1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT and ambient light

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rdg, Aug 29, 2001.

1. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having read with much envy about the demonstrations at The Event, and as we are about to move to a larger place I am wondering about the limitations of CRT projectors.<br />In a largeish room (21'x14'), with pale walls, with blackout curtains, would a CRT/Barco provide enough illumination on say a 2-3m screen?<br />I apologise if this has beed dealt with before, but my appetite has well and truly been whetted.<br />Although not directly relevant to here, I am interested in how much the Vigatec scalers were at The Event.

Richard

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,780
    The Barco 808's folk have should be happy on something like an 8ft wide screen. A Cine7 should be pretty nice too. At the Event we used a 60 x 80" screen. STUDIOTEK130 material. It was a small room about 3.5 - 4m square. It was painted very light blue and had a black out blind and some curtains.

Hope this is some us.

The Vigatec go from around £3300 -£4500 I think. This can be confirmed. We bought ours direct from Vigatec before they had any distribution so I'm not exactly sure on UK pricing.

Gordon

3. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Richard<br />IMHO CRT is still unbeatable for near cinema quality pictures.<br />The down side is they require total blackout.<br />When you start complaining that the LED readouts from your AMPS,DVD etc is shining on the screen you have cut the ambient light down enough.

As Gordon says an 808 on a 8ft screen 1.3 gain screen would be perfect.These projectors will happily go to bigger up to 12ft if needed.

There is a compromise of seating possition too. Work on sitting about 1.5 times the screen width away. but the design of your room may change this and thus your screen size.