Crown XLS DriveCore 2 Series Class-D Power Amps

worth bearing in mind the details about the effect of its gain dial, see Behringer A500 for details

This report is from 2007, so may not be relevant to the current range. The one I bought last year looks slightly different and has different specs to the one in the report.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed, the amp has been updated, but I have not seen a review of the current amp. Mine has different LEDs a different plate on the back as well. I would be interested to see how a Crown would stack up. (I would expect it to be significantly better).

I have not noticed any issues with any change in timbre or noticeable distortion when altering the gain control, but in a surround system, you could set the gains to full and adjust the gain on the AVR. Failing that, a passive gain control would be pennies and would allow external trimming.

As the reviewer says, trust your ears. I still rate this as a good amplifier and I really don't think you will hear weird HF or anything like that.

The specs read well for the Crown and the A500 from Behringer, but they really do not look to fit in with a modern understated setup, they both look a bit brash and loud, unfortunate really otherwise certainly could be tempted I think
Ultimately I reckon I'll be importing an Emotiva A500 BasX, certainly fits the bill for rears and Atmos duties

Finally decided to take the plunge with one of these ... should be receiving the XLS1502 at some point next week.

Regarding triggering, does anyone have a simple solution for triggering several of these at once? I know they have a trigger (not the normal 12v one), and that one can cobble together a trigger, but I don't trust myself with soldering etc.

One thought is to leave them switched on on the amp, and turn them on and off from the mains, as I've seen multi-plugs that can be triggered. Any thoughts on whether there could be any problems with this? I know using this method for subs can cause a 'thump' when the sub turns on, but I figure that wouldn't happen for other speakers...

The switch on is silent, as they soft start, but you will get a slight "wompf" when they switch off from the mains. Not enough to cause damage in my experience.

Great, thanks. Looks like the multi-plug option might be the best bet then.

Received the XLS1502 yesterday. Looks nicer in person than in pics, but not living room friendly really (mine will be hidden from view). Also - these things are tiny!

EDIT - initially I thought one channel wasn't working, but it turned out I needed to both change the input sensitivity and adjust the gain to at least two o' clock on the dial. Now it works fine.

Attachments

• 20170505_162423.jpg
    20170505_162423.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Seems I've got a ground loop issue - there's a hum from the speakers that goes away when the RCAs are removed from the rear of the amp. I gather this is a common issue with these amps/pro gear, but I've never had to deal with it before.

I'm currently reading up on possible ways around this, but if anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

Things I've tried with no success:

- switching the RCAs for RCA-XLRs
- plugging in to a separate mains socket (although the same two-socket outlet)

Yes, a transformer based humbucker will work, you need 2 to give your 4 channels. They can alter the tonal balance of the signal however, as the transformer won't have fully linear characteristics.

Another option which can work is to re-wire the RCA-XLRs, so that you connect to the signal to the Hot (Pin 2) and the earth to signal Cold (Pin 3). Leave the earth (Pin 1) disconnected. Some cables are wired with Pin 3 and Pin 1 wired together, but with most electronically balanced inputs this works.

I use a Behringer hum destroyer with my Behringer A500. Eradicates the noise completely.

Behringer MICROHD Hum Destroyer HD400: Amazon.co.uk: Musical Instruments

Thanks for the quick response. From what I've read so far, it seems it's either one of these or addressing the problem with the mains somehow. One of these would be the easier option I suppose. I'd probably need several as I was thinking of adding multiple Crowns. I'm assuming it has no effect on sound quality (apart from removing the hum)?

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks for the quick response. From what I've read so far, it seems it's either one of these or addressing the problem with the mains somehow. One of these would be the easier option I suppose. I'd probably need several as I was thinking of adding multiple Crowns. I'm assuming it has no effect on sound quality (apart from removing the hum)?
It doesn't seem to change the sound quality. I am using it now between my PC and the Behringer A500 and it is fine.

For a while I had it between an AVR pre-outs and the Behringer A500 and I had to turn the gain controls on the A500 up higher when the hum destroyer was in place. So, it may have lowered the power throughput. But that might have been my set-up at the time.

At least with Amazon, you can try and return if need be.

Yes, a transformer based humbucker will work, you need 2 to give your 4 channels. They can alter the tonal balance of the signal however, as the transformer won't have fully linear characteristics.

Another option which can work is to re-wire the RCA-XLRs, so that you connect to the signal to the Hot (Pin 2) and the earth to signal Cold (Pin 3). Leave the earth (Pin 1) disconnected. Some cables are wired with Pin 3 and Pin 1 wired together, but with most electronically balanced inputs this works.

Ah, we seem to have posted at the same time, and you've answered my question about sound quality - thanks.

Hmmm, rewiring RCA-XLRs could be an option then. Anything that involves solder does allow for the possibility of my electronics ineptitude messing things up though, but could be worth a shot...

I think there may be a new amp on the block. Well, there doesn't seem to be many reviews around anyway. The Behringer KM1700. 2 x 500 watts into 8 ohms. Toroidal transformer. All for under £200!

More info here:

KM1700 | Portable Amplifiers | Power Amplifiers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

Anyone any views or experience of this one?
Looking at the specs, it's a pretty standard budget pa amplifier. Forced air cooling,so might be quite noisy.

Plenty of bang for your buck though. Maybe for a sub, but conventional linear power supplies do not perform as well as switched mode in high current applications, as line sag is generally worse.

Looking at the specs, it's a pretty standard budget pa amplifier. Forced air cooling,so might be quite noisy.

Plenty of bang for your buck though. Maybe for a sub, but conventional linear power supplies do not perform as well as switched mode in high current applications, as line sag is generally worse.
Okay. I can't find any info on whether the fans are on all the time, or heat sensitive. And no reviews or experiences of real world performance in a home theatre set up.

I guess someone will try one at some point. With it being plain black it wouldn't be too out of place on a hi fi rack.

Any views on ' Accelerated Transient Response'?

EDIT: With regard to switched power supplies, would this be the same with all pa amps, eg the Crown XLS series and the Behringer A500 also seem to be linear power supplies, is that correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back in the market again for a power amp. I got hold of a Behringer KM750, unfortunately the fan noise is not livable with in the lounge. It comes on at full blast when the amp is powered on and stays that way throughout. It looks like the fan would be fairly easily modded, but I'm not sure if I fancy trying that myself.

Interestingly, it has a ground lift switch on the back, which got rid of quite a lot of noise for me. The noise I get seems to be related to having a HTPC connected to the AVR via HDMI, then the AVR connected to the power amp via an RCA to 6.35mm cable.

So, I have ordered a Crown XLS 1502, to see what all the fuss is about. It looks like the fan only comes on when it senses heat, so in a home cinema use, with lots of ventilation, I am expecting it probably won't come on at all. However, no ground lift switch, so I may have to use the Behringer hum destroyer, but with 300 watts of headroom, I think I can afford to lose a little throughput.

@DougAP how did you get on with the hum destroyer and noise that you were experiencing? And do people generally leave the Crowns powered on permanently, I presume they have low power consumption when idle?

Back in the market again for a power amp. I got hold of a Behringer KM750, unfortunately the fan noise is not livable with in the lounge. It comes on at full blast when the amp is powered on and stays that way throughout. It looks like the fan would be fairly easily modded, but I'm not sure if I fancy trying that myself.

Interestingly, it has a ground lift switch on the back, which got rid of quite a lot of noise for me. The noise I get seems to be related to having a HTPC connected to the AVR via HDMI, then the AVR connected to the power amp via an RCA to 6.35mm cable.

So, I have ordered a Crown XLS 1502, to see what all the fuss is about. It looks like the fan only comes on when it senses heat, so in a home cinema use, with lots of ventilation, I am expecting it probably won't come on at all. However, no ground lift switch, so I may have to use the Behringer hum destroyer, but with 300 watts of headroom, I think I can afford to lose a little throughput.

@DougAP how did you get on with the hum destroyer and noise that you were experiencing? And do people generally leave the Crowns powered on permanently, I presume they have low power consumption when idle?
I gave up on it pretty quickly and returned it I'm afraid. The hum and lack of convenient trigger were niggles I didn't want to put up with, and at the same time I happened upon a really good used Arcam P7, so I got that instead.

The Crown XLS 1502 is working out well with the Marantz SR7011. I did have the ground noise when my HTPC was switched on, but the amp has an input sensitivity setting of 1.4V or 0.775V. With it switched to the lower setting and the Behringer hum destroyer in place, there seems to be no loss of volume. I presume that means that the audio from the AVR pre-outs, through the hum destroyer and into the Crown is still 0.775V or more, so I am not losing power. The only downside is lack of trigger, but, as it is Class D, I think even if I forget to switch it off occasionally, it will not use up much electric.

If the Crown hadn't worked out, I was going to try the Emotiva Bas X A-300 next, but the pro audio amps seem much better value.

Have re-run Audyssey with the Crown in place, and all seems well, we are now listening at volumes lower than previously. Around -20, whereas before, we were cranking it up to -10 or higher.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom