CRT and DVI

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by eugdog2, Jun 18, 2004.

1. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had set my heart on a cRT projector to replace my DLP. But ever since I purchased the Samsung H935 with its DVI input -the improvement has been staggering. In fact it is so much better I do not really want a CRT unless it has a DVI input.

Do any old CRTs have DVI - is there any adapter I can get.

Otherwise I am gonna stick to DLP! The gap in quality is too close to offset some of the practical disadvantages of CRT (size, wieght etc)

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    CRT's are analogue. They need to get an analogue RGB feed to function. The DVI feed will therefore be turned in to analogue at some point anyway. Your choice is really where that happens, in the DVD player or in the projector.

You may notice a superior performance from the DVI output of the Samsung because the analogue outputs might be crap.......or perehaps the analogue inputs of your chosen display are crap incomparison to the DVI ones.

I would choose your new display based on what has the best picture quality rather than what has the socketry you have found best with your current display.

Having said all that I do not know of any DVI input CRT devices. However there are external video processors that will take a DVI signal in and output an RGBHV signal suitable for a CRT projector.

Cheers,

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    "Any one know of a DVD player with a volume knob".

The digital device will look better fed a digital signal because of the poor analog to digital circuits. My experience is that they add a faulse sharpness and you end up with a picture that looks like video rather than film.

Feed a digital signal to a good scaller then to the projector and you will see what the CRT fuss is about.

4. Orbital

Orbital

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Amen to that! :thumbsup:

5. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am not arguing that the DVI throught a DLP is better then a CRT. I know what CRTs are capable of and they are still the best - that is why I asked if any CRTs have DVI inputs

But the gap between CRT and DVI - DLP projectors has narrowed significantly in my view and to such an extent that factors come in to play! Specifically the enormous bulk of the CRT and its unsuitability to computer inputs because of the tube wear (according to Roland Brooks) and issues about its reliability and support (as evidence by some of the problems discussed on this web site)

BTW I do have a Denon 2800 Mark 2 DVD player - one the best around. But even the componant inputs are no match for the DVI inputs on my humble Samsung HD935. My Denon is now just a mere back up! DVI is that good!!!

6. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    CRT's are analogues devices you would have to convert back to analogue eventually anyway. My guess is that you would loose quality having a DVI interface. Also you can't compare component from a Denon 2800 to high resolution RGBHV.

7. eugdog2

eugdog2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is news to me - I thought componant was the highest level of quality. Can you tell me more about RGBHV and how you get it on a DVD player or scaler

8. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,042
    Component YPrPb is an analogue compressed version of an RGB signal.

There are a few DVD players that output RGB. The info on the DVD disc is digital component colourspace.

You would get RGBHV by sending the digital or analogue interlaced colourspace signal to a decent video processor which would then do the de-interlcaing and scaling and would output a RGBHV signal that would be ideal for driving a CRT projector.

Gordon