Question Crossover at 120 or 150

R1Stan

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I have a Marantz SR7011, Monitor Audio Silver RX6, RX Centre, RX2 for surrounds and C265IDC for atmos although the amp sees the c265idc,s as mid heights.

I was advised that setting the crossovers to 150 or at most 120 as it would provide a better sound overall as it increases the headroom for the speakers and amp to operate better and I would get slightly better performance at the higher levels when listening to movies.

However I read that most people set the crossover to 80, so I am not sure what the best approach would be.

I plan on testing this out over the weekend but wanted to know if there are any benefits when setting the crossover so high.

Hello. It certainly would increase the headroom, as the amp in the subwoofer would be doing all the hard work in powering those lower bass frequencies, and that takes up a lot of power.

The downside is, that many people can localise sound that falls above approx 80hz. So if you set the crossover too high you might knock the surround sound off balance, as you could hear audio emanating from where your subwoofer is placed in the room, rather than from the speaker it was intended to be coming from.

80Hz is the optimal crossover frequency if all components are capable, so the question is whether there's an issue with the MA speakers. The RX Centre ought to be happy with 100Hz, and may well manage 80Hz, but the simplest thing to do is experiment.

I don't buy the headroom argument with an 80Hz crossover driven by a Marantz SR7011 at safe listening levels, but again, you have the kit so you can experiment until you obtain what sounds best to you.

Thanks folks, I will experiment and see if I notice a difference.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom