CrossFit

djpaulc247

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here do CrossFit? I recently started it after watching the Froning documentary on Netflix (followed by lots of other doc's on it) and a CF gym / box opening across the road from my work.

I've been going to the gym for years just lifting weights and doing bits of running, HIIT, kettlebell's, etc and done a few Tough Mudders so class myself as pretty fit but this is humbling me and I think that's what I love about it.

Every work out I feel like I've really got something from it, absolutely loving it so far but still finding my feet with a lot of the olympic lifts and WOD's. Looking to compete locally at some point in the new year just as something to aim for. Might even go for the Games at some point ;) Although I'd be in the Masters nowadays :eek:

Interested to hear off others who do it, anyone who has competed, anyone who has done the Open, Regionals, etc.

I may even start recording my workouts on here if there's any interest.

Crossfit terms:

Box = Gym
WOD = Workout of the Day
AMRAP = As Many Reps / Rounds as Possible
Metcon = Metabolic Conditioning
KB = Kettlebell
DU's = Double Unders (when a skipping rope passes under your feet twice with only one jump)
HSPU = Handstand Push Up
PU = Pull Up
MU = Muscle Up
BJ = Box Jumps
WB = Wall Ball
TTB = Toes to Bar
C2B = Chest to Bar
OHS = Overhead Squat
C&J = Clean & Jerk

Last edited:
started in 2008, never competed though

Nice, almost a decade then. I'm gutted I have never tried it sooner really but didn't know enough about it and never really looked into it before. Went to a taster session in September, then did a foundations class before taking a week off for Tough Mudder and was then on holiday until 30th Sept so this is effectively my fourth full week.

I decided to enter a comp anyway, bought my ticket for a pairs comp today that my gym is hosting in Jan so have just under three months to train for it. They're having RX and scaled so have gone for scaled, looking forward to it.

Have you just never fancied doing a competition or not considered it?

Been doing it for around 4 years, cant see me never doing it now.

There are a few classes near me, but they are very restrictive, either really early in the morning, or late evening, which is no good for me, I need a daytime one

been diagnosed with crohns disease about 4 years ago, so its 2 steps forward one step back kind of thing, lose weight and muscle then have to build myself up again. Soul destroying really. I'd be in the masters as well at 44, but i still do it but not flat out so much.

i follow this guy james fitzgerald https://opexfit.com the first winner of the games back in 2007(extremely smart coach) and this guy Marcus Filly (@marcusfilly) • Instagram photos and videos

been diagnosed with crohns disease about 4 years ago, so its 2 steps forward one step back kind of thing, lose weight and muscle then have to build myself up again. Soul destroying really. I'd be in the masters as well at 44, but i still do it but not flat out so much.

i follow this guy james fitzgerald https://opexfit.com the first winner of the games back in 2007(extremely smart coach) and this guy Marcus Filly (@marcusfilly) • Instagram photos and videos

My Mrs has Crohn's and Colitis, horrible condition and she really suffers so I can sympathise. Not only physically challenging but mentally as well, especially when she is having a bad flare up as it really gets her down.

I started crossfit about 3 months ago at a full on crossfit gym.

Loving it - great vibe, super helpful coaches/people, love the team/partner vibe. Even my kids go to the kids crossfit classes (10 & 6) and they love it.

It really has reignited my fitness.....I used to cycle 200 miles a week but was getting a bit bored and needed something else and this has been superb for me.

I can see the progress in just 3 months.

Example of one workout this week....

Crossfit Class

Complex

3 Deadlift
2 Hang power clean
1 Shoulder to Overhead.

10 mins to work up to max. Never really done much hang power clean so a bit of coaching needed here. Also my shoulder to overhead is rotten (see previous crap stronglifts OHP)

Anyway - worked up to 55kg on the bar so happy enough as a starting point. Struggled with the Hang Power clean but think I got a better technique by the end of it so something to work on.

WOD1

10 Min AMRAP - "Cindy"

5 Pull Ups or 5 Burpees
10 Strict Push Ups
15 Air Squats

Jesus - 10 mins is a long time to suffer on this one. I did the burpess, always struggled on pressups, air squats are ok. Got through 6 full rounds in the 10 mins.

WOD2 - "DT"

“DT” honors United States Air Force Staff Sergeant Timothy P. Davis, who was killed by an IED in Afghanistan on Feb. 20, 2009, while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

5 Rounds

12 Deadlifts
9 Hang Power Cleans
6 Shoulder to Overhead

10 mins time cap.

Suffering and more suffering here - Really struggled with this. Supposed to be 60kg but considering I only managed 55kg at the start, I dropped to 40kg to give myself a chance.

This was brutal for me - really hard - managed to finish 4 rounds in the time cap.

Coaches finisher

Partner up and do 100 situps (crossing legs over each other) passing a 15kg plate between you in 3 mins!! Gubbed - managed 60 between us.

Emptied the tank today big time...............(sorry for the long post!)

Partner wod today, a rear grinder.
300cal on the bike
300cal on the rower.

While one is on the bike, then the rower, the other does an even share of the following, then swap over.
Split as needed.

50 burpees over the bar.
100 ground to overhead - rx 60kg
150 wall balls.
300 push ups, (or earth downs).
150 wall balls.
100 ground to overhead.
50 burpees over the bar.

@booyaka cindy is a definitely gasser the best i've managed was 21 rounds in 20 min AMRAP about 7 years ago lol DT is an absolute forearm/grip killer.

@beecee 300cals on the bike & rower urghhh never mind the rest of the wod.

Did 20 km on the assault bike this morning as an easy active recovery day with some core work and free handstand practice.

Partner wod today, a rear grinder.
300cal on the bike
300cal on the rower.

While one is on the bike, then the rower, the other does an even share of the following, then swap over.
Split as needed.

50 burpees over the bar.
100 ground to overhead - rx 60kg
150 wall balls.
300 push ups, (or earth downs).
150 wall balls.
100 ground to overhead.
50 burpees over the bar.

That sounds disgusting!

Did a good partner WOD myself today, but of a warm up first then 10 mins AMRAP, one person does:

(A)
3 x 9kg / 10' wall ball
3 x 24kg KB swing
3 cal row

Tag partner then they go, then repeat for 6 of each, then 9, 12 and so on

2 mins rest then 10 mins AMRAP, one person does:

(B)
3 x 24" box jump
3 x 40kg power clean
3 cal row

Same as above for tagging / rounds.

We managed to do a round of 15s + 5 x wall balls for A then round of 12s + 9 box jumps for B. Brutal, took me a good couple of minutes to be able to walk again after :rotfl:

Has anyone done the Bergeron beep test yet?

no but it looks horrendous

Oh it is! :rotfl:

For anyone who doesn't know what it is, it's a fitness / conditioning test devised by Ben Bergeron and is :

• EMOM for as Long as Possible
  • 7 Thrusters (75/55 lbs)
  • 7 Pull-Ups
  • 7 Burpees
Each minute on the minute (EMOM), starting at the top of the minute, complete one round. Rest the remainder of the minute. Score is total number of rounds completed before becoming unable to complete a round before the start of the next minute.

Basically anything with thrusters in is designed to kill you or at the very least make you cry, if you have enough oxygen to do so!

We did this a few weeks ago and it absolutely destroyed me! First we did every 2 mins for 10 mins - 6 x Back Squat with 75% of 3RM then onto the Bergeron.

We had the option to scale to 4 reps of each instead of seven, I grossly underestimated the workout and went for 7 but I really should've gone with four, excuse number 1 (I have a few of these, see below) :laugh: We also had a 10 min time cap if you weren't starting the sets on the minute each time, if you weren't it then just became an AMRAP.

I only managed three sets and felt like I couldn't breathe and would never be able to breathe again! Had to scale back to sets of four and managed another two sets but that was it, I have never felt so gassed out in my life!!

Now, as I say I do have a couple of excuses / lessons here so I'm going to try this again some time soon to see if I can improve on my score.

1) it was the 6:30am class so I was fasted, I usually train after work and a day full of food.
2) I'd forgotten to take my asthma inhaler and didn't have it with me. Don't forget your inhaler!
3) I should've scaled with being so new to Crossfit. There is no shame in scaling.
4) don't ever underestimate a workout, they're all tough!!!

Oh, and 5) This is something I've learnt since with thrusters - BREATHE!!!!!! Very easy to hold your breath and hyperventilate doing thrusters so pay close attention to your breathing.

I'm ok with burpees and pull ups but after the thrusters they just got harder and harder. I also took my time for the first set thinking I'll take it easy and not try to do myself in early. That didn't work though as I only left myself 9 seconds of rest which wasn't enough so made the mistake of rushing the second set / minute for more rest. This was counter-productive!

Basically just a firm lesson on how mortal I actually am :rotfl:

What shoes does everyone use for CF? I did a bit of research and ended up split between the Reebok Nano and the Nike Metcon 3. Went for the Metcon 3 in the end as they were on sale on Nike's website and I found a 25% off discount code so ended up with a pair for under £60.

They're comfortable and feel like a good fit and have a really good grip and sturdy heel which feels safe and secure for lifting and for things like box jumps. A little stiff at first for running but will only use them for short distances and they should loosen a little over time. They're also designed with a heel clip that helps sliding up walls for handstand push ups and the inner arch of the shoe sole comes up to help with grip for rope climbing.

Overall really pleased with them but I've not compared them to any others with being so new to CF.

I personally prefer the 2s over the 3s, thought the 3s were a nightmare to run in although I've only done a limited bit running in the 3s. The dsx flyknits are super comfortable but I've only done some skipping in them.

The new dsx fyknits 2 look the buisness.

Last edited:
I grabbed some Nano's - nice solid comfy. possibly a bit hard for any long runs but not been on any yet to confirm.

Chipper today......

Horrid.

Strength starter
  • 5RM Shoulder to overhead (from the floor)

3 Man teams - working up to max in 12 mins.

Never been good with anything over my head - anyway got to 50kg x 5, managed 2 x 55kg. Need to work on technique again as I'm taking too much weight on my arms when I drive up instead of on my shoulders.

WOD - Chipper

• Lunges (knee to floor)
  • Knees to Elbows
  • Push press (20kg)
25 reps on each then repeat before moving on

• Plate touch to press (20kg)
  • Burpees
  • Double Unders or centre hops to touch on step
25 reps on each then repeat before moving on

• Box Step Ups (30)
  • Jumping Pull Ups
  • KB Swings overhead (16kg)
25 reps on each then repeat

25 Min time cap.......

Brutal - never really done a chipper so pacing was hard. Fastest guys were finishing around 22 mins. I got to my last 25KB swings at the cap. Really empty now. That was a hard one.

Hate burpees - I really try to just close my eyes and go to another place!

tried the nano 6 liked them a lot bit they were bit on the small side and there wasn't a half size up, so i sent them back. My mate is a big fan of the old nano 4s.

Did heavy barbell rows & some Incline Dumbbell bench press. 4 sets of 8 on each

Then a 30 min emom of
1st min 30 double unders
2nd min 20 press-ups
3rd min 10 strict pull-ups

I grabbed some Nano's - nice solid comfy. possibly a bit hard for any long runs but not been on any yet to confirm.

Chipper today......

Horrid.

That sounds awful. Not done a chipper yet and hadn't heard of it but just googled and can see it's basically just chipping away at a load of exercises. Looking forward to it :censored:

Nice little workout last night, first of all strength - Building to a 1RM Cluster (Squat power clean into thruster) over 10 mins. New movement for me which I haven't done before (same for a lot of them with being so new to it) so just focused on form and added 5kg each time.

Did 65kg and just about failed at 70kg, couldn't push out the last few inches of the shoulder press. Happy with that, probably could've got the 70 out with another attempt but ran out of time.

Then three six minute WOD's as follows:

A) Minute 1 : 4 reps at 80% of 1RM power squat clean / Minute 2 : 10 x Wall Balls, repeat for six mins

1 min rest

B) Minute 1 : 3 reps at 85% of 1RM power squat clean / Minute 2 : 10 x Wall Balls, repeat for six mins

1 min rest

C) Minute 1 : 2 reps at 90% of 1RM power squat clean / Minute 2 : 5 x Ring Dips (I scaled to box dips)

Still finding my feet with a lot of lifts and what my 1,2,3, etc rep maxes are so trying to just make sure I use good form, avoid any silly injuries, and work on technique so probably could've gone a little heavier here but never really power squat cleaned before so around 65 - 70kg seemed to be my max based on the cluster.

I therefore worked on A) 50kg / B) 55kg / C) 60kg

Good little workout, especially on the back of cleans and WB's on Saturday as I was still quite tight from that.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom