CRT - B&O MX4000 Fuzzy/wavey picture

tommy12

Novice Member
Hi all,
I've recently got a Bang & Olufsen MX4000 from ebay, but can't get a clear picture out of it. It seems like lines are shaking or have a wave on them.
I've got some footage of it:

Currently thats a hdmi to scart converter plugged into the scart input. The same effect happens with the TVs built in menu and also a mega drive 2 plugged in via a decent quality scart cable.
Just wondering if anyone would know whats wrong with it? Also, does anyone know if people still repair these old CRT TVs - I'm in the UK?
Many thanks.

finlux

Looking at your video, the TV is on the US analogue standard NTSC. That may be a problem. Check the settings menu to see if it can be changed.

tommy12

Novice Member
Yes I've also tried PAL and the picture is equally as fuzzy.

Here is some footage of what Mario at PAL output looks like, do you notice how snow/fuzzy it all looks?

I am using a hdmi to composite scart converter. Do you think its the signal from this as opposed to a fault with the TV?

finlux

Yes I've also tried PAL and the picture is equally as fuzzy.

Here is some footage of what Mario at PAL output looks like, do you notice how snow/fuzzy it all looks?

I am using a hdmi to composite scart converter. Do you think its the signal from this as opposed to a fault with the TV?
Yes, that may be an issue. If not that then definitely the TV.

mikej

If the same thing happens when you plug in a Megadrive via scart, then presumably the fault must lie with the TV. The fact that you also see it with the TV's own menus backs this up too.

Your videos are taken really close-up - while an HD/4K signal might look sharp on a modern 1080p or 4K screen close up these days, I don't think that CRTs would stand up to similar scrutiny from such a short distance. Is it obvious from a normal viewing distance ?

CRT TVs should still be repairable, although finding someone to do it and/or getting hold of parts could be an issue. Try searching for any B&O enthusiast forums to see if there are/were any known issues.

I would think that buying a small, second-hand HD Ready / 720p LCD with a scart socket for your retro-gaming might be cheaper than getting a CRT repaired. Very early LCDs were SD - I had one, although it bit the dust a long time ago. I've seen older sets like this sold for peanuts on Facebook market place or even given away for free on local 'Free in <insert location>'-type Facebook groups.

Good luck !

andy1249

Distinguished Member
1: HDMI to scart converters are poor at best , there are no good ones.
HDMI to Scart RGB is bad enough , but to composite , that's really bad , composite is the worst possible signal to feed any TV.

2. That TV is 18 to 28 years old , depending on year of manufacture ( made from 1992 to 2003 ) and was always meant as an extension TV for another room or a hotel room , and was never top tier.

3. Back in the day , mains frequency mattered when it came to TVs , NTSC was mostly America and Japan and worked at 60hz , Pal was mostly europe and worked at 50hz , if you tried to run an NTSC or PAL in the wrong country you got that exact poor picture you posted , i.e. extra flicker over and above the normal flicker of CRT and distortion , that's if it worked at all.
TVs with universal power supplies and universal inputs only started showing up in the early noughties , and mostly only with flat screens.

4. I doubt you'd get anyone to look at it , certainly not anyone that knows what they are doing , Fixing TVs was one of my first jobs back in the early 80s and CRTs are horrible and dangerous to work on , anyone that knows them would just tell you to dump it rather than work on it. ( that would be my advice )

I dont think theres anything wrong with what you have per se , you just have the set in the wrong country and are feeding it a very poor/non compatible signal.
Note that CRTs are always going to look very poor compared to a modern TV , especially when examined closely.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom