CrossFit

Pt Session

First day back after 6 days in Vegas!! Still feeling jet lagged!

5 rounds
  • 500m cross trainer
  • 15 clean and push 20kg ball.
5 Rounds - every 1.30 complete
  • 8 squats holding 15kg ball on shoulder
  • then max effort ski erg
5 rounds
  • 1 min gentle run
  • 1 min off
Was pretty disgusting as I've done nothing for 8 days.....longest break from Crossfit since I started about 8 months ago. Felt rubbish, Trainer was a bit concerned due to me getting the shakes during the ski etc - No doubt a few sessions to get back into things.

Pt Session

Trainer was a bit concerned due to me getting the shakes during the ski etc - No doubt a few sessions to get back into things.

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Vegas baby! How was the trip? I take it you didn't go to a CF gym over there then?

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl::rotfl: Vegas baby! How was the trip? I take it you didn't go to a CF gym over there then?

No Crossfit over there - I took my gear but just didn't happen - Bonkers place - you need to go once in your life to experience it.

No Crossfit over there - I took my gear but just didn't happen - Bonkers place - you need to go once in your life to experience it.

I've already been twice, unbelievable place. I'm a huge boxing fan so went over with the Mrs for the Mayweather v Alvarez fight which was an amazing experience. Vegas in general was brilliant but the buzz of fight week was unreal, went to the weigh in and the fighter arrivals, even met Mike Tyson!

I then went again the following year with a couple of mates for the Mayweather v Maidana fight which again was a great experience but did more partying and experienced some of the nightlife which is just something else.

Great place, considering going for my 40th but it’s a lot to ask of people.

Friday

30 min Conditioning Class

10 mins AMRAP:

• 7 Assault Bike Calories
  • 14 Ball Slams, 9 kg
  • 21 Kettlebell Swings, 20 kg
5 rounds + 7 Assault Bike Calories + 7 Ball Slams |

8min AMRAP

• 7 Down & Ups
  • 14 Floor Touch Wall Balls, 9 kg
  • 21 Floor touch jump up to bar touch
4 Rounds Completed

Barbell Class
  • Every 1 min for 10 mins, 3 Squat Cleans, | 50 kg - Managed them all fine (RX was 60kg but with my previous 1RM only being 75kg I stuck to 50kg to get them done)
Then
  • Every 1:30 for 15 mins 2 Squat Cleans - Increasing weight every round where possible.
  • 50 kg, 54 kg, 57 kg , 60 kg , 64 kg, 67 kg ,70 kg, 70 kg, 70 kg , 73 kg
Then
  • Every 2 mins - 1 Single Squat Clean to your max for 5 rounds.
  • Managed 73kg, 77kg, 80kg, and then failed 83kg twice. Happy with the 80kg as that is a 5kg PR for me.

Tues 24/04/18

Strength / Skill

Build to 1RM Cluster (Clean + Thruster), must be technically good - 67.5kg, new PB!

65kg felt good, attempted 70kg but failed so dropped down and hit 67.5kg.

WOD

For Time:

10 x Power Clean
50 x Air Squat
10 x Front Squat
50 x Air Squat
10 x Push Jerk
50 x Air Squat
10 x Clusters

RX = 70kg, scale as needed. I scaled to 50kg.

Time: 8:12

Holy Moly! Talk about an assault on the quads! :eek: On top of all the squats and lunges on Monday plus the squat cleans at lunch, my legs were like jelly. Even the air squats were tough going. Not a bad time though.

Thanks mate. Looks like there's only me an you left in the thread these days :rotfl:

I’m still lurking [emoji3]

WOD today was 20 min amrap of 25 burpees followed by 15 body weight back squats...because when you come off 25 burpees with jelly legs and out of breath the best thing to do is squat 15 times with 80kgs on your back!

Nearly got 4 rounds completed, you had to slow on the burpees or you just stood breathless looking at the bar, quite a “thinker”

Wed 25/04/18

Strength

Build to a heavy but technically good 3 rep push jerk with 3 second pause in dip - 55 x 3

WOD

1) in 4 min window:

500m row then AMRAP:
10 x STOH - A: 60 / B: 50 / C: 40
10 x Sit Ups

4 min rest

2) in 4 min window:

500m row then AMRAP:
10 x Wall Balls - 9kg
30 x Double Unders / 60 x Singles

4 min rest

3) Repeat #1

Rounds:

1) 1 + 5 x STOH
2) 1 + 3 x Singles
3) 6 x Sit ups, didn't even finish the round!

This was an absolute killer! We didn't have enough rowers so the coach asked if anyone wanted to volunteer for the Assault Bike instead so like an idiot, I did! :facepalm: My thinking was, I have a team comp at the end of May and the event page on facebook recently posted that all athletes will be on the bike at some point and I've only ever used one once before so need to get some time on it.

We had to do 30cals instead of a 500m row but my legs were like absolute jelly when I got off from the first go. I couldn't do more than 2 x STOH at a time and just felt so weak and wobbly. Wall Balls were all over the show as well on the second round :rotfl: then had to repeat the STOH's in round three and it was just a disaster.

I don't think it helped that everything I've done this week has been all legs and shoulders. I woke up yesterday morning feeling beat up and counted up that including the recent comp and catching up on the weightlifting, I've trained 12 times in the last 12 days all whilst in a calorie deficit so feel like it just hit me all of a sudden. Taking a few days off now until Monday just to recharge.

Make sure your eating enough - When I'm training 5/6 days a week I need to be up around 3000/3500 calories to maintain my weight. Anything under that and I struggle.

Assault Bike is horrible - we use it a lot at our box and it's a total sapper, total leg emptier. 30 Cals on the bike is WAY harder than 500m row.

Make sure your eating enough - When I'm training 5/6 days a week I need to be up around 3000/3500 calories to maintain my weight. Anything under that and I struggle.

Assault Bike is horrible - we use it a lot at our box and it's a total sapper, total leg emptier. 30 Cals on the bike is WAY harder than 500m row.

I know that now :rotfl:

Monday

1RM Overhead Squat

Always a difficult one - Managed 40kg ok, jumped to 50kg as time was short, failed at the bottom and never had time to go back to 45kg. PR again as my previous was only 32.5kg

WOD1 - 4 mins on/rest 4 mins
  • Assault Bike Cals
  • Overhead Squat (rx 40, I dropped to 30kg)
2,2,4,4,6,6,8,8 etc....

WOD2 - 4 mins/rest 4 mins
  • 12 box jumps
  • 2 T2B
Box jump stays at 12 but T2B goes up in 2's each round , 2,4,6 etc.

Then repeat WOD1 starting from where you finished the last time and same for wod 2

Tough one - Dropped the bar on my head during the round of 8 Overhead Squats! Not Clever.

On a positive note - I managed 2 T2B and then 4 T2B in WOD2 before having to go double for high knee raises.

Overhead Squats are a killer - Flexibility is ok but just need to work on the good balance position on the way down.

Finished round of 12's on WOD1 and Round of 12 on WOD2 plus 12 box jumps.

A beast of a session on saturday.

Teams of 3:
1 working at a time, split reps evenly.

150 cal row
9 sleds ( 1= 25m with 20kg plate)
90 Deadlifts - 120kg
9 sleds
90 burpees
9 sleds
1 mile run together
9 sleds
90 burpees
9 sleds
90 deadlifts
9 sleds
150 cal bike.

Tuesday

3RM of anything you want.

Decided to work on Snatch - always a hard one for me. Got 45kg from the floor but struggled with 50kg and didn't get it. Did Hang Snatch with 50kg and got 3 of them.

WOD1 - 7min cap
  • 1000m row
  • AMRAP Manmakers 22.5kg dumbells
Manmakers should be illegal!! lol - hate them. Row under 4 mins and then struggled through 14 MM. 22.5kg was probably too heavy if I'm honest but gave them a go.

WOD2 - 7min cap
  • Annie -50/50, 40/40 etc Double Unders and Situps.
I am still working on DU so I did 3 singles into a DU, 3 singles into a DU etc etc - So I did 75 singles and 25 double unders (mainly for practice). Did similar for the round of 40 (3 singles 1 DU x 20) etc. Got into round of 30 situps and completed 10 of them. Technique is still work in progress for DU.

WOD3 - 7min cap - AMRAP
  • 10 jumping pull ups
  • 10 lunges
  • 15 20kg KB swings.
Managed 6 full rounds - pretty happy with that and felt it was ok.

Mon 30/04/18 (A Couple of the Seeding Workouts for Rainhill's)

I asked our coach if she'd mind programming a couple of the seeding workouts at some point to save me having to do them in my own time so we did the 3RM STOH and Thruster / Burpee Ladder on Mon and will be doing Viking Kelly on Thursday.

Strength

Build to 3RM Shoulder to Overhead – 70kg

Failed first attempt at 70kg after doing 60kg no probs so dropped to 65kg and hit that, then hit 70kg. Attempted 72.5kg but couldn’t hit the first rep, left shoulder feels really tight at the minute which didn’t help and ran out of time so couldn’t attempt it again but probably had a touch more with a bit more time.

WOD

6 min AMRAP :

Thruster @ 30kg / Bar over Burpee Ladder – 3, 3, 6, 6, and so on for as many reps as possible

Reps: Finished the round of 15’s then managed 13 thrusters for a rep count of 103

Please with that, I have done this before back in December so just wanted to (a) beat my previous score and (b) try and get over 100 reps and managed both :)

Tue 19/12/17

WOD

6 min ladder, increasing by 3 reps

3 x Thruster @ 30kg / 3 x Bar over Burpees
6 x Thruster / 6 x BOB
9… and so on

Completed 15 rounds then 3 thrusters. Nice and quick but very gassy and one of those that doesn’t look too bad on the board, which is always fatal!

Last edited:
Tue 01/05/18

Strength

3 x Position Power Clean with 2 second pauses at:

2” from floor
Below knee
Above knee

60kg Attempted 70kg but failed and ran out of time. 60kg is disappointing!

WOD – Day 1 of Hero Month

“The Chief”

5 x Rounds of 3 min AMRAP:

3 x Power Clean – RX 60kg / I scaled to 50kg
6 x Press Ups
9 x Air Squats

1 min rest

This is a rolling total so wherever you finish at the end of your first three minutes, you then pick up where you left off for your next three minutes. For example if you finished round one on 3 x Press Ups you would start round 2 with the remaining 3 press ups, then on to your squats.

Rounds : 28 + 6 x Press Ups

Good workout for me, absolutely smashed it and just found a pace and stuck with it the whole way with not a single break apart from the minutes rests. Quite a good one to keep moving on as you only had to do small numbers before moving on to the next exercise. The air squats started to burn after a while though and it works out to 252 squats in total so a fair amount of reps! That’s on top of 84 power cleans at 50kg and 174 press ups so no wonder I’m aching this morning.

Edit: I finished with the highest amount of rounds on the day, from any of the four classes so probably could've gone a bit heavier than 50kg looking back.

Not trained for four days until Monday and after that last night and the thrusters and burpees on Monday I feel like I’ve had weeks off!

Squat Bootcamp

I knew this was going to be horrible tonight as I've missed nearly 3 weeks of squatting with holidays etc - It was exactly that - horrible.

Still working on 4 sets of 7 @ 100kg.

1st set - 100kg x 7
2nd set - failed on 3rd rep (!!!) @100kg - legs like rubber !!
3rd set - dropped to 90kg for 7
4th set - 92.5kg for 7

Just lacking volume of squats so will take a couple of weeks I guess to get back to it again.

Wed 02/05/18

Skill

Practice rope climbs and TTB's

WOD - Day 2 of Hero Month

“White”

5 Rounds for time:

(RX / Scaled)

3 x Rope Climbs / 10 x Ring Rows
10 x TTB / Knee Raises / V-Sits
21 x Walking Lunges with 20kg Plate Overhead
400m Run

25 minute time cap

Time: 25:26

This was rough! Started off with rope climbs on the first round and decided to break the TTB’s into sets of five from the off. I’m not great with TTB’s, I can do them but am not very efficient and seem to waste a lot of energy and breath doing them so these were not ideal. First round wasn’t too bad but it was a really taxing WOD, especially doing the walking lunges with the plate overhead then having to go on the run. By the second set I was already feeling it, there aren’t many workouts that I want to quit but I was seriously considering throwing in the towel on this one! I was even thinking of just scaling it back to three rounds as I know I have to do Viking Kelly tonight as part of my Rainhill Seedings. Dug in though and although I went over the time cap I managed to finish the lot.

During the second round though, I got back in and did one rope climb but just couldn’t get my footing for the second climb. I’m ok (just ok though, not great) with rope climbs now until I’m fatigued then I really struggle! So had to drop to ring rows for the remaining reps. Round three I thought I’d try the climbs again but halfway up, as I tried to grab the rope with my feet, whilst bringing my knees to my chest, I caught my man bits in an awkward way that knocked me sick o_O and I ended up falling down the rope and burning my fingers! Stuck with ring rows after that :blush:

The lunges I was breaking into 11 then small rest, 10. In the last round though I knew I was running out of time so just flew through them and practically sprinted the last run. I was an aching quivering mess after it! :censored:

Thursday

Monster Mash - 37 Min time Cap.

5 Rounds
  • 5 burpee box jumps
  • 10 Single Arm dumbell clean and press (22.5kg)
  • 15 Box Step Ups.
Mandatory 3 min rest.

2 Rounds
  • 25 Cal Ski
  • 50 American KB Swings (20kg)
Mandatory 3 min rest.

4 Rounds
  • 10 Ring Rows (rx - 3 bar muscle ups)
  • 20 Hand release pressups (rx - 10 Handstand pressups)
  • 20 Air Squats (rx -10 pistols)
woooffftt - Brutal again - Just a burner from start to finish. 50 KB swings (x2) had my forearms pumping like mad.....that slowed me right down on the Hand release pressups, arms were completely empty. Toughs shift - finished in 36.05. Happy to finish but needed 5 mins lying on the floor to recover.

Thurs 03/05/18 (A Couple More of the Seeding Workouts for Rainhill's)

Skill

Max reps in one minute, pick two of below and do a minute of each:

Muscle Ups
If no MU’s, Pull Ups
If no PU’s, Jumping Pull Ups

Toes to Bar
If no TTB, Sit ups

HSPU
If no HSPU, Hand Release Push Ups

I chose Pull Ups and HRPU’s:

Pull Ups – 35
HRPU – 44

Decent numbers but could probably get a few more of each. During the pull ups I needed to chalk my hands at one point but hadn’t thought to have a chalk bucket near me which cost time :facepalm: HRPU’s I went 20 unbroken at the start then had to drop to 10 + 10 + 4 but probably would’ve been better off doing 15’s. I am going to attempt some HSPU’s and see if I can string some kipping HSPU’s together, I can do a few strict but not sure how many and you have to do them with a pad in between 2 x 15kg plates so it’s a flat / even surface so will see. If I can, I’ll enter that as my score as HSPU’s rank higher than HRPU’s.

WOD – Viking Kelly

3 rounds for time:

20 calorie row
20 x Box Jumps – 24”
20 x Wall Balls

Time: 10:49

Absolute disaster on this, I was hoping for sub 9 minutes! :( First round went well, paced myself well and got back on the rower around 2:40, I had set up my station quite close together for quicker transitions so I was kind of away from everyone else who was doing it (I was the only one in the class who actually needs the score for the competition seeding) and had my rower next to my box and just slightly away from my wall ball target. During the end of my wall balls, someone else jumped on my rower! I was then trying to tell her that I needed the rower but she looked at me blankly and had to tell her I needed it for the comp, all wasting energy and breath when I was already panting for air and trying to finish my WB’s :mad:

The coach asked if I could use another rower that was free but I’d set the drag factor and foot straps so wanted to use the same one. Anyway, she got off but then during the second round, someone else got on it! Again had to tell them I needed the rower and my mind was just on that then and I just lost focus. Started missing wall ball shots that were getting high enough but not hitting the target and my head just went and I felt absolutely gassed out, one of my mates from the gym said the colour just drained out of me and I just went white :censored:

Going to do it again as I know I can do much better, next time I’ll do it in my own time though and make sure no-one else is around to nick my rower :rotfl:

Friday Conditioning

100 reps between you and partner - split anyway you want.

• Russian Twists, 10 kg
  • Burpee Ball Slams, 9 kg
  • Sumo Deadlift High-pulls, 24 kg
  • Box Step-ups, 24 in
  • Walking Lunges
  • Wall Balls but also must touch floor with ball.
  • Star jump into tuck jump
Tasty 20 minute one this. Got first 5 rounds done and 30 wall ball touches each.

Barbell Class

Warm up - Complex - 5 deadlift into 5 hang clean into 5 front squat into 5 jerk (push/split)- 2 rounds low weight. (20/30kg)

Then Complex of 1 Power Clean/Hang clean/front squat/split jerk

1 complex every 90 seconds ( x7) ascending weights. Managed to go 45kg/47.5/50/52.5/55/57.5 and 60kg.

then

1 lift every 2 mins (x7) - 1 x Power clean into Split Jerk to find 1RM - Got 60/62.5/65/67.5 and then failed 70kg 3 times.

First time split jerking so happy enough with my start to that. Need to focus on wider stance and lower stance in the split - be more aggressive with it!

Not into crossfit but I do powerlift. As long as the barbell movements are being done correctly with proper form I think it's a great sport.

todays WOD

50min AMRAP

teams of 3.

Partner 1 - 200m farmers carry 2x32kg kettle bells.
while partner one does that.
partner 2 - 7 Power Cleans (60kg), 7 Burpees over the bar.
(swap with P3 when done, and so on, till P1 is back)
partner 3 - Battle-Ropes.

so no rest...P2 - farmers carry, P1/3 does the PC/BP/BR, then P3 FC, while P2/1 does PC/BP/BR.

the carry's were sore, my forearms/triceps and back were on fire toward the end.

todays WOD

50min AMRAP

teams of 3.

Partner 1 - 200m farmers carry 2x32kg kettle bells.
while partner one does that.
partner 2 - 7 Power Cleans (60kg), 7 Burpees over the bar.
(swap with P3 when done, and so on, till P1 is back)
partner 3 - Battle-Ropes.

so no rest...P2 - farmers carry, P1/3 does the PC/BP/BR, then P3 FC, while P2/1 does PC/BP/BR.

the carry's were sore, my forearms/triceps and back were on fire toward the end.

Sounds like a fun workout but 50mins is way too long for something like that!

50 min AMRAP? Jesus :laugh:

Got this to look forward to after work.

Strength:
A. Bench Press
75% x 5
85% x 3
95% x 1+

WOD
B. For time:
30-25-20-15-10-5
Cal Bike
GHD situps