CRT and High Def?

cHk4

Banned
Right I am not going to lie the whole high def, 720 1080 stuff confuses me! Sorta get the i and p stuff :p

Any way, I am really in to gaming. I have always owned CRT. When I got my CRT monitor last year I spent £500 + on it because it was said one of the best for gaming!

Now the choice for CRT is no delay. LCD, Plasma have a delay! I know its only ms's ( is when it comes to pc!) but you can notice it!

Now my question is I want to come in to the high def era, I run my xbox 360 through my PC monitor atm and well it is sexy but 19 inch's is to small and well its not quiet sharp enough and is quiet dull!

When it comes to HD TV's what is there out there that is 42 inchs + (50,52 inch is the biggist I really want ) that has a really low delay ? I mean really low? Dont like the idea of 1 second + delay. Well Dont like the idea of delay at all .

How come there is no CRT high def sets in the UK? As well I know it would prob be the biggist thing in the world but there would be no delay!

Thanks in advance!

Sonic67

Banned
Well CRT's can have their own faults. The picture is made up of three coloured dots. Look at the image up close and you can see the black grid inbetween. With an LCD pixel it displays the colour it's told. CRT can also have convergence errors, be distorted if not flat and is big and heavy.

I play games on a 37" LCD. I also have a 21" CRT monitor. Of the two I prefer the LCD. Playing a game on a massive screen makes such a difference. As it's so big it fills more of your peripheral vision and makes you feel part of the game.

The other thing is that flat screens are the future. Manufacturing and investment has gone into them and they look fine to me.

Samsung do a hi-def CRT TV but it is apparently not worth bothering with.

http://www.t3.co.uk/news/247/entertainment/other/europes_first_hd_ready_crt

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/03/13/samsung_hd_ready_crt_tv/

Stephen Neal

Distinguished Member
Well CRT's can have their own faults. The picture is made up of three coloured dots. Look at the image up close and you can see the black grid inbetween. With an LCD pixel it displays the colour it's told. CRT can also have convergence errors, be distorted if not flat and is big and heavy.
LCDs and Plasmas also use three coloured "dots" - they have separate R,G and B pixels as well... There isn't some magic "multi-coloured" pixel technology - they all use tri-stimulus colour.

LCDs have much slower response time than most TV CRTs, and poorer gamma, black levels and contrast. They also often have a narrower colour gamut than CRT. They DO have a fixed pixel nature - unlike CRT - which can give them excellent geometry.

However for ultimate picture quality monitoring in broadcast HD applications - CRTs are still deemed to be the highest quality displays. LCDs are improving - and Sony, in particular, are pushing them at the broadcast level. However if you go to any decent HD production environment, the final quality control will be on a CRT.

Of course the weight, smaller screen size, and cost of making a decent HD CRT with decent geometry, and decent brightness (geometry is more difficult on brighter CRTs) mean that consumer HD CRTs on sale in the UK are pants - and unlikely to improve.

I'm hoping my 50Hz Sony CRT SD display doesn't die just yet - as I've yet to see a plasma or LCD I could be as happy with. (I have a VERY critical picture quality eye - and spend most of my working day looking at banks of broadcast quality CRTs...)

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
Any way, I am really in to gaming. I have always owned CRT. When I got my CRT monitor last year I spent £500 + on it because it was said one of the best for gaming!

Now the choice for CRT is no delay. LCD, Plasma have a delay! I know its only ms's ( is when it comes to pc!) but you can notice it!
I rather doubt that. The main "delay" with LCDs is the latency of the pixels. With a "slow" LCD panel you can get blurred motion because the pixels can't switch quickly enough from one frame to the next. But most LCD displays are now fast enough that this doesn't happen any more.

You may see motion-blur on modern LCD screens but, if you do, it's not caused by latency. A more likely candidate is excessive noise-reduction processing, which can affect all types of display equally.

Plasma screens have never suffered from any sort of measurable latency problem.

When it comes to HD TV's what is there out there that is 42 inchs + (50,52 inch is the biggist I really want ) that has a really low delay ? I mean really low? Dont like the idea of 1 second + delay. Well Dont like the idea of delay at all .
Nothing out there has a "1 second + delay" or ever has had. As soon as the latency gets down to less than the interval between successive frames, all displays will be equal in that respect. So, if you're talking true latency figures of 1/60th of a second or less, then all displays will respond the same.

(There is a slight exception to that, in that CRT monitors can be refreshed at >60 frames per second. On exceptionally fast-moving games this can slightly reduce the controller-latency - that is, the time between when you move the mouse or press a button and when the screen updates as a consequence. But that presupposes that your hardware is capable of running the game consistently faster than 60fps, which is a big assumption, and is never the case for consoles, only high-end PCs).

How come there is no CRT high def sets in the UK?
The problem is size. If you wanted to make a CRT screen capable of displaying 1080p high-definition then, to get most out of it, you'd need to have a screen size well over 50". That would require a television about five feet deep weighing so much that you'd have to reinforce the floor in order to prevent it from breaking the floorboards. And I shudder to think what it would cost.

There are hi-def CRT televisions in america, but they don't support 1080p. In fact I'm not sure any of them even support 720p - mostly 1080i native, I think. That's a bit easier to do, but still requires a very large, very heavy TV. They're popular in america partly because they've had HD transmissions in america for about 12 years, and, when they first started, there was no other technology available; partly because american houses on average have much larger rooms than british houses; and also partly because americans are slightly less affected than britons by the bizarre disease that makes people care more about how thin a television is than what the picture quality is like.

NicolasB

Distinguished Member
LCDs and Plasmas also use three coloured "dots" - they have separate R,G and B pixels as well... There isn't some magic "multi-coloured" pixel technology - they all use tri-stimulus colour.
Some projection (including rear-projection) technologies don't. DLP, LCOS (otherwise known as DLA or SXRD), Sony's "3LCD" system, and CRT projection all avoid having three distinct sub-pixels. (Although they all have issues of their own).

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom