CRT 32" 50Hz

T

thewolf

Hi,
I was going to buy a Thomson 32WB642S (CRT 32", 100Hz, component input, progressive scan, Hi-Pix, etc.), but then I realized I could buy a cheaper TV in order to save some money to buy a video projector in the near future ...

I would like to get a good CRT 32" 50Hz with RGB input.

Do you have any recommendation?

Will the flickering be very noticeble compared to a 100Hz set?
Will I be able to live with it?

Thanks!

Funny I am doing just the same thing at present. I want something that will see me good for a year, or until funds allow for the Donimo 20.

So dont really fancy spending loads in the meantime.

Fish

Sony are good - very nice RGB picture

Panasonic tend to be very good. In my opinion, I prefer a 50Hz scanning tv to 100Hz anyhow

ad

Just watch out many sets even 50hz ones don't have a true direct RGB mode and 100hz sets definitely don't as they have to frame grab and process the image so it can't go directly to the tube guns. Brands that do RGB well tend to be Thomson, Philips and Panasonic of the top of my head. I'm sure many will make the case for other brands but in my experience the two european companies and Panasonic seem to do a better job of it. Certainly the performance of some Toshiba sets is very disappointing for RGB. Of course many budget 32" sets are made by Vestel in Turkey and while they do RGB quite well the fact is they only offer mediocre picture performance anyway due to using the cheapest possible philips tubes mainly.

Any of the 50Hz only Sonys

JVC have a new range of 50Hz TV's out...the AV32T4 and AV32R4

One with with a subwoofer and one without.

Still early days, but they are very nice to look at! If the old 50hz they are replacing is anything to go by they should be good.

2 RGB inputs I think unllike the new Panasonic range which only has 2 scart sockets full stop...unless you buy the intergrated digital TV sets..

Why is it that 100hz sets do not appear to give better picture quality than 50Hz

I have a Panasonic 32txps5 with Dolby Digital, picture is excellent, although only one RGB scart. Although there are products to increase the amount of RGB inputs.
Overall, having a choice over 50hz or 100hz, i'll go for the 50hz everytime. 100hz seems to make the picture more grainy.

The benefit of a 50hz set is they can take an RGB signal and merely amplify it and send it directly to the guns of the tube. No real processing goes on. A 100hz set has to frame grab everything that comes in to process it so it can create 2x as many fields as before (2 fields per frame on interlace tvs). The circuitry in 100hz sets with regard the tuner/s-video/composite is normally better than 50hz sets so what basically happens is RGB is slightly reduced in quality to a 50hz set but other inputs are slightly improved. Thats my experience of 100hz sets anyway. So 50hz represent the best picture as RGB is the best quality source and 50hz do it best. However this is only true if your not sensitive to flicker and the set has a true straight through RGB mode. On a 100hz or progressive set component represents the best quality image but I still think a good RGB image on a 50hz set has better purity and contrast of colour and full original detail.

After 4 1/2 years I am still impressed by my TV

The JVC website has finally been updated to incorporate the new models.

The 50Hz model makes mention of RGB in being on scart 1 and scart 2

Originally posted by scrapbook
The JVC website has finally been updated to incorporate the new models.

The 50Hz model makes mention of RGB in being on scart 1 and scart 2
What is the JVC model number?

What are the Sony model numbers for 50Hz TV sets?

Thanks!

JVC have three new models out at the moment...
AV32X4 100 Hz and Prgs NTSC pic
AV32R4 50hz Pro Logic II with detachable woofer
AV32T4 50hz Nicam

The funny thing is the web site is slightly wrong...the R4 and T4 show the old chassis...the new chassis is the same as the X4 on the web site (as i have seen them in Comet)

The 50hz JVC have excellent reviews generally...the only slight prob by all accounts is the RGB playback is a little dark on the previous models..hopefully this has been sorted on the new models!

The 'T4' also comes in black...if that takes your fancy..very rare indeed these days!

I'm not sure what the current ones are as they seem to be getting a little bit too cheap, but I think one is KD32DX50 and another is KD32DL??

Originally posted by scrapbook
JVC have three new models out at the moment...
AV32X4 100 Hz and Prgs NTSC pic
AV32R4 50hz Pro Logic II with detachable woofer
AV32T4 50hz Nicam

SNIP

The 'T4' also comes in black...if that takes your fancy..very rare indeed these days!

I wish other manufacturers would follow JVC's lead, and bring back all black TV's. I hate silver/grey.!!!

Yep, although the trend these days seems to be a black frame with silve parts..see new Sony, JVC, Philips, Panasonic models!

Not sure if I like or not myself!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom