Crouching Tiger - C4 screw up again!!!

PoochJD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Morning,

Did anyone else catch "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" on Channel 4 last night?

And did anyone else notice, the miserable gits at said station, making a huge load of screw-ups?! Which include:-

- Crushing the credits to half of their vertical size, so that a lengthy 3-minutes plus advert for Film Four could be shown.
- During said advert, the end title music was blanked out, so it couldn't be heard at all! :mad: (This film won a freaking Oscar for it's score by Tan Dun!!!)
- the cutting of the credits, to reduce the transmission time in total, for more adverts
- the speeding-up of the end part of the film, so that when Li Mu Bai has his final swordfight with Jen, it looks all fake, rather than clever choreography and stuntwork
- censorship of Jen and her ex-boyfriend Dark Chaos (?) of the Hun clan's tussle in the cave, where their lengthy fight turns into a romantic grapple, and then he attempts to have sex with her. Channel 4 edited it, to make the film look like a lot had been cut, and thus making the scene appear to be more graphic than it actually was!
- Oh, and it was shown in a cropped 1.85:1 format to boot, removing loads of picture imagery!

Channel 4 - we salute you as being THE absolute worst TV station of 2004... and 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, etc, etc! :clap:

Do not ever, ever buy another film or imported show ever again, if you don't intend transmitting it properly! :mad:

Pooch

Although I do not watch Ch 4 much for the bad treatment of films and practically TV series and diabolical reality show plus un-called for on screen graphics and red dot. I must say there are very little 2.35:1 films shown across the networks shown in their proper ratio most edit them down to 1.85:1 at best.

Five showed The Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines in 4:3 which I though was a real candidate for proper ratio.:thumbsdow

Hi Garrett,

You said:
I must say there are very little 2.35:1 films shown across the networks shown in their proper ratio most edit them down to 1.85:1 at best.

I know what you say, and that is true. However, Channel 4 look like they took a 1.85:1 print, and zoomed into it, even further, to get a 1.77:1 widescreen (or 14:9 format) picture. That's what I meant to say. :blush:

Good film, but totally ruined by them!

Pooch

Hi Pooch

I thought there was a very little bit of black showing at the top and bottom of my screen last night. But as I have not seen it before will go off what you say.

How good is the film I ended up taping the most part of it because I had a binding headache and reading subtitle was the last thing I wanted at that time.

I have noticed some films start really strange, when they show the titles at the beginning they show them in anamorphic but the picture is in 14:9 and in cinemascope (if you get my drif), do you have any idea why they sometimes do this.

Where Eagles Dare on 4 was a similar story yesterday. During the titles there was huge black bars giving a very narrow ratio - as soon as the titles finished it appeared to fill the screen in 4:3 with no bars at all.

Originally posted by dfield2000
Where Eagles Dare on 4 was a similar story yesterday. During the titles there was huge black bars giving a very narrow ratio - as soon as the titles finished it appeared to fill the screen in 4:3 with no bars at all.
They have to do that sometimes on 4:3 picture to get all of the titles in i.e. names etc or they would be cut off on a full 4:3 set. What I’m on about is showing titles in 4:3 when later it opens out to fill a 16:9 screen.

Garrett, isn't that just another way of fitting the titles on the screen from a WS picture?

I have noticed that on some scope films they will either show the opening/end credits in the correct AR inc borders or squash it vertically to fit a 4:3 screen.

Why they can't just show the whole film from start to end in the correct AR (borders and all) is anyone's guess!

I think the moral of this thread is just stick to watching films on DVD!

If you think thats bad Mr Nice Guy, this Jackie Chan picture shown after CTHD looked terrible, everyone looked out of shape it was presented 1.78:1 on tv but it looked like someone at channel 4 or elsewhere had transferred it wrong and people just didnt look the right shape, a squeeze on the image or something but it just didnt look right at all and i gave up after 5 minutes.

Pooch
Should just buy the dvd - only £3.49 @ wow

Most of those changes are normal by most main channels to fit timings/squeeze in ads etc.

But did anyone find it odd that they showed CTHD on C4 to advertise film four, when film four was on a freeview weekend, showing movies in proper ratio, no ads? Why not just tell people to switch over? F4 wasn't even showing CTHD.

Very odd.

Figrin Dan and Richard Plumb,

Dan - I don't need to buy the DVD, as I already have it. Was only watching it on TV, as there wasn't much else I fancied doing at 9pm on a Sunday night! But thanks anyway for the info.

Richard - It did seem odd to advertise the CTHD film, as it were being shown simultaneously, when in fact it wasn't! C4 really are total idiots, aren't they?! :rotfl:

Pooch

Hi Pooch I got round to watching it last night an quite enjoyed it although someone went and give the end away before I got round to watching it. :mad:
The fight scenes were fantastic although in the realms of fantasy.

Pooch, if you have the DVD, couldn't you have popped it in at 9pm?

I know what you mean though - a movie is on the telly that you already have, and you just watch it - even though you know that the picture quality will be dodgy, probably cropped, no decent surround sound, and adverts all the way through.

all for the sake of a 30 second round trip to some shelves.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom