1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CRT advice, which 32" model is best ?

Discussion in 'TVs' started by thedaz, Jul 13, 2005.

1. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please can you help !! I was going to buy LCD HD READY but i feel they are not quite there yet in terms of everyday use i.e. Sky, terrestrial etc. Anyway heres the crux of the matter. Can you reccomend me a couple of excellent CRT's which are 32" with built in digital tv and 100 mhz. Can you get HD ready CRT's? Or does that defeat the object ? As many recommendations as you like quality first / budget second. Oh also a CRT with good speakers as im not going to introduce 5.1 to the room.

Thanks for your time

Darren

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    B&O Beovision 3 32" or Avant 32" the best CRT's in the world...................

3. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK , i asked for that.........within reason say £1000. Im thinking maybe a some gems that have been reduced because a new model is out. Are sony WEGA any good ? Panasonic? how about Toshiba 32ZP48 ? I can get that for less than £600, or how about the Loewe VITROS 6381ZP ? I can get that for £765 both have stands.

Help!!

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    a basic stand is pretty standard with a every high end CRT Loewe Panny Sony JVC and Toshiba all make good sets are good IDTV sets thats a different kettle of donkeys

5. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Whats IDTV ? and is the Toshiba 36ZP48 CRT ? its not rear projection is it ? whats the difference between that and 32Zp48 ? is it just the size ? they are going very cheap.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    IDTV (integrated Digital TV) ie Freeview tuner and yes the difference is the size get a good 36" and they are great an bad one is horrid i reconmend the JVC 36P38 compatible with 1080i HD signals over compoanent some others are too but the JVC is my FAV of the Big Boys they are HUGE...............................

7. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bad one ? whats wrong with this model (toshiba)? Surely if they were so different they would be recalled ?

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    no the process of making a 36" CRT is very hard and complex and somehow the quality control is a bit more lax so you may go through 3-4 units before you get a good one, there are also very few plants making 36£ CRTs now so often the badge on the front is nothing to do with the tube inside

9. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony are a safe brand for IDTVs and their 50Hz TVs have a good picture

10. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I`m going through the same dilema!!! :eek:

Spoke to several TV engineers and they have clearly stated to stay away from Sony (high breakdown rate), Philips (tubes crap) - Panasonic are generally very good (the higher end units), they appears to make al/mostl items in house? - low break down rates in general. :thumbsup: Alot of TV (especially CRT have the same cheap chassis, a cheap CRT may have the same chassis as a JVC several hundred pounds more expensive!!)

I was looking for a 32" LCD (seen the samsung unit at curry's), put off by Samsung (crap CRT's) initally, but god damn that thing looks good. It was considering the slim line CRT (32" samsung WS32Z308p), again that looks ok, it is sold as HD 1080i ready via components? No free view though.

Again to repeat some advice i was given avoid internal freeview etc.. they generally go wrong!! buy an external unit??

So what do you do??

I appear to be paralyzed by analysis!!!! surely anything has got to be better than my now defunked 24" 4:3 Nokia (rebadged Bush)?? Surely?? Maybe??

11. mo

mo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    i cant even see the point of buying brand new.
    i suggest you look on ebay.
    some of the b&o avants represent super value for money.
    two days ago some bought a mint ex-demo loewe acconda (gloss black) with hard drive and stand (inc sub') for 800 pounds.
    if your going to change in a couple of years time anytime then this way would serve you in the most ecomical way

good luck

12. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the second hand advice, just never thought it was viable option......ex demo tv's scare me !!!

13. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ignore whoever told you that load of old toss for a start! If you want to see a balanced view of reliability have a look at the latest Which? magazine's brand reliability survey. It's based on a large sample of UK consumers and paints a very different picture to the opinions of the 'several TV engineers' you've spoken to, especially with regard to IDTV reliability.

14. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well ive just bought a brand new panasonic tx32pd50 for £739.79 whick includes delivery and it arrives on monday.happy days

15. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The advice i had received is their own opinion - not mine (i dont have one as yet). But a fact of life:the more a piece of equipment has - the higher the chance that something will go wrong with it..

I apologise if i`m not helping the original question, but surely the most qualified people to ask are the engineers actually fixing/collecting these units on a daily basis? (not a Curry's salesperson)?

I personally do not like the Tosh/Panny 32" units, my wife actually loved the slimline Samsung 32"!! - so what do ya do?

16. benbtg

benbtg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good choice! I just had my PD50 arrive yesterday and love it! :clap:
    Afraid I got mine a bit cheaper, got it for £613! :oops:

Even still you wont be disappointed.
    As long as your not one of the unlucky ones!.
    The picture through component inputs and progressive scan is literally breath taking! I've tried a ton of different DVD's to stress it and they all look amazing. Monsters Inc and Shrek especially!

Still cant get component to work from my JVC M10 DVD recorder though, seems the PD50 can be a bit piccy about its component video source. Something to bear in mind.

17. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry im knew to this so composite ? Progressive scan ? :confused:

Help me out here,please !! :lesson:

I was just going to use scart.....can you reccomend a good dvd player to match.....a one thats multi region and plays dvdr's

.........and to the poster whom also bought a panny and cheaper, good on you mate, just seems i got in a little late but its free delivery all the same. I could have had the tosh for £600

18. TV Headache

TV Headache
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Engineers are great for telling you what type of thing goes wrong with certain models BUT they can't and don't take into account how many of them were sold in the first place. They fix more Sonys because there are more Sony's out there, not because they are less reliable.

19. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    I just got a samsung 32" flatscreen tv for £399 inc stand. If you read the forum there are plenty unhappy sony and panasonic owners paying a small fortune for a 32" tv. There is nothing on these more expensive tv's worth paying the extra. A couple of years ago i went for a toshiba 36" tv and it was a nightmare..flashing contrast flaring on black borders geometry crap. This cost £1500 at the time.
    Extra connections like componment progressive etc don't make much difference on a 32" model the screen is that small you don't get a dramatic improvement. My cinema set up is with a infocus projector throwing out a 720 progressive signal onto a 6ft screen :smashin: high def material looks excellent but if i played or could play a high def movie like gladiator on my 32" tv it would not look a lot better than the standard dvd. :lesson:
    I am so for very happy with the samsung geometry and picture quality are first rate.

20. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My panny is here and i have just set it up (on my own, sh*t that thing is heavy) and its fantastic. Better than i had hoped. :smashin:

21. martian1

martian1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Nice one :thumbsup: enjoy :D

22. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing though, when i have just ran a dvd it came up a washed out white colour. However when i turned the dvd to ntsc mode it worked fine. Any ideas?

23. benn_jii

benn_jii

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I take & understand your point completely, i also work in the electronic service industry (although not TV/white goods) but electrical all the same. These points of view are from highly experieced engineers, that all work for separate companies and spread over the north of england, maybe the Sony`s just dont like our weather/accent?

Anyhoot this is not helping the question in the original thread..

I'm still no further with a decision i feel comfortable about..

24. Zero One

Zero One
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another lucky purchase for me saw me bring home a tx32pd50c for £649 yesterday....really nice set, great looks, and a cracking picture.

anyone know about a service menu on these things......I fancy a little play just to perfect the picture (all those years setting up monitors mean I can see ALL the flaws....but they are only VERY minor and dont detract from viewing)

25. thedaz

thedaz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wont mind knowing that myself !!! And ive just ordered Sky+, what the best way to hook it up on mine? (PD50

26. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    for SKy+ i think S-video will look better, try RGB scart, but i think the PD chassis will handle S-video better.

27. Noo

Noo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a Sony KD32DX20, now 5 years old, girlfriend moved out and has taken it with her :mad:

I am trying to buy another Sony the KD32DX200BD to replace it. Its Sony's flagship 32" CRT but has been discontinued and is getting hard to find.

Isn't buying the same brand again a good advert?

They perform, look good and to be honest "ours" behaved without a glitch or problem.

:)