1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross over for Mission 7ds rears. I am getting upset !!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Bristol Pete, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Ok, So now I am completely stumped.

Mission tell me to set M7ds rears and M7c1 to large as not a problem.

However, in passing, a mate states is that this is unwise as a large dynamic shift could damage the speakers.
    He advises set to small and get a sub. However, puzzled by this, I sought advice and Bob007 (fellow poster) told me that should not damage units as any frequency below the missions 'BOTTOM' limit (70hz) simpy will not be heard. ok??

Fine, so maybe best option is to set rears and centre to small and redirect LFE to fronts as presently do not have a sub (saving up). However, I am now at my wits end and want to cry as I am thinking the following -

1. If rears, even when set to large to not drop below 70hz then I might as well set to large and forget the rear bass.

or

2. Set to small, cross over at 70hz (ish) and still not get the bass at rear, sent to fronts in the interim.

or

3. Set to small, sell body to get sub, still set x/o to 70 hz (ish) and hopefully get it right at last.

or

4. Sell the lot as really frustrating me at present and revert to religion and go cold turkey over home cinema bug.:devil:

or 5.

Revert to the original plan and by some 'all small' pascal units to punish myself for getting wound up about it all..!!!

I know that the much vaunted advice here is listen, as only the owner of the gear in questioncan decide but I really need steering here as I cannot really tell much difference, although to the trained ear it probably will be noticable. I have come to realise that there are many M7ds owners here.

Well, thats it.

To paraphrase Princess leia, 'help me, you are my only hope'

Thanks in advance,

Captain Benefit.

2. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Capn' - it's POSSIBLE that a large transient signal below 70Hz could damage the drivers in your centre and surrounds. It's just not very likely. If it ever happened it would be at a very loud volume, and you'd probably swear at yourself for turning it up so loud. I've only ever blown a LF unit once, and that was with some very old very cheap speakers watching Apocalypse Now on Laserdisc at stupid (painful) volumes.
    For the moment, stick with them as large, but bear in mind there's below 70Hz information that you won't really hear. If you want to listen to it, set them to small and divert the bass to the mains.

Hope this reassures you.

3. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    bass below 70hz is not very directional so even if you divert it to the fronts it wont sound out of place-I would sugest you set your rears as small.

4. HotblackDesiato

HotblackDesiato

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    5 points and a :devil: ...something subliminal is going on here...

I've blown a couple of tweeters in my time, being stupid, but never fried a woofer, so i wouldn't worry too much. Unless you're really looking to wake the neighbours.
    Before i was convinced a sub was worth while i just let my front mains handle the low stuff...not because i was worried...but because they could reproduce the low stuff better.

spence

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yup, tweeters tind to fry much faster than a woofer :D
    To fry a woofer you need to feed it some serious current - first it smacks straight into it's end-stop, then the internals start to melt. Normally you'll hear this happening, but as I said the volume was so high I couldn't hear the loss of one woofer.
    Makes a convincing argument for taking the grills off though...

6. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The large/small settings in the bass management is there to redirect the bass to the main speakers/sub or whatever etc to acheive better results, it's not a saftey feature to prevent the LF signals reaching your speakers.

No harm will come to your speakers whatever setting you use, just select the setting that gives you the best results. ;)

Just a thought, what did we do before Dolby Digital came along and there was no bass management (speakers settings small/large)?

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In my case it was blow up cheap speakers using Laserdiscs as the source - oh happy days, how I miss you. Still wouldn't go back to LD permanently though...