Question Crossover help needed

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by tim1982, Aug 5, 2018.

1. tim1982

tim1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Hi all

First off sorry if this is the wrong thread to ask in and sorry if it's been asked a billion times before!

I have recently bought an onkyo tx- nr676 av and some speakers for my first ever 5.1.2 set up, I've never owned an av or speaker package before so please treat me as a total newbie!

On running the initial set up I seem to keep getting a crossover of 40hz on the front 3 speakers and 150hz for rears and 180hz for front heights. My left, cantre and right are all matching and on the spec sheet say they run between 64hz and 22khz so I'm assuming they are set to low for there range? The rears and height are pretty much dead on as they can only run between 150hz and 20khz.

Should I self adjust the front 3 crossovers to a higher setting or leave it?

Also I noticed the heights are slightly drowned out by the fronts so again should I up the db?

Thanks for any advice

2. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    Change your speakers to small and start with a crossover for the fronts around 100 but definitely no lower than 80.

Listen to how it sounds and adjust to your taste.

3. tim1982

tim1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Thanks have moved them up to 80, just my untrained brain but why never below 80?

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    You ideally set the crossovers about 1/2 an octave higher than the lowest frequency the loudspeaker can effectively reproduce. For example, if your main speakers are rated flat down to 60Hz, then you'd set the crossover to 80-90Hz for those channels.

You should basically try to set crossovers at least 10Hz higher than the speakers lowest rated frequency handling ability.

You can set them below 80Hz, but this isn't making the most effective use of the receiver's bass management or utilising your active sub to its fullest. What you should try not to do is set the crossovers below the roll off point measured by a receiver during calibration.

80Hz is often suggested for use as a crossover because this is the point that has been determined as where humans start to localise frequencies. In most cases, you will not be able to detect where frequencies at and below 80Hz are eminating from, but the higher you go up from this then the more localised the frequencies can become. This is why you can redirect lower frequencies to the sub without you actually localising the sound to that sub. Most people have difficulty localising frequencies below 250Hz.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,853
    As @dante01 said.

Your subwoofers are better suited to handle and frequency below 80hz, regardless of the quality of the speaker or how low they can go, the majority of people will always let their subs handle the low frequencies.

The higher you set the crossover, the more chance you have of localising where the sub is positioned, at 80 or 90 you shouldn’t really be able to.

6. tim1982

tim1982

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Ok I think I understand now, so my rears should go up? They are set to 150hz and can handle lowest of 150hz, next step available is 180hz

7. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    I'd maybe leave them set to 150Hz. There shouldn't be an issue leaving them set at this frequency given the fact that the receiver measured their roll off to be 150Hz.

8. nemcha83

nemcha83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi! I am new here but i think no need to start new topic when i have problem with crossover, or at least i think i have:). Thing is, i got Magnat Art 144408b speakers and Yamaha rx v465 receiver. When i turn it on, i hear that tweeters dont work. After some research i have found out that it could be dead tweeters or something wrong with crossover. With battery test, tweeters do make noise so i think there is problem with crossover. On the board it looks like resistor on which it says 3,3ohm 5watt, has some burning on it. Should i change it and do you think that it could be the problem with that. Thanks and sorry for my english:)

9. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,225
    If the tweeters are not working then it is a fault with the speakers and nothing to do with bass management configurations onboard the AV receiver. The crossovers within the speakers are not adjustable or controlled by the AV receiver and are independant of the AVR.

Maybe post within the speaker forum or have someone who is experienced with speaker repairs take a look at your speakers?

10. nemcha83

nemcha83
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok thanks