Crossover or Straight CAT5E?

Wuptdo

Do i need Crossover or Straight cable for connecting a router to a switch please?

All help appreicated :thumbsup:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member
Straight, switches/routers are wired to use these to a PC.
Crossover cables are only used for direct connections from PC to PC.

Wuptdo

Thanks alot for the swift reply! :thumbsup:

Wuptdo

Anyone else answer my second query please :)?

Here is the setup;
.................................................................Gigabit switch--->(gigabit ethernet)-->Ps3
100mb/s Router -(gigabit ethernet)-->Uplink--> Gigabit switch--->(gigabit ethernet)-->Nas
.................................................................Gigabit switch--->(gigabit ethernet)-->PC

Will the 100mb/s connectivity in the router affect the speed of a gigabit switch to the ps3, nas and PC. Because i was wondering if the information looped back to the router, where it would get slowed down, like if you were using a pc usb hub.

So in short would i get gigabit connectivity between the ps3, nas and pc?

Thanks again

Wuptdo

Last edited:

ntm1275

Anyone else answer my second query please :)?

Here is the setup;
.................................................................Gigabit switch--->(gigabit ethernet)-->Ps3
100mb/s Router -(gigabit ethernet)-->Uplink--> Gigabit switch--->(gigabit ethernet)-->Nas
.................................................................Gigabit switch--->(gigabit ethernet)-->PC

Will the 100mb/s connectivity in the router affect the speed of a gigabit switch to the ps3, nas and PC. Because i was wondering if the information looped back to the router, where it would get slowed down, like if you were using a pc usb hub.

So in short would i get gigabit connectivity between the ps3, nas and pc?

Thanks again

Wuptdo

If the PS3, NAS and PC are plugged directly in to the Gigabit Switch, then YES you will get Gigabit connection to all three

It would only drop to 100mb if one of the three was plugged in to the router

Wuptdo

Okay thanks alot ! :)

Wuptdo

One last question....promise :D.

If i am to run cabling from my router, then into my attic, and back down into another room, what cable should i use FTP or UTP?

Thanks again
Wuptdo

Pengbo

Unless you live in an area where there is an awful lot of interference then unshielded (UTP) will be good enough, the twist on the pairs should be more than enough for router to switch communication with out going down the shielded route.. Shielded is much harder to work with anyway.

Also assuming the distance you describe is less than 150M, it will be unless you are describing a mansion I expect :)

Wuptdo

Thanks alot Pengbo, i doubt i'd be laying this myself if i lived in a mansion :).

fishmonger

Standard Member
One last question....promise :D.

If i am to run cabling from my router, then into my attic, and back down into another room, what cable should i use FTP or UTP?

Thanks again
Wuptdo

I agree with the UTP call. If you're drilling through walls and going outside the house, might be worth pulling two cables, cat5 is cheap and it's little extra effort pulling two now vs deciding you want two later. Or finding that you put a nail through the cable half way round!

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom