CrossFit

Right time for a change up in training. A couple of spots opened up on the Dynamic Athlete program at the gym. This is more structured program instead of the various (random) daily/weekly classes. Usually consisting of conditioning work, strength work and then weakness work, along with a weekly Competition WOD which needs judge by another athlete. There is normally 3 full days of programming to be completed ideally over the week, along with personalised weakness work. I thought I'd give the program a go for a few months and see how I get on.

Ideally partner up with another person and push yourself/each other as much as possible. Couple of the guys on the program have taken huge leaps forward in body shape/fitness etc as it's more structured to them rather than just various classes etc. There is a core structure and then personalised weakness stuff.

Monday

Conditioning

Every 2 mins complete (and log times)

• 250m row
  • 250m run
5 Rounds of each.

Nice day so rowers setup near the door and then ran outside with another guy who is faster than me but managed to be pretty much on point with him during whole workout.

Row (250m) - 49, 48, 48.6, 49.6, 49.4
Run (250m) - 40, 39, 38, 40, 39

Then gymnastic work - huge weakness for me. Personalised to 4 T2B in 90 seconds, then 8 min EMOM - 2 T2B. Managed 3, then 1,1,1,1,2,1,1,1. It's a start!! Back later today for Squat Homework.

An extra session last night, there was room in the bootcamp class.

Partner WOD. 1:1

100 burpees
42 deadlift (60kg)
42 Box jumps
30 deadlift (60kg)
30 Box jumps
18 deadlift (60kg)
18 Box jumps

3 mins rest

10 rounds of Cindy.
5 pullups
10 pressups
15 squats.

2 mins rest

4 lengths of tyre flips (approx 35m per length)
400m farmers carry (2x32kg kettlebells)

@booyaka Do you follow WODPrep on facebook? Worth doing so if not, they have loads of helpful videos and recently posted one for TTB's that might help.

@booyaka Do you follow WODPrep on facebook? Worth doing so if not, they have loads of helpful videos and recently posted one for TTB's that might help.

I don't but I'll take a look - thanks!

Tuesday

Conditioning - Offftttt - Assault Bike Calories
  • 1 min max effort (22 cals)
  • 1 min res
  • 2 min max effort (32 cals)
  • 1 min rest
  • 3 min max effort (40 cals)
  • 1 min rest
  • 4 min max effort (52 cals)
  • 1 min rest
  • 5 min max effort (65 Cals)
  • 1 min rest
That was a brute of a workout - Looking for total and also the various intervals. Total was 211 calories overall which I'm pretty happy with as I was doing it with a lad that made top 200 in UK in The Open and he hit 222. Legs shredded.

Then

3 Mins AMRAP
  • 7 Power Cleans (45kg)
  • 7 Front Squats (45kg)
Managed 3 rounds plus 7PC and 5 Front Squats

3 Mins AMRAP
  • 7 Deadlifts (45kg)
  • 7 STOH (45kg)
Another weakness here - STOH - Managed 2 rounds, 7 deads and 6 STOH.

Sat 05/05/18 - Day 5 of Hero Month

"Holleyman"

30 rounds for time, in partners - You Go I Go (15 rounds each)

5 x Wall Balls
3 x Hand Stand Push Ups (Scaled to Hand Release Push Ups)
1 x Power Clean @ A: 102.5 / B: 80 / C: 60 / D: 45 (Scaled to 70kg)

Time: 13:03

Edit: also did some bits for Rainhill's.

Max TTB in 1 min - 18
Max HSPU in 1 min - 0

Tried working on my kipping HPSU's, working on getting the hip thrust into the HSPU but couldn't lock out a single rep :(

Also attempted to beat my 3RM on the deadlift but failed at 135kg. Probably too much to ask after the WOD.

Sun 06/05/18 - Day 6 of Hero Month

"Tommy Mac"

2 Rounds for time:

12 x Burpees
12 x Thrusters @ 52.5kg (Scaled to 35kg)
12 x Burpees
12 x Power Snatches (Scaled to 35kg)
12 x Burpees
12 x Push Jerks @ 52.5kg
12 x Burpees
12 x Hang Squat Clean @ 52.5kg
12 x Burpees
12 x Overhead Squat @ 52.5kg (Scaled to 35kg)

25 min time cap

Three options for this one as Sunday is usually pairs or teams:

1) Do it alone
2) In partners, 12 reps each
3) In partners, 6 reps each

Partner and I went over the time cap but decided to finish it off, took 38:19

Absolute sweatfest!! It was so hot and sunny on Saturday and the box was boiling, probably the hottest and sweatiest workout I've done yet. Good workout though, set me up for the day of drinking that came after it :rotfl:

A. Back Squat
75% x 5 reps (127.5kg)
85% x 3 reps (144 KG)
95% x 1+ reps (161.5 kg) , managed 4 reps.

B.WOD
5 rds
10 Power Cleans (70/50kg)
15 HSPU (i did pike push ups)
15 Box Jump Overs (24"/20")
just went at a steady pace, completed in around 16mins

my legs are feeling it now.

Tue 08/05/18 - Day 8 of Hero Month

"Helton"

3 Rounds for time:
800m run
30 x DB Squat Cleans @ 22.5kg (Scaled to 16kg Kettlebell’s*)
30 x Burpees

Time: 30:38

Yuk. No wonder this has Hel(l) in the name! Just used the runs at a steady pace as active recovery / rest and did the squat cleans and burpees in sets of 10's and 5's toward the end. Just a long old slog, we had a 30 minute time cap but I was almost finished on my last set of burpees so finished the lot.

*I wanted to go 17.5kg DB’s but was too late to the rack and it was either 10kg or 25kg left. Former was too light and latter too heavy so went with the KB’s instead. Weird movement doing them with KB's as you start with your hands the wrong way round then kind of twist on the way up the clean and into the squat, really started taking it's toll on the delts!

Wednesday

Barbell Complex
  • 5 Deadlifts into 5 Hang Power Cleans into 5 Front Squat into 5 Shoulder to Overhead - 15 min time cap to find max weight - Must be unbroken for full complex.
I knew going into this that the last movement (STOH) would be my limiting factor. Started out fairly light at 35kg but worked up to completing 52.5kg. Did 5/5/5 @ 55kg but failed on first STOH so that round doesn't count. First 3 movements are all fine at that weight but poor STOH limited me.

Conditioning
  • 1000m Ski (3.50)
  • 2 min rest
  • 750m Ski (2.56)
  • 2 min rest
  • 500m Ski (1.54)
Tough going after the complex, but pushed hard - nothing left by the end.

Squat Bootcamp tonight

Another slightly disappointing night at Squat Bootcamp.

Aiming to get back to my sets of 7 @ 100kg.

1st set of 7 - 95kg
2nd set of 7 - 100kg - failed 4th rep.
3rd set of 7 - 90kg
4th set of 7 - 95kg

Two reasons I think - Change up in training this week has hit me hard, feeling pretty tired and secondly normally don't train on a Wednesday before squatting but did today.

Will get back on form hopefully next week!

Wed 09/05/18 – Hero Month Day 9

“Nate”

20 min AMRAP:

2 x Muscle Ups (Scaled to 4 x Pull Ups)
4 x Hand Stand Push Ups
8 x KB Swings – 32kg (Scaled to 24kg)

Rounds : 7 + 3 x HSPU’s

Big milestone for me last night, first time I’ve ever managed kipping HSPU’s!! :D I wasn’t even supposed to be training last night and was having a rest day but traffic was horrendous on the M60 and my journey home was showing over an hour so decided to train and so glad I did.

Finally nailed the timing of the kip and then the press to lockout thanks to a little advice someone game me on Saturday which was to stay relaxed through the movement until the last second then tense and lockout. We had 10 mins to warm up before the WOD so I was trying this but still not getting the timing right and couldn’t get up fully until the coach told me to bring my knees closer to my chest and explode faster and suddenly it just clicked and ended up I knocking out 31 of them in the WOD!!!!! :D:D:D

Managed 7 rounds of four HSPU's but in the eighth round I spent the last four-ish minutes trying to get that fourth rep but just couldn’t get it, shoulders were absolutely fried but I had a huge smile on my face knowing that I’d ticked something else off the “To Do” list :) I was using two ab mats but progress is progress and now I can work on reducing to one mat and eventually a level surface using one mat and plates either side.

I’m going to do them a couple more times over the next week or two then try the Max HSPU’s in one minute for my Rainhill seedings.

Last nights

A. Shoulder Press
75% x 5 (52.5kg)
85% x 3 (59.5kg, but did 60kg)
95% x 1+ (66.5kg, 3 reps)

B. For time:
60-50-40-30-20
Double Unders
30-25-20-15-10
T2B

There was a 20min cap on the WOD, but i went over a couple of mins,as i did it RX and wanted to complete it.

Thursday

PT session - lots of gymnastic work - lots of banded pullups/banded c2b etc. Lat pull downs/Bench press etc - trying to work on building the muscles etc needed for pullups etc.

Comp WOD - 12 min Cap

4 Rounds
  • 5 x 30" Burpee Box Jump
  • 10 x 22.5kg Alt Dumbell Snatch
2 Rounds
  • 21 9kg Wall Balls
  • 15 Cal Assault Bike
  • 9 50kg Overhead Squat (scaled to 35kg for me)
  • 6 Bar Muscle Ups or 12 Chest to Bar
Normally due to "dodgy" knees I step up but thought what the hell, lets stick with the program. Surprised myself at making all the BBJ @ 30" - Got no repped a couple of times for not locking out the hips. First 4 rounds were ok. Wall balls were fine, Bike was ok. Really struggled on the OHS.

Legs were empty after the bike so needed to just settle myself down and eventually I got all 9 done in 2's/3's. I don't have BMU or C2B so only 10 seconds left at the end so did 5 High knee raises.

Happy with my first run at a Comp WOD since the Open.

Friday

Feeling the effects of 6th session this week on the new program for sure.

9.30 Conditioning Class (reps split even between me and partner)
  • 100 24" box jump overs
  • 40 Cal Bike
  • 100 Ball pass situps
  • 40 Cal Bike
  • 100 Kettlebell cleans
  • 40 Cal Bike
Then Lifting session- 12 Min Squat Clean EMOM -2 reps every minute - 65kg - 2,0,1,2,2,2,1,2,1,2,2,1

Not my best Squat Cleans but legs and arms are very tired. Day off tomorrow for sure!

Thurs 10/05/18 – Bootcamp

30 min AMRAP. In pairs, sharing:

1k Row
30 x OH Lunge with 20kg plate
60 x Box Jumps
90 x Ground to Overhead – 20kg plate
120 x Air Squats
400m Run
120 x Sit Ups
90 x KB Swing – 24kg
60 x Russian Twist – 20kg plate (I used 10kg as I’ve injured my back a few times in the past doing Russian twists)
30 x Burpees

Rounds : 1 + 30 lunges

Not sure if it’s because the Hero WOD’s have been so intense recently but this felt like a nice walk in the park last night, just a good bit of cardio really.

Fri 11/05/18 – New Rowing Class

One of the members of our box, Victor, was a championship rower when he was younger and has won medals back when he lived in Poland. Not 100% certain what level he was at but he knows his stuff and him and the owner of our box have decided to put on a four week rowing class for everyone to improve technique and learn some hints and tips. Within 24hrs of it being announced on our facebook page, he was booked up for six months!

It’s a four week course, every Friday for an hour at 6pm but will include some homework for in the week too. We started off with a 2k row so he could assess our technique and so we had a starting time that we can compare to in four weeks at the end of the course.

Time : 7:42.2 Just kept a steady pace throughout and my splits were quite consistent. Legs were like jelly at the end though!

upload_2018-5-14_10-26-33.png

Then we drilled some technique and form and learnt about the drag factor setting (I already knew about that as he’d told me about it previously). Good session and looking forward to learning and improving over the next few weeks.

upload_2018-5-14_10-27-2.png

Sat 12/05/18 – Member of the Month WOD (Chris) – “Stranger Things”

In pairs

1)
Eleven
11 min AMRAP (You go, I go, We go):

11 x Deadlifts @ 100kg (Scaled to 90kg) – Partner 1
11 x KB Swings @ 32kg (Scaled to 24kg) – Partner 2
11 x Synchro Bar Facing Burpees – Both together
(11 is and odd number so you end up on opposite sides of the bar and Partner 1 will then be on KBS’s / Partner 2 on DL’s)

2 min rest

2)
Barb Deserved Better
11 min AMRAP (each do the following but can’t move on to next exercised until both have finished):

20 x Box Jumps
30 x Press Ups
40 x Sit Ups
50 x Air Squats

2 min rest

3) Into the Upside Down

In 11 minute window:

Both run 800m with DB weight of your choice (15kg), can pass the DB as often as you want, then:

One partner hold a Wall Handstand for as long as possible whilst other partner AMRAP’s Alternating DB Hang Clean & Jerk. When handstand is stopped or DB is put down, swap places. Score is DB weight x C&J reps.

So that we weren't all trying to get to the wall at the same time for hand stands and just to free up a little space on the gym floor, some people started on 1 and worked through to 3, some started on 2 and finished on 1 and a few of us started on 3 and finished on 2. Partner and I started on 3 and finished on 2. Rounds / Reps:

3) 1,462 (97 reps x 15kg)
1) 3 + 9 Deadlifts
2) 2 + 23 push ups

This was a brilliant WOD, so well thought out! All linked to season one of Netflix's Stranger Things and bits like ending up on the other side of the bar and the hand stand holds for "The Upside Down" were just a really nice touch.

Only problem was I partnered up with a lad who was only on his second ever session and this almost killed him :laugh: I kept asking him what weights he wanted to go at and telling him to take it easy if he wasn't sure but I think a little ego got in the way and he didn't want to go in too light. At first I said I was going to do 100kg on the dead's and he said he'd give it a go so I thought we best do 90kg.

The first set of KB swings and burpees were a struggle for him though as we'd already done the run, hand stand holds (he did wall climbs) and DB C&J's so I suggested he only do 60kg on the Dead's but then our coach could see he was struggling so told him to do 40kg.

I then told him to lead on the reps and just do as few as he felt he needed but he kept trying to do too much. In the end I just had to say let's do the reps in 6 and 5 then burpees 4, 4, 3. He was almost sick twice then said he couldn't carry on and finish part 2 so I did that myself.

He vanished for about 15 mins then came out of the toilet white as a sheet :rotfl: We've all been there and we had a good laugh about it. I just said "Welcome to CrossFit!", we've all been there :p

Post workout daft pic. Some people couldn't even make it up off the floor for the photo :laugh:

upload_2018-5-14_11-12-37.png

Sun 13/05/18 – Hero Month Day 13

“Lumberjack 20” (in partners though so Lumberjack 40)

In pairs, sharing reps:

40 x Deadlift - 125kg (scaled to 90kg)
400m run (runs done together)
40 x Kettlebell Swing - 24kg
400m run
40 x OHS - 52.5kg (scaled to 35kg)
400m run
40 x burpees
400m run
40 x Pull ups
400m run
40 x Box Jump - 24"
400m run
40 x Dumbbell Squat Clean - 20kg (scaled to 15kg)
400m run

Time : 33:53

I've also done this workout back on 27th December but with a different partner and we got a faster time back then (27:19) although my partner at that time does a lot of running so he was setting the pace for the runs. We only did 20kg OHS back then but did 35kg (37.5kg for the first five reps each but it felt heavy and we were both a little wobbly) on Sunday so improvement on that. Partner was struggling toward the end so I ended up doing 25 of the DB Squat Cleans.

Good workout, loving the Hero WOD's at the minute. "Santiago" tonight.

Oh, I tested my kipping HSPU's yesterday as well. This time with only one mat and a 15kg plate either side which is the standards for the Rainhill seedings. Managed 6 reps :D Not a huge number and I failed a few reps toward the end but considering last Saturday I managed 0 reps, 6 is a huge improvement!

I have the rankings / results from the April seedings and just getting those six reps would have increased my position in the HSPU / HRPU table by 17 places! Obviously it will all be different in July depending on who enters and people's results but having April's results gives me an idea of where I would've been then and should give me a rough idea of which category I'll get into in July.

I've also entered a local comp this weekend (Sunday) at CrossFit Maxon on Macclesfield. I wanted to enter but no-one from our gym had entered and I didn't fancy going on
my own so posted on our group page and the lad who does the rowing, Victor (who is an absolute beast) said he’ll enter but only if we both do RX!

I was hesitant as some of the weights may be a bit much and I still can’t do DU’s but he managed to talk me into it. Then another lad, Rick, who is one of the best at our gym has entered as he didn’t want to miss out and we now also have a girl who recently finished third in her category at Rainhill’s who has entered today.

Should be a great day but I’m in tough company just with the guys from my own gym, never mind any others!

Did some bits and bobs over the weekend whilst my son was training but nothin major (banded pull ups and squats)

Monday

Conditioning

• 2 Minutes - 15 Cal Assault into AMRAP Burpees
  • 2 Minutes Rest
  • 2 Minutes - 15 Cal Assault into AMRAP DU
  • 2 Minutes Rest
  • 2 Minutes - 15 Cal Assault into 13kg Wall Balls.
  • 2 Minutes Rest
2 Full rounds.

OMG - Doesn't sound much but that was hard going. I smashed out the Cal's and then went hard as I could on everything. Double unders are very slowly progressing, I still need to go single, single, single, double, single, single, single, double etc for my rhythm but gradually I'll get that down to less singles etc. 13kg wall ball is a different game from the usual 9kg one. That was as shock to the system on the first set!!

Burpees 27/17
Doubles - 9/10 (PR for me!!!)
Wall ball - 13/15

Then 2 Rep Max Power Clean into Push Jerk (no split allowed) - 8 progressive sets, 2 reps every 2 minutes. HOWEVER, touch and go reps with no pause in the rack position.

35kg/40/45/50/53/55/58/60 and did 2 x 62kg but got no repped from one of the coaches!! - told me I racked it for like 0.0003 of second too long to count.:laugh::laugh: (i did rack it too long so I knew it was a no rep as I tried to adjust my grip!!) Tried again and got a single at 62kg.

Mon 14/05/18 – Hero Month Day 14

“Manion”

What do you need after Sunday’s Lumberjack 20 that included 7 x 400m runs? Oh yes, another 7 x 400m runs!! :eek:

7 x Rounds for Time:

400m Run
29 x Back Squats @ 60kg (Scaled to 50kg)

Scaling Options:

B: 7 x Rounds of 400m run / 15 x Back Squat
C: 7 x Rounds of 200m run / 15 x Back Squat
D: 5 x Rounds

I went with option B, I was going to go C because of all the running the day before and legs still being a little tight but once I started running and everyone else was running 400m I thought I may as well carry n and do B.

Time : 26:14

Tough on the legs but just took the runs nice and steady and treated them as rest and recovery. Some of the guys were doing A RX’d, that’s 203 back squats at 60kg!!!!

Tuesday

Conditioning
  • 500 row into 500m run into 50 DU (100 singles for me)
  • 400 row into 400m run into 40 DU (80 singles for me)
  • 300 row into 300m run into 30 DU (60 singles for me)
  • 200 row into 200m run into 20 DU (40 singles for me)
  • 100 row into 100m run into 10 DU (20 singles for me)
18 min Time cap overall. Tough one, rowed outside in the sunshine and then inside on the assault runner then back out for the skipping. Pushed hard as I hate running and finished in just over time cap - 18.17. Transitions could have been a touch quicker to get me under cap.

Strength

2 Rep Squat Snatch, touch and go - 8 rounds ascending weights - Always another struggle for me.
30kg/35/37.5/40/42.5kg , then missed a ton of 45kg!! More weaknesses exposed.

Did you do all that conditioning before the snatches? :eek:

Did you do all that conditioning before the snatches? :eek:

yip....it was "only" 18mins 17 seconds but trying to keep the intensity high. I know it would be ideal to split everything up and work lifting for a session on it's own etc but not always possible. I did take a good 10 mins to recover!!:laugh::laugh:

Last night

A. Back Squat
75% x 5 (127.5kg)
80% x 5 (136kg)
85% x 5+ (144.5 kg got 9 reps)

B. For Time:
50/40 Cal Bike
50 GHD Sit Ups
50/40 Cal Row

and tonight's actions is

A. Shoulder Press
75% x 5 (52.5kg)