resolution of 720x576) these are supported by the SP2309W: SP2309 Documentation

576 lines will double nicely to the 1152 lines of the monitor. Of course I can't comment on the potential quality of the horiziontal scaling: 720 -> 2048 is less straightforward, but you would get a picture.

I don't agree that this will automatically be terrible! If you can output PAL 576i & 576P (resolution of 720x576) these are supported by the SP2309W: SP2309 Documentation

576 lines will double nicely to the 1152 lines of the monitor. Of course I can't comment on the potential quality of the horiziontal scaling: 720 -> 2048 is less straightforward, but you would get a picture.

I didn't say it can't display the image

But will look poor compared to other displays.

1. 414,720 pixels vs 2,774,016 pixels (that's an increase of 6.7 times compared to 2.5x and 5x)
2. Compression + filtering, which means the source will not retain the maximum pixel yield
3. TN panels can expose compression artifacts more than VA and IPS. It can also cause additional artifacts caused by the mode.
4. Poor/average scaling

Also, the monitor will display the content directly without any processing.

So if the user want quality image, he has to choose another display, or sit further than usual.

PS: The other alternative is, he can buy a USB freeview adapter (£30) and an ATI HD4650 (£40-50) and watch it via the PC.

Last edited:
Any half decent 19" LCD will out perform your CRT. You can even out perform it with a 42" LCD if you are willing to spend the money.
Buy cheap get cheap PQ.
:rolleyes:

now everyone has had a go at the Op's original choice of TV can you answer the OP's question and provide any alternatives if there are any.

Curly

There's nothing quality for that budget accept the Sharp 19".

Wooah! Can 'o' worms or what?

Firstly I must apologise profusely for my initial post. It was late and I was completely hacked off ( with myself more than anything ) for being haranged by the wife into buying this piece of tat.
I appreciate that to get good quality I will need to spend a bit more or be a bit more careful with which spec / model I choose.

Anyway, would I be right in assuming that I will get a better PQ with a higher Contrast Ratio and if so what would be a minimum to look for with SD signal?

I am not looking at hooking up via a PC with all manner of gizmo's and gadgets. I just want to watch TV in me kitchen.

Thanks

Gammy

now everyone has had a go at the Op's original choice of TV can you answer the OP's question and provide any alternatives if there are any.

Curly

I thought I had?

Curly

I'm sorry. My response was in line with his hostility in general. I suggest he looks at spending a little more to ensure better quality. I think we all know he will not get "PQ nothing short of WOW" for less than £200.

Wooah! Can 'o' worms or what?

Firstly I must apologise profusely for my initial post. It was late and I was completely hacked off ( with myself more than anything ) for being haranged by the wife into buying this piece of tat.
I appreciate that to get good quality I will need to spend a bit more or be a bit more careful with which spec / model I choose.

Anyway, would I be right in assuming that I will get a better PQ with a higher Contrast Ratio and if so what would be a minimum to look for with SD signal?

I am not looking at hooking up via a PC with all manner of gizmo's and gadgets. I just want to watch TV in me kitchen.

Thanks

Gammy

I think contrast ratio is overhyped! I have just purchased a 37" Philips tv which has a perfect SD picture but the original retail price was £1799.00. The contrast ratio is 1200.1 Dynamic 8000. The blacks are pitch black to me. Yet some would say they want 30,000-1 or even 50000-1.
If you read some of the forum posts on different televisions and their faults you are likely to find what you want. Everybody has different ideas.
Picture quality is only one of the issues. Reliability can be just as important.
I also have A 26" Sharp Aquos in the bedroom and the picture quality is great.
I read these forums inside out before I bought my television and I am really pleased that I made the right choice.

PS. (I aint got one in the kitchen. Lucky you!)

Last edited:
I'd suggest buying somthing other than Technika, as they're not realy known for being world beaters:thumbsdow. Why not try the Toshiba 19av505, excellent little 19" LCD with a cracking picture:thumbsup:. I'm sure you could find it within your budget.

Check my signature.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom