Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Crossover / normal LAN cable question...

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by NinjaMonkeyUK, Aug 19, 2005.

1. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Hi everyone.

I am considering wiring a cable from my dining room downstairs where my PC is to my bedroom upstairs where my XBox is for XBox Live.

The only problem is, right now I will have to use a crossover cable plugged directly into the back of my PC as I don't have enough money for a router.

Eventually, I want to get a router to support ICS for my other PC and my mother's laptop.

Does this mean I will have to replace the crossover cable with a normal LAN cable or would it be possible to recrimp one end the other way round to effectively change it into a normal cable?

I don't really want to have to redo the wiring when I get a router, as the wire will have to go under floorboards, outside the house, up the wall to the loft and back down from the loft to my bedroom.

Would it be better to just put 2 wires in place - a crossover and a normal one?

What do you more knowledgable people suggest?

2. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    You could re-crimp it but you could also leave it as a crossover.
    Most routers recognise a crossover cable now and adjust as necessary.
    I used a crossover cable for over a year with my Netgear after moving on from ICS and it worked with no problems at all.

3. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    If its a problem just get a crossover adapter from Maplins. They cost a couple of quid and convert straight to crossover and vice versa.

Job solved :)

No modern router should have an issue anyway.

4. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Thanks people!

-Spike-, I have been looking at a Netgear DG834 DSL modem / router / firewall / 4 port switch all-in-one, and would like to know what router you're using.

What are your thoughts on your product? How has it performed for you? I gather Netgear products work fine with an XBox?

5. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    I'm using a DG834GT but the one you have chosen is also an excellent choice.
    Many on here use the 834G without any problems, just make sure you upgrade the firmware to the latest version and you'll be good to go.

6. NinjaMonkeyUK

NinjaMonkeyUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +186
    Yeah, I looked at the GT version and the only difference I can see is that it transfers 108Mbps wirelessly instead of 54Mbps.

This doesn't really bother me as the wireless connection will only be used for my mother's laptop and she does nothing but surf the Internet with it.

I will be wiring my XBox up to the router through one of the RJ-45 ports as I don't want any unneccessary lag while I'm playing games online.

I also went for this router as it is a bargain on Amazon - if you buy the router they give you a free USB wirelss adapter (going to use this for the above mentioned laptop) that is worth £30!

Technically, the offer expired on the 31st July, but I just ordered mine today and it seems to have gone through ok with no questions asked. I guess I will find out on Monday when the order should be despatched... :)