CrossFit

Wednesday

Conditioning
  • Ski Erg Calories : 20 secs on/ 40 secs off - 12 rounds
10,10,10,10,9,9,8,8,9,8,9,9 for 109 cals total.

Strength
  • 12 mins to find 1RM Split Jerk.
Another newish one - only done it a couple of times before and trying to be really aggressive and drop under the bar as much as I can.
  • 1 Split Jerk | 55 kg
  • 1 Split Jerk | 60 kg
  • 1 Split Jerk | 65 kg
  • 1 Split Jerk | 67.5 kg
  • 1 Split Jerk | 70 kg
  • 1 Split Jerk | 72 kg
  • 1 Split Jerk | 74 kg
Happy with that as it's a 6.5kg PR!

Didn't get my gymnastics practise in today as I have Squat bootcamp later tonight so rest of week will be gymnastics work and some more engine/conditioning stuff.

Squat bootcamp

Good night for a change - after 2 weeks in the doldrums with my squatting - back to feeling better!!

1 x 7 @ 95kg
1 x 7 @ 100kg
1 x 2 @ 105kg
1 x 2 @ 107.5kg
1 x 2 @ 110kg

Onwards and upwards!!

Tue 15/05/18 – Rest Day

Having trained every day since last Tuesday (7 days) I decided to give myself a rest day. Was bored as soon as I got home though and it was a nice evening so I got in the garden and spent a good hour or so working on Double Unders and finally starting to get somewhere with them!! :D I am now down to single, double, single, double whereas before it was more like single, single, single, single, double so good progress.

I then woke up early yesterday morning so got up and spent some more time on them and they’re definitely getting there, I now just need to work on linking them but hoping with some dedicated practise I’ll have them nailed in the next couple of weeks. That will be HSPU’s and DU’s ticked off within the space of a couple of weeks, hopefully!

Wed 16/05/18 – Hero Month Day 16

Strength / Skill

12 min EMOM, working on technique :

1 x Snatch Grip Deadlift
1 x Hang Power Snatch
1 x Power Snatch

35KG

WOD - “Randy”

For Time: 75 x Power Snatch @ 35kg

Time: 8:46

Not a good workout for me, Snatch and OHS are my weakest lifts so 75 of them was a killer. Especially as 35kg is only 10kg off my 1RM for power snatch Just did a set of 10 at first then broke down into 5’s just to keep moving. Glad I RX’d it instead of going lighter for a faster time, I’ll do this again at some point in future when my snatch has improved.

Thursday PT session

All weakness work -

First ever headstands! Getting used to being upside down.

4 x 10 lat pull downs
3 x 10 press ups
3 x 10 Australian pullups

Then tonight's pukefest - Endurance bootcamp. This is ALWAYS a total horror show. John, the owner, takes this class and it's just max out all the time, no hiding etc. BRUTAL

Endurance

5 min cap

200m row to buy in, into 3 circuits of the carpark run then max out row for remaining time.

Scores
713m
631m
633m

Legs completely wrecked each time - 3 rounds and your scores were the distance rowed once you came in from the run - as above.

Then into max cals assault bike in 1 min - 32cals. Very pleased with this after the above session.

Overall a brutal session - real max efforts, no prisoners taken!

Friday 9.30am Conditioning Class

Partner on/off (worked with the wife!!)

1 min on/1 min off x 3 rounds each station
  • 10 cal buy in skier into max V situps
  • 10 cal assult bike into max down and up
  • 10 Cal row into 20kg kettlebell cleans alt arms.
Good little sweaty session again. Going to smash the weekly comp WOD tomorrow along with some gymnastics practise as I have a slightly sore neck from yesterdays Headstands!

normally dont do fridays, as i was off work i popped into the morning class.

A. “Jerry”
1 mile run
2k Row
1 mile run

shook it up, and did it with a 10kg vest on, 28mins 30something..

B. 5 rds
40 sec. Hang from pull up bar (arms extended)
1 min Rest

Saturday

Weekly Comp WOD

• 1 Round DT
  • 40 Cal Row
  • 1 Round DT
  • 40 x 24" Box Step ups with 2 x 22.5kg dumbells
  • 1 Round DT
  • 40 HSPU
12 Min Cap.

I knew going into this that it was all about the step ups. Sammy who is European Junior Crossfit champion got onto the Box step ups after just 4 mins, but took 6 mins to complete them!!

I scaled DT to 50kg as I had a slight niggle in my neck/shoulder still from Thursdays headstand practice. DT x 2 and Row were fine. Completed in just under 6 minutes. Box step ups were horrendous. It's soo hard with 45kg stepping up onto a box. I always tend to lead with my right leg, I tried to change to left a few times but just wasn't confident to use that lead. Anyway - struggled through and got the last of the step ups just inside the time. Very hard work.

Sat partner Wod

12 rounds of:

15 cal row
5 power cleans 80kg
20 cal bike
18 deadlifts 80kg

split as needed 1 work 1 rest,
we did
15 cal row P1
5 PC P2
10 cal bike P1
10 cal bike P2
then alternate 3's on the deadlifts.
switched about each round.

Sunday Night Squat homework.

2 sets of 7 @ 95kg
2 sets of 7 @ 100kg

Happy to be getting back to 100kg sets again.

Monday

Conditioning - EMOM - 5 Rounds
  • 15 Cal Assualt Bike
  • 15 Call Skier
  • 50 DU (max single unders if scaled)
  • Maximum 24" Burpee Box jumps facing.
  • Rest
Tough shift again. Scale the reps if not finishing the work in around 40 seconds.

Did 15 cals Bike every round
15,12,12,12,12 ski
Single Unders - 60,65,75,66,65
BBJ - 12,10,10,10,10

Pretty happy with that. Really tough going.

Strength

Complex of 1 Hang Squat Clean, 2 Front Squats, 1 Full squat clean. 6 progressive sets, one every 3 minutes. Starting around 70% of 1RM

61kg, 66kg, 68kg, 70kg, 75kg missed on 5th set, but got it on the last set. Very pleased with this as my 1RM for squat clean is 80kg.

Then 5 minutes to find 1RM Hang Squat Clean. My previous Hang Squat clean pr was 74kg

Did - 77kg, 80kg, 82.5kg, missed 85kg twice. Still 82.5kg is a 8.5kg PR!

Into week 3 now of the new program and feeling a bit more inline with it all - it was all a bit overwhleming in terms of the amount of work involved but really enjoying the challenge of it all.

Treated myself to some new shoes - Some nice Nike Metcon Free X. Needed something with a little more cushioning in them rather than the fairly flat (but very stable) Nano's. First time today with them and very pleased, feel very stable but extremely comfy

Last edited:
Thurs 17/05/18 – Bootcamp

25 minute AMRAP, in pairs sharing:

200m Run (together)
10 x Box Jump
10 x KB Swing – 24kg
10 x OH Lunge – 20kg plate
10 x Sit Ups – 20kg plate (used 15kg)
10 x Burpees
200m Run (together)
20’s
200m Run
30’s
and so on

Finished 36 burpees of the rounds of 40

Fri 18/05/18 – Rowing Class

4 x 500m with 2 min rest in between. Working on generating power with the legs then a slow recovery, keeping the strokes per minute at :
  1. 20
  2. 22
  3. 20
  4. 24

Sun 20/05/18

Did my first ever individual competition yesterday, first at RX too :D It was a great day and feeling accomplished today. I'll add some more info and photos later but needless to say I'm a bit stiff and sore today.

Last edited:
Sun 20/05/18 – Competition “18.1” at CrossFit MaxOn, Macclesfield

This was my first ever comp outside of my own box, first individual comp, and first at RX! Basically I wanted to enter and one of the lads at the gym, Victor, who is an absolute beast, said he’d enter with me but only if I did RX so thought why not. I was worried that some of the weights may be too heavy but thought it was worth entering and challenging myself. The main aim, with this being my first RX / Individual comp, was to not finish last!

WOD 1

800m run
30 x D Balls @ 40kg
20 x Box Over Burpees

8 min time cap

Time : 7:50

Tough WOD to get started, especially as I’ve never done D Balls before o_O Basically you had to clean the ball from the floor and drop it over your shoulder, turn and repeat. 30 times! :eek: I tested the 20kg then 30kg D Balls at first just to warm up and even they felt heavy and awkward, then just did a couple at 40kg. Was not feeling confident about them at all but thought I’ve just got to get on with it. I was in Heat 3 so after a little waiting and watching I got started on my turn, just kept the run at a steady pace as I didn’t want to come into the D balls already gassing. First couple felt ok but then I fumbled and dropped either the fourth or fifth one and thought “oh no, this could be the start of a long slog!”. Got some chalk though and then managed to get into a bit of a rhythm but due to the shape and nature of the ball, it just felt so awkward! I knew as long as I kept moving though I’d be ok as I’m fast with burpees and can usually step on the gas during burpees, box over burpees, bar over burpees, etc.

Got through the 30 then started on the burpees at a good pace but legs started turning to jelly about halfway through. Had about four reps to go and heard someone shout “two more” to the guy next to me so just blitzed my way through the last few reps then crumbled onto the floor, managing to finish before he did.

Glad to finish within the time cap as I wasn’t sure I was going to once I started lifting the D Ball but I finished in 5th place after WOD 1 which I wasn’t expecting and was really pleased with :D

Actually dead after the workout:

upload_2018-5-22_11-28-46.png

Standings after WOD 1. Two of the guys above me, Rick and Victor, are also from my gym. Victor is huge and made the D Balls look like he was just tossing a beach ball over his shoulder! :laugh: I was a lot quicker than him on the burpees though so it only came down to two seconds between us, I finished 7:50 and he was 7:48!

upload_2018-5-22_11-30-20.png

WOD 2 & 3

WOD 2 :

5 Mins to establish max lift for complex of 1 x Cluster + 2 x Thruster – 60kg

2 min rest

WOD 3 (8 min time cap) :

21 – 15 – 9 Deadlift @ 100kg
42 – 30 – 18 Wall Balls @ 9kg

(21 deadlifts then 42 wall balls, 15 deadlifts then 30 wall balls, 9 deadlifts then 18 wall balls)

I knew I would struggle with most things max lift related, I really need to spend some time working on a strength cycle, and this was a difficult lift :( Attempted 60kg which felt OK but already felt heavy and then 65kg which I didn’t lock out on the second rep. Attempted it again and was a couple of inches from locking it out overhead but just couldn’t get it out. I forgot one of the fundamentals of overhead pressing though, pushing your head through, which may have meant me getting it in hindsight.

2 min rest then onto the deadlifts which were pretty heavy for me considering 100kg isn’t too far off 1.5 x bodyweight for me at the moment. Gritted my teeth though and just did 6, 5, 5, 5 then moved on to the wall balls. So many wall balls!! Did 11 before getting a no rep as I was just below the line, then another 11, then just had to do as many as possible as I was really starting to feel it by now. 5, 5, 5 on the deads, more wall balls then managed to get back on the bar and hit four of the 9 dead’s before running out of time. Once again collapsing at the end! :censored:

Reps : Finished the 30 wall balls and managed 4 of the 9 deadlifts

As expected, that dropped my down the table a few places (the top lift for the complex was 100kg so I was well behind) but was still a few places off bottom after three WOD's, now sitting in 8th with only one workout to go.

upload_2018-5-22_11-47-40.png

A. Bench Press
80% x 3
85% x 3
90% x 3+

B. 3 Rounds
500m Row
30 Sumo Deadlift High Pull (32/24kg)
15 Burpees

stayed back to do the bootcamp but was full, so me and another did another wod:

12 down to 7 bodyrows, with 400m run each round
6 down to 1 pullups with 400m runs each round

WOD 4 – Four Rounds for Time:

12 x Toes to Bar
8 x DB Hang Clean & Jerk with each arm (22.5kg), one arm for 8 then the other arm, not alternating
16 calorie row

9 min time cap

Rounds: Finished the 16 cals of round three. Did get to the bar and hit one TTB but it was just on the time limit so didn’t count. Really grippy workout, shoulders and forearms were on fire and the tops of my shoulders were battered from the DB slamming down on them.

Another tough workout but got through them all and really enjoyed the day, I actually managed to creep up a place as well and tied in 7th place out of 11 (although it says 8th on the spreadsheet but me and 7th place both finished on 30 points) so happy with that.

Really had to dig deep at times and learned I can push myself even harder when I need to, I was completely out of my comfort zone but it was a great challenge and will definitely make me improve. Good preparation for Rainhill’s in July too, overall a great experience :D

Considering I only started Crossfit in October, I'm really proud to have competed at RX so soon and feel like everything is coming together at the moment. Looking forward to the next 6-12 months and nailing more of the movements and lifts :)

upload_2018-5-22_12-32-12.png

There were four of us from our gym and one of the girls came third in RX and one of the lads came second in RX so we had two podium finishers on the day which was great for our gym.

Tuesday

Conditioning - 3km row with 6 shuttle runs every 2 mins 30 seconds.

Some fun in the sun for this one. Hard to pace as I've never really gone long on the rower but I guess that 2 minutes per 500m was a reasonable pace to hold. My max effort pace is around 1.38/40 when pushing short distances hard.

Team worked together today. Sammy is European Junior Champ (17) and Liam is a monster on the weights (squats 250kg!) - some of the girls are fast and strong as well so a good mix of people.

Finished in 14.22 which was 40 seconds behind the fastest male (Sammy) - happy with that and I think if I did it again I could go a little quicker for sure. Felt there was still a bit in the tank.

Then did some T2B work. EMOM for 10 mins. 4,3,2,3,2,3,3,2,1,4. Very pleased with this as it shows some good progress for me.

I'm the one in the blue!!

Wednesday

Early start as my son swims at 6am till 7.30am so decided to head in and get my work done in between dropping him off and picking him up.

Conditioning

10 mins max effort any machine (row, ski, bike) - Decide on bike - 145 cals in 10 mins. Not too bad. Again not having anything much previous to go on, I could have maybe gone a bit harder at the outset but I reckon that was around 90-95%. I know for the future I have something to work with now.

Lifting/Strength

EMOM - Touch and Go.
  • 5 Clean and Jerk - Round 1
  • 4 Snatch - Round 2
6 Rounds of each - so each one done per minute. I went with 50kg for C&J and 40kg for Snatch. Tough going, I struggled in the middle a bit with the timing as there wasn't much break going every minute. Tecnhique started to break down towards the end a bit - a few were not touch and go and I think I missed a couple of reps here and there but happy to plug away at it.

Then 5 minutes weakness work - Double Unders - Again small improvements here. Still working on them.

Wednesday night Squat bootcamp

Another good session tonight - working on doubles ahead of next weeks test night.

Doubles at 95/100/105/110/113/115kg. Certainly another couple of kg in there but ran out of time - Pleased with that as my 1RM is 120kg.

Was going to have a rest day on Monday after the comp as I was quite sore and stiff but traffic was so bad I couldn’t even get on the motorway so turned back and went to the gym.

Mon 21/05/18 – Hero Month Day 21

“3 Wise Men”

3 x 4 min AMRAP:

A) 5 x Hang Squat Snatch @ 60kg (Scaled to 35kg)
10 x Bar Facing Burpees

2 min rest

B) 10 x Power Clean @ 60kg (Scaled to 35kg as had to use same weight as HSS)
20 x Pull Ups

2 min rest

C) 15 x Box Jump Overs
30 x Wall Balls

Rounds / Reps: A: 3 + 1 Snatch / B: 2 + 10 x Power Cleans / C: 1 + 5 x Wall Balls

Tough going after Sunday, everything felt quite slow and laberous but helped to dust off the DOMS! Then had my rest day on Tuesday.

Wed 23/05/18 – Hero Month Day 23

“Georgie”

20 min AMRAP:

Buy in – 65 sit ups, then:

7 x Burpees
11 x Push Ups
22 x KB Swings

Rounds : 8 + 12 x Swings

Good one for me, tailor made as I love burpees and can do push ups and swings all day. One of those “Just keep moving!” WOD’s as the transitions and rest can cost so much time when you add all the seconds up.

Last edited:
bootcamp last night:

partner wod 1:1 split reps as needed.
50 min time cap.

1k row
1 length Tyre flip (25m)
800m run
1 length Tyre flip (25m)
200m farmers carry 2x32kg kettle-bell
1 length Tyre flip (30m)
100 burpees
1 length Tyre flip (30m)
100 burpees
1 length Tyre flip (30m)
200m farmers carry 2x32kg kettle-bell
1 length Tyre flip (30m)
800m run
1 length Tyre flip (30m)
1k row

completed in just over 40 mins

a good gassy session really enjoyed it.

Friday

Another frustrating days work!!:laugh::laugh:

Lifting Complex - Hang Squat Snatch into Overhead Squat into full squat snatch.

Always a tough one - missed loads and loads of these but kept plugging away. Not getting too annoyed with myself as I know a lot of these are still newish to me.

Anyway - 30/35/37.5/40/42.5 all hit. Missed 45kg loads of time. I need to be a little more patient with them as I'm trying to get under a little to quick.

Then find 1RM Full Squat Snatch - hit 45kg on a single but missed tons at 47.5kg. She's a wicked mistress Mrs Snatch.

Conditioning Class

Working with the wife again - 10 reps each (I go , you go 10 each then 9 each etc) down to 1 rep before moving to next movement.
  • box jumps
  • Slam ball squat into ball slam
  • dumbell snatch
  • Alt leg V situps
  • Down and Up's
Did fairly well between us in the 20 mins - got through pretty much all of it bar the D&U's.....Also I did proper fast box jumps today (normally step up) and felt good. New Nike Metcon Free's feel really cushioned compared with my Nano 7's.

Looking forward to Sunday - First Dynamic Athlete Camp at the gym. About 50 people all there with various workouts etc - big team environment and some fun stuff as well.

Saturday

Weekly comp WOD. No time cap.
  • 50 wall balls (9kg)
    40 green banded pull ups
    30 burpees over bar
    20 cleans (50kg)
    10 thrusters (40kg)
I needed to use a band for pull ups but that was still a huge weakness for me. Cleans could have been better in terms of stringing them together and Thrusters cost me time as I was totally blowing by then. 13.27 time wise. Very hard work for me!!

Sooooo...... Who else did Murph yesterday? My first ever Murph, felt nervous before it :laugh:

Managed to do it RX in 44:02 though (board says 44:03 which I only noticed after but I definitely came back in at 44:02, every second counts! :rotfl:) which I was pleased with. I had another comp on Saturday which was my second in the space of a week so going into it I aimed for somewhere between 45-60 mins so was pleased with sub-45. The last mile was tough going, especially as our route included a motorway bridge that was up a hill so that was taxing on the legs and lungs with the vest on.

One of the girls who was the last to finish was really struggling toward the end but carried on and completed it RX, for her last mile a load of us did the run with her just to get her through it. Great community spirit which is one of the things I love about CrossFit. So I actually ended up doing Murph + 1 Mile :eek:

upload_2018-5-29_10-32-50.png

upload_2018-5-29_10-33-10.png

upload_2018-5-29_10-33-26.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom