Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.....

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by tee, Dec 30, 2000.

1. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    I've had a few beers tonight and discussed Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon and have decided I need to buy this film. The reviews are unreal and the film SHOULD be class.

Movietyme have got it on pre-order as a region 3 release but I am a little worried about the quality of picture and sound (is is 5.1?). Has anyone got any details on this release?

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Cheers.

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk Now new and improved....

[This message has been edited by tee (edited 31-12-2000).]

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, its a Columbia Tristar R3 release so should be pretty good.

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    I too, need to get hold of this film ASAP, although I am happy (and prepared) to wait for a Region 1 release.

The trailer is fab, and the movie has been unanimously given 10/10 in every review I've read thus far. Could this be the first major movie hit for 2001?!

Does anyone have any more info on the R3 DVD release, e.g. extras, audio etc, and also can someone tell me what Region R3 covers, please?

Thanks,

Pooch

4. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    R3 is China and Hong Kong predominantly.

The film was released in the cinemas over there in July 2000. Funnily enuff, it wasn't really that much of a hit over there.

5. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can't wait untill this Friday to see it.

6. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Yeah I ordered it from Movietyme in the end - apparantly it will be anamorphic and Dolby Digital 5.1 and it's out next Monday. I downloaded the trailer and it looks amazing. [​IMG]

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk Now new and improved....

7. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    My brother is going to Hong Kong at the end of the week.

Anyone want him to bring back a copy?

(only joking - he's already got 2 on order for me and my other bro!)

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

Saw my first film at the cinema today, since "Gladiator" - the rather unusually titled "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon".

Well, I have to admit that it's bloody strange! This film is nothing like you will ever imagine or expect. I guess that's because despite reviews of it, it's not entirely a drama, nor is it full of martial arts stuff either. It's essentially this surreal mix of both, and yet neither! (This may make more sense once you actually get to see it!)

I have to admit, that whilst it was fairly entertaining, this is not quite as good as I had anticipated. Firstly, it's one of the longest 2-hour films you will ever see! Time seems to come to a virtual standstill, while watching this baby! Also, for reasons I have yet to discover, the sound appears to only be in TV-format stereo, with no Surround sound of any description! This seemed really odd to me, as I don't think I've ever encountered any cinema film that has such a soundtrack. Maybe someone else can verify or disprove this statement?

The first thing you must know, is that you need to concentrate throughout the entire duration, and not let your brain slip out of gear, for a second! It's not that the movie's complex to follow, but a lot of the characters come and go, and theres some stuff which takes place in another part of the world, with characters who look very similar to one of the major ones, but who isn't the same person at all.... At least, I don't think so. Again, I may be wrong on this. So pay attention. Post-pub stuff, this ain't!

The picture is very dark in contrast, and is so dark, that at times, you can barely see what's going on! This shouldn't be happening, especially when the film is a brand new print, however, it may be that now that I am so used to picture-perfect clarity on DVD, that my eyes aren't used to cinema "quality".

As I said, the plot isn't too complex, but there are tons of characters, and the subtitles go very quickly, so you need to stay on your toes. The action scenes are good, although in my opinion, there was not enough of them. Sadly however, whilst it is well-known that the stunts were done with high-wires, etc, and then the ropes and cables were all digitally erased, some of the stunts look very, very phoney, which is a shame for this film. Sometimes the actors are "pretend walking/running" to climb up a wall, and it look blatantly fake - not unlike that so-bad-it's-good kind of dubbing on badly-dubbed foreign films, where the actors mouths are all out of sinc. Also the tree-top fight at the end, is dubious to say the least, stuntwise!

Despite these criticisms, I'd still say go and see it, but just be forwarned. I think I'd like to see this movie again on DVD, with better picture quality, re-mastered subtitles and a proper Dolby 5.1 or DTS soundtrack, before I make my final decision on whether or not its a good film or a great film, as I'm still a little bit unsure, and I did briefly nod-off, due to the cinema being so stuffy. Maybe when the DVD comes out, it will be re-evaluated!

Pooch

9. gwbailey

gwbailey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    tee,

When you get your copy of CTHD R3 please let me know how good it is, as I also want a copy.

Reason being, I can't get it in any of my local Cinemas!

Is anyone else having this problem?

Also when is the R1 out?

Graham

10. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Where is this film available on R3?

Anyway website most appreciated.

11. mikauk

mikauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  12. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    I must own this film.

Can anyone tell me if the R3 release is NTSC or PAL.

Thanks.

Dave.

13. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Likely to be PAL coz Hong Kong is officially a PAL area.

14. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx mikauk I tried MovieTyme but they don't sell it.

Any other suggests?

15. mikauk

mikauk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah they do mate scroll down to the bottom of there home page I ordered a copy yesterday

16. Dave_W

Dave_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, Movietyme must have the worst website of any of the online DVD retailers.

Just look at the best sellers list and click on the Crouching tiger name to add to cart (dont expect this to link you to details of the disc thought - lol!)

I was looking for 5th element and found it through the search engine but it doesnt then have a link to buy it! shambles!

still decent prices and service though, they obviously keep overheads including web design to an absolute minimum!

17. Dave_W

Dave_W

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    doh! just noticed that they have now put the main details on their home page....

lets hope the release date doesnt change.

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well hate to rain on your parade but it has slipped now to the 12th Jan at the earliest.

------------------
    Webmaster. http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

[This message has been edited by Jenz @ Bullets n Babes (edited 09-01-2001).]

19. MrFurious

MrFurious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,895
  20. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx mikauk

MovieTyme really to sort out their website, most of the films you can't even order online.

21. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    MrFurious,

No the subtitles are clean, crisp and clear. Easy to follow, though you do need to pay attention to the them and the Story.

On a side note when I saw it in Milton Keynes the picture was washed out and colour was muted. Print had obviously gone around the houses a few times. Be glad to see it *properly* on DVD.

------------------
    Webmaster.
    http://www.bulletsnbabesdvds.com

22. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    My brother just called from Hong Kong.

He got my CTHD DVD yesterday and it's in the post.

Hehe. Luverly jubberly.

23. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The exact spec of the CTHD R3 DVD is on my website if anyones interested, not the cut down news on most sites who haven't got the disc.

Please note that Cantonese was NOT the primary language of the film, hence the Mandarin track in 5.1 is the correct version to watch for all you non-Mandarin, non-Cantonese speakers out there.

------------------
    Webmaster.

24. bradavon

bradavon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I saw this film last night.

What an amazing film, better than I excepted.

I will definatly be buying the R3 DVD soon.

25. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A quick check of the disc yesterday reveals a superb Anamorphic transfer, rich in colour (looks better than when I saw it at the Cinema) and high in detail. Some minor white flecks is all I could pick out on a cursory glance.

The proper Mandarin 5.1 track is crisp and clear although don't expect much split rear action. The rears are dominated by ambient noise and the score. The English Dub is actually quite reasonable and will please those who can't stand subtitles.

A full review should be ready tonight [​IMG]

Regards Neil.

------------------
    Webmaster.

26. tee

tee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +50
    Couldn't agree more mate, the picture is superb, the soundtrack is good and the film is excellent. I was worried that I wouldn't take to it as others have but it was well worth the gamble.

------------------
    Tee

http://www.electronicreality.co.uk

27. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +210
    Am I right in thinking that the R1 CTHD will be released by Columbia TriStar?

If so, won't the f00kers RCE the DVD?

If I were a punter I would go for the R3 which I assume is not RCE (considering most DVD players in HK are Region 0 or chipped!).