1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossover deactivation

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by glenlyon8266, Aug 24, 2002.

1. glenlyon8266

glenlyon8266

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have pair of B&W CDM 9NT's and would like to biamp them. From all the info I've seen, the consensus seems to be that passive biamping is a waste of money. Active (which involves elimination of any crossover network in the speaker and the addition of an active crossover) is the way to go. I would like to be able to do this with the ability to put the crossover back in place when I upgrade to the 802's. Can anyone please tell me how easy it is to do this? I've never had a speaker open so I don't know what I'm even looking for. Is it just a matter of disconnecting a few wires then hooking them back later? Your help is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. rob_w

rob_w

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The best way to do this and leave it all replacable is to disconnect the wires at each driver, and at each binding post and replace with new cable. Then you just do the reverse when you want to sell. If youre lucky theyll be on spade connectors which would make it really easy.

why dont you try passive bi-amping first, before you spend out on an active filter - remember that the active filter will need to match the drivers well.

Also some carbon fibre drivers are prone to break up and need notch filters to eliminate. These would also have to be done in the active stage.

Personally I would'nt take a speaker apart that I intend to sell on - I'd probably damage it too much in the process:blush:

hth

Rob

3. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Your best bet is to contact B&W to see if anyone has made active crossovers for the 9NT. The speaker wasn't made with active crossovers in mind, and it may well be more hassle than it's worth. Passive bi-amping is definately worth it.

Where are you looking at getting your 802's from?

4. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Glen, is it possible that you confuse bi-wiring with bi-amping?

If the speaker is designed for that purpose (i.e. has two sets of terminals) then you can easily bi-amp though still using the internal crossover (passive bi-amping as you call it).
    Like Retro say active bi-amping is a lot of hassle and may in return produce other problems if the speaker isn't designed for that purpose.

5. glenlyon8266

glenlyon8266

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No. I'm not confusing the 2 terms. I currently biwire now. The objective is to have great 2 channel sound within my HT setup. I want to use audiophile quality balanced input amps up front for right and left channels. In order to have a fluid and seamless side-to-side pan for HT, you need to use the same amps across the front. Let's face it, there's very few 3-channel amps out there (most of which aren’t built for critical listening) which means you would need to run 1.5 stereo amp channels. Instead of buying 2 powerhouse stereo amps and leaving 1 channel open, I decided to go with 3 lesser powered stereo amps with balanced inputs (1 amp per speaker) and biamp vertically. As far as why I feel the way I do regarding passive vs. active biamping, please refer to the following link:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm#basics

This is only 1 of many sources that agree active is the way to go.

6. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I agree that active bi-amping is the best way to go. But you are left with the problem of obtaining or making the active cards. The CDM NT9 is also a 3 way design, which will give you a few more problems as you will still require some fore of filtering to split the signals for the two drive units that use the same rear terminals.

Your best bet is to speak to someone in the tech/design department of B&W and see if they have any suggestions.

Which speaker are you using for your centre channel and surrounds. Ideally it sounds like you need 3/5 more 9NT's. (Not very practical really)

7. glenlyon8266

glenlyon8266

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Seven equal speakers if of course the optimal solution (the Skywalker Ranch studio uses 5 Nautilus 802's) but unfortunately as you pointed out, it's impractical and cost prohibitive. I currently run 5.1 with the cdm center and cdm 1nt's for surrounds. Right now I'm running an Anthem MCA50 (225x5, balanced) but would like drop that to just surrounds when I go 7.1 then move in something more upscale in front. I'll consult B&W and get their input. Thanks for everyone's replies!

Paul