Cross-over frequency?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by chantrys, Aug 6, 2006.

1. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Apologies if this is a dumb question, but could someone please give me some advice on a decent cross-over frequency setting.

I am just setting up my new Arcam AVR350. I am using Quad 22L fronts, Quad L Cnetre, and Quad 12L for the surrounds. I am using a Velodyne SPL1000 sub.

I can't find anywhere that tells what level to set the crossover frequency at to get the most out of the Quad's and sub. Can anyone suggest whether this should be 80Hz, 100Hz, 120Hz etc.

Many thanks,
    Marcus

2. mlankton

mlankton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    80 Hz

3. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    Yeah, 80Hz would be the best setting. If you plan on running your system loud I would recommend configuring all your speakers as 'Small' which will reduce the likelyhood of overloading them with bass content. I know your main speakers are anything but small but neither are they truly full range speakers either. If you are only going to use it at moderate volumes then it would be quite safe to run the front three as 'Large' speakers.

4. whitewolf

whitewolf
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my subwoofer crossover is 80. but even i dont know whats the frequecy for my center rear and fronts. i have av8 processor and fronts are 205 kef and 202 c center and xq5 rears. i have this option of small and large in av8 i have set all at small . is that ok? loafer shed some light on it please . i have a post going on in this section can u answer there with numbers please

5. chantrys

chantrys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I really only use my system at moderate levels. So is it still ok to set the centre speaker as large even though it has a lower frequency range than the 22L's?

6. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    With your system you should really set all of the speakers to large. The crossover setting on the AV8 should be set to 80Hz and the crossover setting on whichever subwoofer you have should be set to bypass or whatever its maximum setting is.

7. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,269
    The Quad L centre channel is pretty decent and should struggle when run as a large speaker except at very high volumes. If you are at all worried then just leave it as small.