1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT better than LCD??

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by scott33b, Aug 3, 2004.

1. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. I have a Sharp XG3785E Lcd projector. Its about 6years old. Iam considering buying a second hand CRT poss. a Barco 801s. Is this crt better than lcd? Are the colours more vivid, brighter, etc.? Thanks

2. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is a loaded question. I believe just about any CRT projector will be better in most respects than a 6 year old LCD display. That was at the dawn of fixed pixel (digital if you insist) projectors.

Pros for CRTs:

Generally better picture for the price

Good colors and resolution

High end CRTs 8" and 9" EM focused projector as still better than best digital rivals.

Meant to be and can be repaired, spares still widely available for popular models though this varies somewhat from area to area (e.g. Electrohome, Barco and NEC are widely available in the States, Electrohome parts are much less widely avaialble in Europe).

Cons for CRTs

Relatively complex to set up (not rocket science either, well unless you are talking the mechanical white balance on NECs)

Heavy and large

Getting older by the day and thus part failures may become more common

Pros for Fixed Pixel Projectors (LCD/DLP)

Generally come with built in scalers (extra cost with projectors)

Easy to set up

Brighter (though the difference is less than advertised)

Light weight

Come with a warranty

Cons for Fixed Pixel Projectors (LCD/DLP)

Disposable

Bulbs can be hard to get for older models

Cost, the better quality fixed pixels cost dollars

Artifacts (poor blacks, DLP rainbows, screen door effect, etc...)

3. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the reply. I think I'll be changing to a crt. The lamp in the lcd is getting past it. Considering buying used on e-bay.

4. secstate

secstate
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can do ok on Ebay but make sure you are comfortable doing repairs yourself and/or have access to somebody who can do them. One of my Barco 808s was from Ebay the other was U.S. Government surplus. The one I got from Ebay had great tubes, decent price, but need a repair to one of the boards. Also educate yourself as much as possible on the model you are interested in as Ebay sellers seem to mis-list things all the time. A Barco 808 Data become and Barco 808s Graphics and so on.

5. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    yes crt are much better , big and bulky, but if its picture quality you need then yes go for it ! :thumbsup:

6. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    you dont have to spend much , i got an old barco data 650 crt for £250 and it beats both the lcd and dlps i had before, so dont worry about getting high end stuff,, get a cheap one, see if you like it THEN get a dearer one later..(if you want)..im just keeping the 650 until its dying days..which seem far off in the distant future. 12 years old and it works like a charm,
    just my thoughts on the subject.

7. scott33b

scott33b
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi. Thanks for all the advice. Just Taken delivery of a Barco data 801s. I bought it on e-bay for £400. Its in excellent condition with low hours on the lamps. I didn't think it would be as big though!
    My next problem will be connecting it and setting it up!

8. rob12770

rob12770
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    sounds good scott, yes they are massive, and at first it will be a pain to set up, but once you get used to it you will find that its very worth the extra effort. :thumbsup:

9. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    One more of us one less of them

10. cinesom

cinesom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have been a CRT fan for years (installing and selling), my own demo room still has a Runco 944 (Barco chassis), but over the last couple of years clients have been wanting a more flexible (i.e. multimedia) and smaller solution. Our most recent project included installing Runco's new VX1000ci DLP. These have been precalibrated in PAL and NTSC by ISF, WOW! Amazing depth, clarity. Using the correct screen material helps- Runco reccommends the Stewart Firehawk - wham bam thank you mam! Definatly a large step forward in DLP technology and image processing, but a bit pricey!

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    I have to leap in here before Gordon but how is it possible to do an effective calibration with out all the signal equipment, cables, screen and decor in place?

All of these will affect the final image when it is installed in situ.
    All DVD player output different levels and colour balance
    All cables will have differing impedence and characteristics that will affect the signal levlel.
    Screen materials vary in colour and the amout of light they will reflect from thier suroundings
    The colour of the room will reflect onto the screen and will alter the colour balance very significantly.

It would be like performing an amplifier set up before delivery to the customer.

12. Lux In Umbra

Lux In Umbra

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Aren't the cable impedence & the colour balance issues reduced (eliminated?) using digital connections {for DLP here, remember, rather than the real deal (CRT, of course)}? (Not going to wade in on the other stuff - screen, etc, though!)

13. cinesom

cinesom
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Roland,
    A very fair point you make. What I really meant was the performance "out of the box" that was stunning.Stewart Screen was in place, decor, acoustics, cables and hardware had already been taken care of. Having been stunned by its out the box performance, we then did further calibration, but very minor to get it fully up to speed. It was twinned with Linn's Unidisk 2.1 DVD, Kisto processor, Akurate package. Unidisk has superb definition, so I supose that helps in out of the box performance.