Crossover confusion on Lexicon...

Pezza

I'm taking delivery of my Gallo Ref 3's this weekend, replacing the temporary-substitute cheapo B&W standmounters I've had for the past 3 months or so. Right now I've got the speaker crossovers on my Lexicon RV8 all set to 80Hz, and the sub crossover also at 80Hz, which is fine given the frequency capabilities of the speakers. Now, given that my Ref 3's are supposedly good down to 34Hz, I'll probably set the crossover on those to 40Hz to begin with, leaving the rear crossovers at 80Hz as before and also put my sub crossover to 40Hz as the manual says.

Now, does this mean that if a 60Hz signal is sent to the rear speakers, it'll get diverted to my fronts?

And how about the .1 channel - what if a 60Hz signal is sent to that? Does that also get diverted to the fronts?

CYRUStheVIRUS

I would just set the x over to 80hz on all your speakers regardless to how low they go.
The Revel is a quality sub and will do the low bit better especially for H.Cinema than the Gallo's.

You could alway's change the settings for music and try without sub.

Sniper

Novice Member
Pezza said:
And how about the .1 channel - what if a 60Hz signal is sent to that? Does that also get diverted to the fronts?

I've never used a Lexicon (but would like to!), but generally bass managment will send the LFE always to the sub! And, if a 60hz signal is sent to the rears (which are set to 80hz) then it will redirect it to the sub too, not to the fronts!

Pezza

Sniper said:
I've never used a Lexicon (but would like to!), but generally bass managment will send the LFE always to the sub! And, if a 60hz signal is sent to the rears (which are set to 80hz) then it will redirect it to the sub too, not to the fronts!

But the manual says to set the sub crossover at the lowest crossover frequency of all the other speakers... doesn't that suggest it would pipe a 60Hz rear signal to the fronts, if my sub crossover is at 40hz?

Nic Rhodes

No use the sub. The speakers will NOT be capable of 34Hz at full volume and even close to that freq the distortion is much higher than your sub. I would cross at 80Hz. Good speakers, just use them to the strengths and let the sub take the strain.

chrisgeary

I concur wholeheartedly with Nic.

Pezza

Many thanks for the advice guys!

Another benefit of setting it at 80Hz is that's what the Revel's low-frequency-optimisation software expects when doing its room analysis. And in fact should mean I won't have to tweak the 3 on-board filters too much.

Can't wait till tomorrow! :D

Pezza

Agreed, there's definitely an SVS / Velodyne slant on these forums, I guess because the Revel is so pricey when new!

Still, if you get it second-hand like me then someone else eats a nice big chunk of depreciation and it starts to look more reasonable :smashin:

Really can't fault it tho', it's a fantastic unit.

Nic Rhodes

Before Velodyne and SVS we were accused of a Paradigm slant, before that REL.... all down to when you read the forums. There is a growing BK clan coming from behind but making good running....and the M and K outsider :)

Nic Rhodes

I humbly apologies for telling you about a bargain, forgive me :D It won't happen again. ;)

R

recruit

Still never managed to have the pleasure to listen to a Servo 15 :(

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom