Cross-Platform play coming

Discussion in 'Playstation - PS4 & Vita' started by Stinja, Aug 22, 2013.

1. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,164
    So not only may we see some games able to have both PS4 and PC players together, but also PS4 - PS3 - Vita owners:

Helldivers coming to PS4, PS3 and Vita with Cross-Play | Joystiq

This might be quite good during the transition period, as I have some friends that can't afford a next-gen console yet, but it'd be nice to be able to play with them on new games.

The cross-buy is another interesting thought: do we buy the licence (for digital) to play on the Sony ecosystem, or only a specific platform?

2. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    but no xbox? ;)

The idea of crossplatform play is a great one, and one of the holy grails of gaming. I (very) begrudiingly purchased borderlands 2 on xbox despite it being superior in every way on pc due to the multiplayer nature of the game, but if i had been able to buy on pc and still play with consolers it would have been perfect.

Some games this will work very well for, and is a no brainer - turn based, or games where the pad is at least equally as efficient as KB&M HOWEVER MS did dabble with crossplatform play with a game called shadowrun and it was a disaster.

KB&M users owned pad users. One solution would be to allow KB&M on console, but this would be a show stopper for me. I enjoy gaming on the couch, and for this a pad is perfect, so much so infact that when supported, i play all my offline pc games on a pad these days as well. I can do this on a console, even when online as i know its a level playing field.

if games like fpsers were to go crossplaform I would be in favour of it, but imo it can only work if there is a toggle box on the pc version to allow crossplatform play, and if this box is checked, the pc users would need to be limited to KB&M.

of course, this is a non issue for many games so this is still great news.

just my 2p.

PS after all that i read the link, is it just me pre coffee or is there no mention of pc?

looked like ps3, 4 & vita to me! :/ this is still ok but a very different beast to pc.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  3. Line L

Line L

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
  4. Stinja

Stinja
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,164
    Other games were mentioned PC to PS4, this is the first time i've seen mention of PS3-PS4-Vita, and not as companion apps or whatever.

As for KB&M, i agree competitive games wouldnt be so good, as i do not want to get stressed on the sofa, and dont want to feel at a disadvantage due to not using the "best" control scheme.

No technical reason you couldnt do this: most online games are doing the same things: passing location information (players, enemies), actions (crouching, shooting) and states (health etc).

Absolutely no reason for a PS4 using engine A to pass out game information in format X, which both a PC and Xbox can read, process using engines B and C, and pass back out info again using format X.

We all know it's unlikely, as they want protected systems, and who pays server costs? Do they allow another company to use APIs to access server and player info? how would trophies/achievements work?

Possible, but too many non-technical issues.

5. MikeKay1976

MikeKay1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,974
    oh yeah i was only joking about xbox. Sony and MS are unlikely to play ball even though it is feasable.

would make for some fun vs games though, with xbox vs ps4 COD battles etc

i noticed warthunder. that could work well. still not sold on the whole F2P thing. It CAN work well, but its a fine line as equally some F2P games can end up costing potentially far more than a full price game if you want to be competetive.

it does seem to be the future however, esp on pc where piracy is such a problem.

6. Wingsurfer

Wingsurfer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +457
    This happened ages ago didn't it with Portal 2 - PS3 & PC?

7. Cha1ky

Cha1ky
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24,985
    Yeah, cant think of any other games mind you.