CrossFit

For anyone who doesn't have a weighted vest yet by the way, my friend picked me this bargain up from Tesco at the weekend. £7.50 for a 10kg vest :thumbsup:

upload_2017-11-1_10-4-56.png

carrying enough weight already myself without adding more!!!:laugh::laugh:

:laugh: I mean for the workouts as I know some require it. Murph, for example.

Nice little workout last night.

Strength - Work up in weight for 3 sets of 5 reps Floor Press (similar to bench press but lay on floor). Warmed up and did 50, 60 then 70kg but felt like I could've gone heavier.

Alternate with walking overhead barbell lunges, full width of room. Only managed 30kg on this, attempted 40kg but only got halfway across the room before losing form. Another new movement for me and just an unnatural feeling / movement trying to walk, lunge, and keep the bar overhead and tight. I just kept feeling myself pulling the bar toward my body so tried to concentrate on pushing it away.

WOD - For time - Three sets (no rest) of:

10 x Deadlift @ 60% of 1RM / 5 x Hand Stand Push Ups

Rest 2 mins then

5 min AMRAP (As many rounds as possible):

1 x Muscle Up (scaled to using a 20” box) / 12 x 24kg KB Snatches (6 each arm) (scaled to 16kg as not done these before)

I used 75kg for my deadlifts as we recently did 1RM deadlift and I got to 122.5kg, 60% would have been 73.5kg so just rounded up to 75kg. I’ve not done HSPU’s before but they have been in a previous class so I’ve worked on the getting upside down from the floor and holding whilst against the wall so yesterday thought I’d give the HSPU’s a go. Not too bad but need to work on them and on kipping HSPU’s for efficiency.

Total time was 9:33 including 2 mins rest and I did 5 rounds + 2 snatches.

Happy with that, workout felt good and not as tough as some and the HSPU’s slowed me down but something to work on. I find that shorter burst workouts I’m much better at, anything with little bits of rest I have a really quick recovery rate. It’s the longer workouts that are taxing but endurance will come over time.

Tonight's WOD. For time:

10 x Power Clean
10 x Front Squat
10 x Push Press
10 x Back Squat
100m run

Then repeat with 8 reps, 6, 4, 2 all with the 100m run at the end.

This was a killer. Time was 12:55 and those 100m runs don't sound much but after the lifts you just had nothing in your legs, felt like jelly and even after the last set I tried to sprint just to get as quick as time as possible but it was like running in treacle :rotfl:

Not sure if they do this at other CF gyms by the way, would imagine they do something similar, but we usually have an A, B and C version of the weights. A being RX then B and C scaled.

A was 70kg men / 50kg women, B 60kg / 40kg and C 40kg / 30kg

Went with C as I think B would've been too much / heavy for me at this stage, probably could've gone 45 - 50kg to be honest but would've really took it out of me and 40kg was tough enough. The weights will come in time, right now it's just about getting the movements and enjoying it.

Sat morning WOD done.

A) 10 rounds of
10 wall balls.
5 burpees.

followed by:
B) 10 rounds of
200m row.
10 kb swings (24kg)

followed by:
C) 10 rounds of.
35m sled push(with 20kg plate)
10 box jumps (24")

Nice, almost a decade then. I'm gutted I have never tried it sooner really but didn't know enough about it and never really looked into it before. Went to a taster session in September, then did a foundations class before taking a week off for Tough Mudder and was then on holiday until 30th Sept so this is effectively my fourth full week.

I decided to enter a comp anyway, bought my ticket for a pairs comp today that my gym is hosting in Jan so have just under three months to train for it. They're having RX and scaled so have gone for scaled, looking forward to it.

Have you just never fancied doing a competition or not considered it?

Is the comp Battle Royale ? I've been doing crossfit since March and am totally addicted. Have entered the Battle Royale comp :D

Am not new to training, have previously trained and competed in bodybuilding comps (figure class) but haven't trained properly in years! Wanted to get back to it but fancied something different. Thought I would give this a go and I totally love it. So addictive and satisfying :)

Has anyone done the Filthy Fifty ? We did it as a pairs WOD the other night, I couldn't actually sleep that night because I was so frazzled.... the WOD was right after a 10RM push press attempt.. I didn't like my shoulders anyway :rotfl:

Sat morning WOD done.

A) 10 rounds of
10 wall balls.
5 burpees.

followed by:
B) 10 rounds of
200m row.
10 kb swings (24kg)

followed by:
C) 10 rounds of.
35m sled push(with 20kg plate)
10 box jumps (24")

That sounds rough!

Is the comp Battle Royale ? I've been doing crossfit since March and am totally addicted. Have entered the Battle Royale comp :D

Am not new to training, have previously trained and competed in bodybuilding comps (figure class) but haven't trained properly in years! Wanted to get back to it but fancied something different. Thought I would give this a go and I totally love it. So addictive and satisfying :)

No, it's one my own gym have arranged. The gym is called M Squared and the comp is called FeMale.

Has anyone done the Filthy Fifty ? We did it as a pairs WOD the other night, I couldn't actually sleep that night because I was so frazzled.... the WOD was right after a 10RM push press attempt.. I didn't like my shoulders anyway :rotfl:

I've not, sounds interesting though. What does it entail?

Today's WOD was an absolute killer! Saturday is partner day and recently my gym started awarding a "Member of the Month", we've had two winners so far (Sept & Oct) and they've now decided to let the winner programme their own WOD. September was won by a ginger lad called Andy and he programmed today's WOD, which he called "Ginger Hobo".

Working in pairs you had to share the following, which you could break down however you saw fit.

KB Swing (partner and I used 20kg)
Down Ups (Burpee without the jump)
Push Press (we used 40kg)

First we had to share 50 of each, then 40, 30, 20, 10 finishing with a 400m run that you had to run together, so couldn't start the run until the last rep of Push press was complete.

Time : 19:13

(50 swings before you could move on to Down ups, 50 down ups before moving on to Push Press and so on)

No, it's one my own gym have arranged. The gym is called M Squared and the comp is called FeMale.

I've not, sounds interesting though. What does it entail?

Pain, much pain... ;)

50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

We did it as a pairs AMRAP with a 20 min time cap. Each taking turns doing 10 reps until complete, we managed 1 round plus 28. Really enjoyed it

Pain, much pain... ;)

50 Box jump, 24 inch box
50 Jumping pull-ups
50 Kettlebell swings, 1 pood
Walking Lunge, 50 steps
50 Knees to elbows
50 Push press, 45 pounds
50 Back extensions
50 Wall ball shots, 20 pound ball
50 Burpees
50 Double unders

We did it as a pairs AMRAP with a 20 min time cap. Each taking turns doing 10 reps until complete, we managed 1 round plus 28. Really enjoyed it

Sounds disgusting.

Did filthy fifty back in 2010...28 mins and change Burpees wrecked me and the double unders were a nightmare
Burpees are so sapping aren't they...can go from feeling ok ish to dead in about 2 seconds flat!

I don't have double unders consistently yet. I managed 20 odd in a row a few weeks ago and literally haven't managed to get one since!

Tonight's WOD was horrible, almost threw up on the gym floor and had to go outside at one point during rest period to cool down and stop myself being sick. Felt absolutely battered after it and can't even be bothered typing it up, will do tomorrow :rotfl:

Ok so no I'm finally over th ordeal of last night, here is what we did.

For time:

21-15-9 (21 reps of each, then 15, then 9):
24" Box Jumps
Pull Ups

4 min rest

21-15-9:
Power Clean (scaled to 40kg)
Bar over burpees

4 min rest

3 rounds of:
7 Power clean
7 bar over burpees
7 box jumps
7 pull ups

Time : 25:04

Horrific. Really felt this one, had my lunch late which didn't help and I really felt like I was going to be sick, had to fight to hold it down!

5 x 5 bench press@80kg

10 min emom of 5 strict hspu x 5 strict pull-ups, bombed out after 9mins, first time doing hspu since 2013 my shoulders were blown, then 2min rest into

10 min emom of 30 double unders, try 35 to 40 next time

Every time I go to the gym now I'm spending 5-10 mins on double under practise just to try and get them. Getting better but still some time off. I'm really good at skipping, used to train at an amateur boxing club and then years ago saw some of Floyd Mayweather's skipping videos and started putting in the practise so got really good and fast and can do crossovers but never got the hang of double unders. Wish I'd have spent more time on them now! I'll get there though.

Last night's session:

Strength - 5 x 2 heavy back squat, increasing weight each time - 70kg / 80kg / 85kg / 90kg / 95kg

Felt comfortable and probably could've gone higher.

WOD - For time, 6 min time cap:

Some members of my gym / box are competing in the Rainhill's Trials at Sportscity (near Manchester City's ground) in Manchester weekend of 18th November so we're doing some of their WOD's this week.

Categories and scaling are:

Rocket (RX / Highest Level - 1)
Kennedy (Level 2)
Rastrick (Level 3)
Wood (Level 4)

Double Unders - R: 80 / K: 70 / RA: 60 or 120 singles / W: 50 or 100 singles
10 x Power Snatch - R: 55kg / K: 50kg / RA: 45kg / W: 40kg
10 x Bar over burpees
Pull Ups - R & K: 20 x Chest to Bar / RA: 15 x PU / W: 10 x PU
10 x Bar over burpees
10 x Power Snatch (as above)
Double Unders (as above)

This was my first time snatching with any weight so went with 30kg just to find a rhythm and get the movement.

Time : 4:33

Last edited:
Strength

3RM Power Snatch

yikes - another new one for me. Struggled with this as it was all in the technique for me. When I got it right, felt easy, when I got it wrong it was awful.....

Worked up to 45kg trying to just work on technique, partner managed 70kg. Practice Practice Practice.

WOD1

8 Min AMRAP

5 Snatch (40kg)
10 deadlift
15 box jump/step ups.

Partner goes for 8 mins, then I was in.

did ok, deads sound light at that level but start to hurt by round 3/4 etc. Got 4 full rounds, starting my 5th and bizzarely my 5 snatches were the best/easiest I managed because I wasn't thinking about it too much, just fired them up!!

WOD2

8 Min Alt EMOM

12 Cal Ski
12 Pull Ups (jumping pull ups for me!)

Tough going as it was all arms but managed it fine.

The snatch is one of those lifts that I think is going to take time but once you get the movement and know it feels right, the weight feels a lot less heavy. Similar to power cleans, you can really feel the difference when you hit a good clean, with the right chain of movements, as opposed to when you first start and are just trying to drag the weight up. It's also a lift that looks awesome when done properly so can't wait to master it :D

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom