Crossover question

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by juvfg, Aug 14, 2013.

1. juvfg

juvfg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a custom built LCR(I know no popular) that has 2 daytona RS100 and a Dayton Audio ND28F-6 1-1/8" Neodymium Dome Tweeter for each channel . Now here are the spec charts for both

Daytona RS100 PRODUCT
    SPECIFICATIONS Power Handling (RMS) 30 Watts Power Handling (max) 60 Watts Impedance 8 ohms Frequency Response 87 to 20,000 Hz Sensitivity 85.6 dB 1W/1m Voice Coil Diameter 1"

Daytona ND28F-6
    Specifications: • Power handling: 30 watts RMS/60 watts max • VCdia: 1" • Le: 0.08 mH • Impedance: 6 ohms • Re: 5.4 ohms • Frequency range: 2,200-20,000 Hz • Fs: 1,097 Hz • SPL: 88.4 db 1W/1m • Qms: 2.16 • Qes: 2.94 • Qts: 1.24 • Dimensions: Overall diameter: 2.56", Cutout diameter: 1.71", Depth: 0.77"

Here are my questions. What should i set my frequency response at, I was thinking 80hz.? should i send any base the the drivers in this case at all?

2. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,167
    Let the Auto Setup of your AV Receiver make the determination for you. It will probably set it a bit higher than the standard 80hz, based on the information you've given.

That particular Dayton driver sacrifices low end in favor of full range. If you were going to build a 2-way system, it might have been better to use a woofer rather than a full-range speaker.

Or, use the Full-Range as the midrange/tweeter and add a single low-bass driver to the mix.

But is seems a done deal now. It should sound very good, but the crossover will just be a bit high.

Do you have two RS100-4 (4 ohm) in series, or do you have two RS100-8 (8 ohm) in parallel, or do you even know?

I'm guessing the AV Receiver is going to set the crossover in the 90hz to 100hz range.

You really don't need a whole lot of bass in the Center speaker, so I expect it will sound very good.

If your AV Receiver lets you set the crossover on the speakesr individually, depending on what front speakers you have, you could set the front to the standard 80hz, and still set the Center in the 90hz to 100hz range.

Just one man's opinion.

Steve/bluewizard