Crossover advice

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scrapbook, May 22, 2004.

1. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    My AV Amp has cross over levels of 100 / 150 / 200

My speakers go down to 60hz and i was under the impression that ideally the sub cross over should be circa 80hz.

If the sub has separate cross over levels does this over rule the amp settings?

or

if the amp was set at 100hz and the sub at 80hz would i loose the range between 80hz and 100hz?

2. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Whilst the amp would filter everything under 100Hz to the sub, the sub's crossover would only "accept" anything under 80Hz so the 80Hz to 100Hz frequencies would just disappear.

I doubt whether either filter is a brick wall so it wouldn't be as extreme as that but it would probably still be better for you to have the amp's crossover set to 100Hz and the sub's either switched to the maximum or off (depending on the controls).

3. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    So what in real terms is the reason for having crossover levels on subs?

I haven't looked into subs before and despite upgrading all of the other speakers I have maintained the basic sub i first brought in a sony package set. I noticed on many I have now researched that they have posts for front speakers...why would you connect your fronts directly to the sub.....to control the crossovers perhaps?

4. jrpavel

jrpavel
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It concentrates the sub's energy to the lower frequencies and so you should get more lower bass by restricting the higher frequency output?

5. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    In many cases it isn't necessary at all but subs aern't just for AV but also for stereo use where they tend to be fed a full range signal from a high level connection from the amp and utililize a much lower crossover than would be the case if using satellite speakers in an AV setup.