• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Crossover settings for most oomph from the speakers

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
Just finalising my setup, and layout and wondering what the more experienced speaker guys would say is the best crossover setting for my speakers.

The centre is the q acoustics 2000c I believe is rated at 75hz
The rest is made up of q acoustics 2020's I believe are rated at 68hz

Now I want each speaker to have a bit of oomph as much as their size allows possible and not be a tinny little satellite.

I can set each speakers crossover separate on my avr.
So would I be better for example set the centre at 100hz the rest at 80hz even 60hz.

I had a little play putting them all at 60hz and 80hz but looking for best advise rather than me slowly fry my speakers.

Sub duties rely on an svs cylinder to back the low end up.

Equipment all listed in my signature

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
There is never any point in setting the crossover lower than 80Hz. The only question therefore is whether they need to be set higher, and how much. The "boundary" figures are generally quoted as -3dB (half) or even -6db (quarter), but what's important is where they start to decrease. Unfortunately, Q Acoustics don't publish these figures on their web site. I'd guess you want something like 100Hz (2020) / 120Hz (2000c).

You could always buy an SPL meter, download this test cd and set the crossover based on reliable measurements.

PSM1

Distinguished Member
You could start with 80Hz on all and then play from there (so try 100Hz etc). Then pick the combination that sounds best to you.

Daddy k

Distinguished Member
I'll give 100hz a play. Never went higher on this setup as was sticking to the general recommended 80hz and with them being deepish bookshelf speakers thought to try there until I saw the freq range

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom