Crossover for Rear Height Speakers?

BlackSpider777

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I have just converted my traditional 7.1 setup to 5.1.2, i now have Rear Height Speakers all the way on top of the ceiling & facing the listening area, all the surround speakers are bookshelves & can go low to 80hz, when using traditional 7.1 layout i always had all my surrounds to 100hz in the avr crossover management, Now should i make the rear height crossover to 150hz? as then it will not be easily localised? what crossover should i put the heights to? the speakers are Jamo S602 bookshelves connected to onkyo 656, Inputs would be great,

Thanks.

I thought a higher crossover like 120-150hz would make them blend better? guess i was wrong.

You'd have to try it and see what you think as a higher crossover may well sound better in your particular system. In mine, I found I lost out on bass punch from the height channels if the crossover was set that high and they sounded a bit disjointed. It gives a better blend with the crossover set at 80hz (the same as all my other speakers).

You'd have to try it and see what you think as a higher crossover may well sound better in your particular system. In mine, I found I lost out on bass punch from the height channels if the crossover was set that high and they sounded a bit disjointed. It gives a better blend with the crossover set at 80hz (the same as all my other speakers).
i got the same bookshelves as surrounds & i set them to 100hz, i think i read somewhere where they recommend higher crossover for the heights for better blending, i guess i'll leave them to 100hz & give a try, what gets me abit paranoid is that the bookshelves are attached to the wall by a screw, as they have a hole for screw installation, wonder if that will be enough to secure them incase they move cause of the bass vibrations? what you think?
attached the user guide pic-
Thanks.

S606HC
fQ8W6a

Last edited:
i got the same bookshelves as surrounds & i set them to 100hz, i think i read somewhere where they recommend higher crossover for the heights for better blending, i guess i'll leave them to 100hz & give a try, what gets me abit paranoid is that the bookshelves are attached to the wall by a screw, as they have a hole for screw installation, wonder if that will be enough to secure them incase they move cause of the bass vibrations? what you think?
attached the user guide pic-
Thanks.

S606HC
fQ8W6a

As long as the screw is firmly attached into the wall properly it will be fine. You'd probably need to listen at ridiculous levels before any issues arose.

Try out the various crossover settings to see which you prefer. :)

The Jamo S602 are -3db down at 80hz anyway, so I would set all my crossovers at 80Hz.

I would use Blu Tack on the rear of the speakers in addition to the screw and this should reduce any vibrations.

Guys,
I m getting an error on my onkyo 656 avr, it turns off at times & then goes to diagnosis mode where it says to "check speaker wire", i m getting this issue after making my surround backs speakers into rear heights. I have wall mounted the rear height speakers with a single screw as posted int eh instructions i posted pic above, so i guess the speaker cable is getting pressed between the wall & the rear of the speaker? dunno what to do..

Thanks.

Check for any stray wires that might be touching the casing or any other area. If need be you could wrap the cables in insulation tape to stop that happening if that's the cause.

Check for any stray wires that might be touching the casing or any other area. If need be you could wrap the cables in insulation tape to stop that happening if that's the cause.
you mean speaker casing?

you mean speaker casing?

Depends if bare wires are touching it at all. If the AVR is saying 'Check Speaker Wire' that's usually down to bare wire touching something it shouldn't and shorting out, which causes the AVR to shut down. Check both ends of the cable, even at the AVR speaker terminals to make sure they're also ok.

Depends if bare wires are touching it at all. If the AVR is saying 'Check Speaker Wire' that's usually down to bare wire touching something it shouldn't and shorting out, which causes the AVR to shut down. Check both ends of the cable, even at the AVR speaker terminals to make sure they're also ok.
ok so toke a pic from my cellphone behind my avr as its a pain to move the unit all the time & check the backside, found one suspect so toke a pic & want to show you guys, you think this could be the culprit?

Thanks.
Screen Shot 2017 08 28 at 3 02 31 PM

upload

ok so toke a pic from my cellphone behind my avr as its a pain to move the unit all the time & check the backside, found one suspect so toke a pic & want to show you guys, you think this could be the culprit?

Thanks.
Screen Shot 2017 08 28 at 3 02 31 PM

upload

Possibly, although it seems ok unless there's a stray bit underneath. The only real way is to take it out and re-connect it.

Chasing a shorting cable can be a bit of a chore unfortunately.

Possibly, although it seems ok unless there's a stray bit underneath. The only real way is to take it out and re-connect it.

Chasing a shorting cable can be a bit of a chore unfortunately.
ok re-connected all the wire behing the onkyo avr, hope this solved my issue, the thing is my speaker wires are 9 years old, dunno if that could be an issue? do wires degrade as time goes by?

Thanks.

ok re-connected all the wire behing the onkyo avr, hope this solved my issue, the thing is my speaker wires are 9 years old, dunno if that could be an issue? do wires degrade as time goes by?

Thanks.

I've not found that an issue personally and my cables are around 11 years old so unless they get physically damaged somehow they should last a long time. Bare ends that are exposed might need a trim back if they oxidise but using Banana plugs would stop or reduce that happening.

Hi,
The issue has happened again today, i have rechecked the wires of the surrounds speakers, as before it switched off the avr & went to diag mode again, i was getting a distorting type of sound from the Surround left speaker, so re trimmed the wire for that speaker & tried it again & still the avr went to protection mode after few minutes though the distortion sound this appear this time, i have almost given up now & think it could be the onkyo 656 that has the issue, i read on the official onkyo forums that best thing to do is remove the speaker wires from the avr & play an input source on hight vol to see if the avr goes to diag mode then, also one think, my speakers are jamo s606 speaker package & are almost 10 years old, so could be my left or roght surround speaker is bad & causing this issue?

Cheers.

I would unplug the Left Surround from the back of the Onkyo then run it as normal and see if it shuts down. If it doesn't then it would indicate a problem either with that speaker, that amp channel or the speaker cable itself.

If it still shuts down then I'd re-connect the Left Surround and unplug the Right Surround and see what happens. If that's also fine then it's a case of going through the rest of the speakers one by one and seeing if any trigger the amp to shut down.

Alternatively, you could unplug the lot and connect them back up one at a time, testing as you go to see which one causes the issue. It's a bit time consuming but hopefully it will find the culprit.

I would unplug the Left Surround from the back of the Onkyo then run it as normal and see if it shuts down. If it doesn't then it would indicate a problem either with that speaker, that amp channel or the speaker cable itself.

If it still shuts down then I'd re-connect the Left Surround and unplug the Right Surround and see what happens. If that's also fine then it's a case of going through the rest of the speakers one by one and seeing if any trigger the amp to shut down.

Alternatively, you could unplug the lot and connect them back up one at a time, testing as you go to see which one causes the issue. It's a bit time consuming but hopefully it will find the culprit.
well for now i m going to check if its the receiver, going to disconnect all the speaker wires from the onkyo avr, then going to try an input source mostly a movie with atmos & turn to volume to almost full then will see if the avr shuts off. If it doesn't then according to onkyo support its the speakers or the wires & not the avr, got a feeling its the avr so thought i would try this.

update-

UPDATE-
Removed the speaker cables from the onkyo avr 656, played an entire movie BD movie, i put the avr on max volume & it didn't switch off nor gave any error, so accordign to onkyo its my speakers or wires that are giving the issue, i got 10 year old speakers & even the wires are that old, now i m lost & wondering how to diagnose them, also can speakers give up after 10 years of usage? i mean should i just upgrade my speakers & wires altogether now?

Thanks.

I'd connect them up one at a time and see which one causes the AVR to shut down as that's the only way you'll know what is causing the problem. The issue with testing the AVR on it's own is that there's no load being put on it so it could still be a duff amp channel that shuts down when driving a speaker.

I'd connect them up one at a time and see which one causes the AVR to shut down as that's the only way you'll know what is causing the problem. The issue with testing the AVR on it's own is that there's no load being put on it so it could still be a duff amp channel that shuts down when driving a speaker.
I thought the same but won't leaving it on & having an input source like a BD movies playing on max volume activate the inside amp channels? i tried this witht he batman vs superman BD mvoie & after the movie in max volume the avr did get hot so i guess it was still powering the internal amps.
Will try adding one speaker at a time & see.

Cheers.

I thought the same but won't leaving it on & having an input source like a BD movies playing on max volume activate the inside amp channels? i tried this witht he batman vs superman BD mvoie & after the movie in max volume the avr did get hot so i guess it was still powering the internal amps.
Will try adding one speaker at a time & see.

Cheers.

They would get warm just from being switched on but until you actually put a load on them they're not really doing a lot. A bit like a car with it's engine on tickover when stationary versus actually driving it.

They would get warm just from being switched on but until you actually put a load on them they're not really doing a lot. A bit like a car with it's engine on tickover when stationary versus actually driving it.
i agree with you but last night the avr went into protection mode when none of the channels were driven too, i was playing with the setup options in the avr, was trying to enable hdmi cec & it was just turning off into protection mode, with no volume playing & none of the speaker were being driven, so got a feeling its not the avr now.

Thanks.

i agree with you but last night the avr went into protection mode when none of the channels were driven too, i was playing with the setup options in the avr, was trying to enable hdmi cec & it was just turning off into protection mode, with no volume playing & none of the speaker were being driven, so got a feeling its not the avr now.

Thanks.

It does appear to be one of the speakers and/or it's wiring in that case. Going by the noise you heard from the Left Surround I'd suspect that as the one causing the problem. Hopefully you'll get it sorted without having to go around in circles too much.

It does appear to be one of the speakers and/or it's wiring in that case. Going by the noise you heard from the Left Surround I'd suspect that as the one causing the problem. Hopefully you'll get it sorted without having to go around in circles too much.
Update-
Been running the onkyo avr with no speaker wires connected since couple of days & today played the xbox one s Dolby Atmos app that has the Atmos demo & the avr switched off & went to Diagnose mode & said check speaker wire :( So its not the speaker wire nor the speakers that is the issue but the avr itself. Almost bought new speakers yesterday in impulse pheew.

Thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom