1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Crossover?...Cables?...i am at a loss here

Discussion in 'Cables & Switches' started by radicalrad, Apr 11, 2005.

1. radicalrad

radicalrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi can someone give me a little nudge in the right direction please i have bought a pair of B&W P4 speakers and a B&W cwc centre speaker to couple up to my DENON AVR-1802 5.1 A/V RECEIVER....here's the problem i am a complete novice at this and dont want to spend a lot of money on this (out of work ill-health blah.blah)but i now need speaker cables as these speakers are i assume biwired (they have double connectors on the back)i need 3 sets at 10mtrs each (left/right/centre) now having read a lot of stuff on here a lot of it going over my head (sorry not to bright in these matters)i still dont have a clue what to buy or how to fit for the best results can someone who knows what they are talking about help me out here please.iwould prefer to buy them ready made i suppose as if you read some posts in here you need to solder them correctly i have even read somewhere were you have to solder at the right temp.it apears a little daunting to me..so you can see why i am a little concerned about what to buy so i would be gratefull for any help and assistance.i am in the uk so it needs to be something i can get easilly here..thanks guys i am counting on you..

2. deanym

deanym

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141
    Its easy to do your own.

Firstly, buy some cheapish cable from Richer sounds (gale, qed etc), don't pay any more than £1/m as your system doesn't warrant it (not criticizing what you have - you just don't need over-the-top cables).

If you're wanting 3x10m you'll need 60m at least to bi-wire.

take a pair of cables - so you should have four ends each end. at on end of these, twist together the two positives and the two negatives. Lightly solder these to keep them fixed.

The 4-end goes to the speakers, one each to High+, Low+, High-, Low-.

The end you prepared with solder, goes to the amp, positive to positve and negative to negative.

Repeat the above for the other sets.

Alternatively, go to a dealer and explain what you want - 2 end to four end bi-wire speaker cable at 10m (3 off).

3. radicalrad

radicalrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent thanks for that i was thinking od buying some qed original cable so that sounds like it will be fine....thanks again
    its only a home cinema set up i am doing

4. gerbilly

gerbilly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    You dont have to solder just get some Van Damme Speaker cable from Maplins (there are various sizes) and buy some banana plugs and fit them on to the cable.

5. radicalrad

radicalrad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    is the QED cable any good?