1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT and ProgScan

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Steve Stifler, Dec 14, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    I'm hoping to move somewhere I can change my trusty old Sony VPL400 for a CRT pj - most likely a refurbished Barco from guess who? I would probably go for some sort of video processor (Rock, Vigatec, or whatever).

Question 1 is - for best image results, do you need a video processor, and if so use this with:

- DVD with prog scan
    - DVD player without prog scan

Question 2 is - I have a US model Panasonic A310 with component output (YPrPb). Should I go for a progressive scan DVD with the Sage or Silicon Image chip? I'm quite tempted by the non-progressive Meridian 596, but its a bit pricy.

Question 3 is - Adjusting the aspect ratio might be a bonus with Rock etc, for use with SKY or perhaps the odd laser disk play back - would that make a diffference, and can you input more than one component input into one of these processors.

Needless to say, I in more dire need of "The Event 2" than any other white man in history!!!!!

Steve_Stifler (an alter ego)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779

1: It depends onthe projector whether it will work with a video processor. If it will then you should use one for best picture quality. You would use a normal non-progressive DVD with an external video processor.

2: See above

3: It depends on the processor how many inputs it has. Vigatec has 8(3xs, 3 x yuv/rgbinterlaced and 2 x RGB/yuv progressive or pass thru), Rock has 3 (composite,s-vid,component)... so you need to check what you want to do before viewing them.

Aspect ratio control is for making the geometry correct with the shape of screen you choose to use. Some device like Rock, Quadscan, Vigatec can "anamorphise) letterbox images to increase vertical resolution. This actually works well with these discs and can be quite beneficial.

Gordon

3. Steve Stifler

Steve Stifler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +569
    Gordon Convergent

Thanks for your helpful reply. I've been watching the forum on and off for some time and appreciate the advice from you and the other knowledgeable contributors. I appreciate the time you and other put into this.

Regards

Steve_Stifler (read name Jeremie)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.