cross over question

B

braidkid

Hello,
I recently purchased a THX select Yamaha reciever. For those of you who have done it I used the automatic setup (Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer) to setup my sound adjustments.

Apparently the crossover frequency has been set to 200 Hz. I know that THX recommends 80 Hz. My question is, should I manually set the reciever to 80 Hz or leave it at 200 Hz which is what the reciever automatically set itself up for?

What are your speakers... :confused:

The crossover frequency should be below 100Hz if possible; however if your main speakers cannot work at those frequencies you will have to use a higher crossover frequency to avoid a dip in the F.R.

It looks as if the Infinity TSS750 uses those tiny main speakers which will not reproduce low frequencies adequately, so you will probably stick to the 200Hz crossover.

If you can set the crossover frequency manually it could be worth trying 120 - 150 Hz as they seem to claim aresponse down to 120Hz from the satellites.

Bill

Bill beat me to the reply, I agree with him...

Thank you very much for your replies. I'll try setting the crossover to 120 Hz and see how that works.

My sub specifies a crossover frequency of 50Hz-150Hz. What does this mean exactly? I thought crossover freq was the freq at which the sub kicks in. Is this true?

The cross over frequency is the frequency which the sub 'kicks in' but almost all subs have a variable to control to select the frequency which is suitable for the speakers it is being paired with - therefore they will be advertised with a range like 50Hz->150Hz.

If you are using an AV amp to do the cross over however it is normally recommended that you set the sub to its maximum cross over (ie 150Hz) in this example as this will give you the full .1 channel and only the frequencies below the cross over set by the av amp for any speakers which are set to Small.

Sort of, but it "kicks in" at the frequency you, or your inteligent receiver, choose, or the one you dial on the subs xover, there you have the choice 50hz - 150hz, you should disable it on the sub if you can, or set it to 150hz because the receiver is doing that job better... :lesson:

There is a LFE switch on the back of my sub. Is it true that if I turn this switch on it will bypass the crossover frequency dialed on the back of the sub and let the reciever do the work?

Probably, confirm on the manual and do it... :smashin:

I can understand that the receiver may put in 200hz for satellite speakers....but i am having the same problem and am using a Mission 781 pair as my fronts, a Mission 78c Centre, a pair of Mission 78ds surrounds and a Mission Ms10 sub.

Also when doing the autosetup, what volume should the sub be at ??

Any suggestions ??

Calibrating the sub is a pain, make sure it is on the best position first, and phase is correct, so the response is smoother, then adjust the volume with a bass heavy CD or DVD until you are happy... :rolleyes:

The problem is it will sound different depending how loud you are playing the music, and some records will need more bass, others will excite room nodes and need less, but with time you may find a reasonable compromise... :suicide:

I only adjust my subwoofers when I have demos, many people like bass louder than I do, they are used to heavy distortion and room ressonances, so they think my clean bass is lack of bass... ;)

Hi Novi,
From reading my Yamaha setup guide it says to turn the sub half way up for the calibration.

I recently used the THX audio calibration found on some THX certified DVD's to set the cross over on my sub. When the cross over was turned down to 80Hz I could definately hear a drop off. When turned to 120Hz there was no drop off which makes sense since my satellites go down to 120Hz.

hI Braid kid,

My speakers(Mission 781's) claim to go down to 56Hz so i the sub should be set around the 80 hz- 60hz , however the YPAO puts it up to 200 Hz.

Novi

Novi,
I've had the same inaccuracy with my YPAO. I'm not sure as to its accuracy. I bought a speaker level meter to check my levels and they were way off what the YPAO gave me. Also, it set my crossover higher than what it should be as well. My satellites go down to 80Hz therefore I set my crossover to 80Hz as well. I would recommend the same or lower for yours.

Maybe someone else can comment as to Yamaha's YPAO.

I think the main problem with YPAO is that the supplied mic isn't very good and doesn't pick up the sound optimally. The mic supplied with the monsterous DSP-Z9 looks quite different, and probably is more expensive to make given the price point. For all the other amps/receivers with YPAO, from the CinemaStation DVX-S150 up to the RX-V2500, the mic looks to be the exact same model.

YPAO is probably also dependent on the differences in sound between speakers at the listening location being fairly small. If it adds a lot of EQ to the speakers, their levels may not quite match. That's just a guess though.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom