1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crouching Tiger - C4 screw up again!!!

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by PoochJD, Apr 5, 2004.

1. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Morning,

Did anyone else catch "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon" on Channel 4 last night?

And did anyone else notice, the miserable gits at said station, making a huge load of screw-ups?! Which include:-

- Crushing the credits to half of their vertical size, so that a lengthy 3-minutes plus advert for Film Four could be shown.
    - During said advert, the end title music was blanked out, so it couldn't be heard at all! :mad: (This film won a freaking Oscar for it's score by Tan Dun!!!)
    - the cutting of the credits, to reduce the transmission time in total, for more adverts
    - the speeding-up of the end part of the film, so that when Li Mu Bai has his final swordfight with Jen, it looks all fake, rather than clever choreography and stuntwork
    - censorship of Jen and her ex-boyfriend Dark Chaos (?) of the Hun clan's tussle in the cave, where their lengthy fight turns into a romantic grapple, and then he attempts to have sex with her. Channel 4 edited it, to make the film look like a lot had been cut, and thus making the scene appear to be more graphic than it actually was!
    - Oh, and it was shown in a cropped 1.85:1 format to boot, removing loads of picture imagery!

Channel 4 - we salute you as being THE absolute worst TV station of 2004... and 2003, 2002, 2001, 2000, etc, etc! :clap:

Do not ever, ever buy another film or imported show ever again, if you don't intend transmitting it properly! :mad:

Pooch

2. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Although I do not watch Ch 4 much for the bad treatment of films and practically TV series and diabolical reality show plus un-called for on screen graphics and red dot. I must say there are very little 2.35:1 films shown across the networks shown in their proper ratio most edit them down to 1.85:1 at best.

Five showed The Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines in 4:3 which I though was a real candidate for proper ratio.:thumbsdow

3. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Hi Garrett,

You said:
    I know what you say, and that is true. However, Channel 4 look like they took a 1.85:1 print, and zoomed into it, even further, to get a 1.77:1 widescreen (or 14:9 format) picture. That's what I meant to say. :blush:

Good film, but totally ruined by them!

Pooch

4. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Hi Pooch

I thought there was a very little bit of black showing at the top and bottom of my screen last night. But as I have not seen it before will go off what you say.

How good is the film I ended up taping the most part of it because I had a binding headache and reading subtitle was the last thing I wanted at that time.

I have noticed some films start really strange, when they show the titles at the beginning they show them in anamorphic but the picture is in 14:9 and in cinemascope (if you get my drif), do you have any idea why they sometimes do this.

5. dfield2000

dfield2000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    Where Eagles Dare on 4 was a similar story yesterday. During the titles there was huge black bars giving a very narrow ratio - as soon as the titles finished it appeared to fill the screen in 4:3 with no bars at all.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    They have to do that sometimes on 4:3 picture to get all of the titles in i.e. names etc or they would be cut off on a full 4:3 set. What I’m on about is showing titles in 4:3 when later it opens out to fill a 16:9 screen.

7. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +146
    Garrett, isn't that just another way of fitting the titles on the screen from a WS picture?

I have noticed that on some scope films they will either show the opening/end credits in the correct AR inc borders or squash it vertically to fit a 4:3 screen.

Why they can't just show the whole film from start to end in the correct AR (borders and all) is anyone's guess!

I think the moral of this thread is just stick to watching films on DVD!

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you think thats bad Mr Nice Guy, this Jackie Chan picture shown after CTHD looked terrible, everyone looked out of shape it was presented 1.78:1 on tv but it looked like someone at channel 4 or elsewhere had transferred it wrong and people just didnt look the right shape, a squeeze on the image or something but it just didnt look right at all and i gave up after 5 minutes.

9. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Pooch
    Should just buy the dvd - only £3.49 @ wow

10. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Most of those changes are normal by most main channels to fit timings/squeeze in ads etc.

But did anyone find it odd that they showed CTHD on C4 to advertise film four, when film four was on a freeview weekend, showing movies in proper ratio, no ads? Why not just tell people to switch over? F4 wasn't even showing CTHD.

Very odd.

11. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Figrin Dan and Richard Plumb,

Dan - I don't need to buy the DVD, as I already have it. Was only watching it on TV, as there wasn't much else I fancied doing at 9pm on a Sunday night! But thanks anyway for the info.

Richard - It did seem odd to advertise the CTHD film, as it were being shown simultaneously, when in fact it wasn't! C4 really are total idiots, aren't they?! :rotfl:

Pooch

12. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,470
    Hi Pooch I got round to watching it last night an quite enjoyed it although someone went and give the end away before I got round to watching it. :mad:
    The fight scenes were fantastic although in the realms of fantasy.

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,028
    Pooch, if you have the DVD, couldn't you have popped it in at 9pm?

I know what you mean though - a movie is on the telly that you already have, and you just watch it - even though you know that the picture quality will be dodgy, probably cropped, no decent surround sound, and adverts all the way through.

all for the sake of a 30 second round trip to some shelves.