Question Crossover Hz

tim1982

Established Member
Reaction score
Evening all, I've been having a tinker tonight with my 5.1.2 set up and have found that in certain "bassy" moments in movies my height speakers are giving off to much bass and are shaking the wall. If I was to change the Hz crossover so the sub took the strain off the speakers would I need to lower of higher the Hz crossover on my receiver?

At present my set up is as follows:
Fronts: 90hz
Centre: 90hz
Height:120hz
Surround:120hz
Sub: 120hz

The recommended range for the heights is between 120hz-22,000hz so I'm assuming if I go down to 100hz it could damage the speakers??

Fairly new to this stuff so please be kind!

You need to make the crossover number bigger for the speakers where you want to remove some bass.

Your height speakers that currently have a crossover of 120hz, means that anything below that frequency goes to the sub, anything above is played by the speaker. Note, it is a slope rather than a dead end, so it tails off rather than stops dead.

Try raising it to 150hz, that way more bass to the sub, and less to the speaker.

You need to make the crossover number bigger for the speakers where you want to remove some bass.

Your height speakers that currently have a crossover of 120hz, means that anything below that frequency goes to the sub, anything above is played by the speaker. Note, it is a slope rather than a dead end, so it tails off rather than stops dead.

Try raising it to 150hz, that way more bass to the sub, and less to the speaker.
Great thank you! Will give it a try

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom