Cross Platform CoD 5??

darkryu

Standard Member
Hey Guys,

All of the Lads at work play CoD 5 on Xbox live and it sounds like a total blast, my only problem is I only own a PC, is there any way for me to play CoD 5 from my PC against my co-workers on Xbox Live?

oasismark

Distinguished Member
No you cant do it

Codehead

Distinguished Member
There has only been one game AFAIK that was cross platform.

The ill fated ShadowRun let 360 owners play against Windows Live gamers. It was a cracking little game, but vanished into obscurity very quickly.

mattclarkie

Distinguished Member
FF XI or XIII or whichever one was the MMO thing was cross-plat.

I can't see the problem with it being done, if you have a proper structure to the game it should be easy to do cross-plat. I assume the issue is getting the servers from MS, Sony and whoever does the PC servers to communicate. MS and Sony probably don't want to put in the infrastructure to do that.

Codehead

Distinguished Member
People have examined XBL packets and they are encrypted (Probably to cut down on in-game cheating, GS boosting, etc). ShadowRun was a MS release so the tech could be kept in-house. (Not sure about FF X*).

TreyArch, Infinty Ward and all the other independant devs probably wouldn't get their hands on the low level netcode to pull off the cross platform stuff.

kopchoir

Banned
Plus the piracy issues involved with pc gaming allowing them to play over xbox live would not be good for business me thinks:devil:

markie g

Distinguished Member
personally i'd never want to play with pc user. its much easier to alter the files and modify the game on a pc compared to the 360.

Get with the times and buy a 360 :smashin: they're cheap now

SteveU30

Distinguished Member
Xbox Live is the slickest thing since the Exxon Valdez disaster (sorry about the analagy), it deffo doesn't want to be 'tainted' with PC gamers!! (No offence intended but as others have said, it would most likely upset the way Xbox live is now).

DragonOfSilver

People have examined XBL packets and they are encrypted (Probably to cut down on in-game cheating, GS boosting, etc). ShadowRun was a MS release so the tech could be kept in-house. (Not sure about FF X*).

TreyArch, Infinty Ward and all the other independant devs probably wouldn't get their hands on the low level netcode to pull off the cross platform stuff.

That's not the reason actually, universe at war, a non MS title, is also cross platform compatible I believe.

Most developers have just stated they're not interested, as the resulting field of play would be too unbalanced etc. also it would involve more costs on pc development probably, having to be live validated etc for each patch.

I seem to recall that MS actually tried to convince everyone to adopt doing cross platform compatibility, but didn't get any adopters.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom