Crossover Hz

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by pupsta8910, Feb 12, 2014.

1. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Question :

I have the Sony 1040 AV & Q Acoustics 7000i speakers 5.1

Ran the auto calibration and originally it put my speakers to "Large" with a Crossover of 120hz to each speaker.

Subwoofer was around -6.0 db

Reading up it would appear i should set the speakers to small which i have now done. (presume this is correct).

Am i right in thinking i should set the hz of all my speakers to 80/85 hz rather than the detected 120hz?

On the subwoofer itself should i turn this all the way up till it reaches the "AV" (max) to allow the AV to control or manually put this to 120hz on the turn knob on the sub?

Sounds good as it is but wanted to check as would have presumed the new Auto calibration would fine tune already as i am a complete newbie.

2. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Speakers range from 95hz-20hz
    sub - 35-200hz

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    Since your speakers only go down to 95hz then you should not set to 80Hz since the speakers can not go that low.
    If the speakers were set to large then there would be no crossover setting since a full range signal would go to all speakers. If the fronts were set to large but the rest small then the crossover would only be active on the speakers set to small.
    Setting all speakers to small is the right thing to do. 120Hz does not sound too far wrong for the crossover setting either. You could try 100 or 110Hz but if sounds OK as it is and you can not locate the sub then I would leave it as it is. As for the sub crossover leave this set to the max or AV setting.

4. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Ok great thanks for advice, will run auto setup again and just leave it to the 120hz it detected but change the speakers to "Small".

What do you mean when "you can not locate the sub" ? .... When i run the auto tune i put the sub level to just before midway point and the Crossover on Sub to "AV".

Is it a bad thing my speakers dont go that low? These are the latest Q Acoustics speakers, so hope they are good, they sound good so i guess thats the main thing :)

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    When I say about locating the sub what I mean is can you actually hear where the sub is? The reason for the usual advice of 80Hz for the crossover is that below this frequency the sound is non directional (or unidirectional). This means when you listen to the sound it does not appear to come from the sub itself but blends in with the other speakers so that the sound appears to be coming from the speakers themselves and not the sub. The more you go above 80Hz the more you may be able to hear the sound coming from the sub itself which is not a good thing. 120Hz should not be a major issue for this and if you do not 'hear' the sub as a speaker in itself then you are fine. Satellite speakers are fine for movies but may be limited when it comes to music. Also you do tend to get better performance from a similar priced conventional speaker system compared to a sub/satellite system. As long as they sound good to you then that is all that matters really.

6. pupsta8910

pupsta8910

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Understood, great thank you will give the settings a try tonight when home. I read that having subwoofer closer to the 0db is better, default chucks it at -6/7db. It sits next to the front speaker on floor (Speakers on tv unit at fronts). I have cranked it to -2.5 .

7. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,440
    There is no benefit having the sub set to 0 in the amp. Your setting of -6 seems fine to me. I would leave it at the setting given by the auto setup unless it is too quiet for your tastes.

8. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,026
    These auto EQ/set up routines aren't infallible and even looking at the figures for whatever speakers the user has is no guarantee that the best crossover will be chosen for the speakers/sub/room combination. The reason for this is that they don't send a test tone to the speakers and subwoofer together, so they can't take into account the effect of certain crossover frequencies being produced by the speakers and the subwoofer (since the crossover isn't a 'brick wall' filter).

Although it's harder to tell without measurement equipment, the bottom line is your ears, so it's always well worth trying different (usually higher) crossover settings than the amp sets, especially if your front speakers and sub are nearby since being able to 'locate' the sub is less likely to be an issue if it's next to the speakers anyway.

I've been learning how to use REW recently and I measured what my amp set up response was like (it chose 70Hz for my MK MP150 speakers which are designed to be a satellite speaker albeit a fairly large and powerful one). The Audyssey/AVR setting left a very poor response using this 70Hz setting (Green trace on the attached graph), so I tried higher ones measuring each time, eventually settling on 100Hz as shown in the attached graph.

I've ended up going a more manual route now since I just can't get on with using Audyssey with music on my set up (it's fine for films though), so I've taken more care in setting up my sub, crossovers and even a slight adjustment to the subwoofer distance setting...Auto set up is all very well, but IMHO there is still room for improvement. I wouldn't be surprised if a newer version actually measures with a speaker and sub outputting together to further fine tune this region in future AVRs.

PS.I later solved that dip just over 100Hz by moving my now disconnected BK Monolith sub as it was too close to the right speaker and I don't need it now I have my DIY subs.

Attached Files: