1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross Trainer / Elliptical - Advice please?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PaulBoy, Oct 2, 2005.

1. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi - I couldn't find any previous threads which mentioned these exercise machines - can anyone advise me what to look for when buying one for home use - I used one quite a bit when recovering from a back injury & feel the need to do something exercise wise (other than golf) this winter
    I see some advertised as having "magnetic resistance"
    What types of machines are there?
    How much do you need to spend to get a decent one?
    I noticed a York X730 (I believe) with £100 off at Argos making it £299 - would that fit the bill?
    Your best advice would be much appreciated
    Paul

2. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    I bought one of these recently (although a lower spec model)

http://www.premierdirect.co.uk/starttotalgym.htm

Is it for cardio or strength? This system works on your own weight for resistance. Allows you to exercise pretty much any part of the body. But I know there's a few on here that are real experts on the whole fitness scene - Razor especially.

3. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Chris - thanks for the reply - just for general cardio/vasc exercise - I cant get too carried away due to a back (disc) injury ... Paul ;)

4. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +503
    The kit I linked is not really suited to a great cardio workout, in my opinion.

I tend to combine the resistance workout with alternate days of cycling for around 30 minutes - I find I need to get out in the fresh air.

5. happyh

happyh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Try Here:

http://www.yorkfitness.co.uk/uk/factory/index.htm

I just bought a 2 in 1 cycle/rower for £125.00. It says refurbished on the box but when I got it home it's all brand new and sealed.(£399 in Argos catalogue)
    They have a big warehouse and their head office in Daventry.They supply Argos etc in huge numbers. Any end of line etc are sold as Refurb even though they're new. I got a full 12 month warrenty too.
    The machine I bought is a cycle which converts over to a rower by lowering the handlebars to the floor. Works well. Not sure if it's on the website though. If not look at Argos then ring York direct.

6. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    happyh - thanks I have had a look at the site you mentioned - this attempt to buy an elliptical trainer is turning into a bit of a chore! I went to a local fitness place who had about 10 machines from £200 to £1000+ The ones in my price range vary so much in size & feel & even with a choice of 4 I couldn't make a choice (!)
    I may opt for a York machine but get it from Argos so that if it isnt right I can send it back for another or a refund - a bit negative but I dont have money to burn ... Paul
    PS If anyone knows where I could try some out in the Surrey Hants Berks area I'd be much obliged (?)