1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cross contamination

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Astaroth, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I have now had a chance to run in my denon 2805 in properly and have noticed an annoying trait - I have the amp set to -60 to -45db most of the time depending on what source I am listening to. The other day I decided to increase the volume some wha, just to see :blush: but when listening to an analogue source I noticed that in the background you could here the higher frequencies of other analogue sources.

The amp is used 95% of the time for DVD (digital co-ax connection) and NTL (analogue) and 5% of the time it is used for music via some old hifi seperates that are linked into it - a CD player (analogue) and tape deck (analogue). Due to NTL being generally :censored: and the hi-fi only part time use they are all connected using fairly basic cables (not the freeby ones but £10 max each).

Whilst the problem can be fixed by making sure all analogue sources other than the one I am listening to is turned off (this causes a slight problem as the NTL is also connected to the spare TV) I was wondering what the likely cause of this is? Is it cheap cables picking up each others signals? Is it a flaw with the AVR (either in general or a fault with mine)? The only decent analogue interconnects I have are currently in use with my HI-FI in another room and to remove them would be a major issue (and they are too short to connect up the AVR/hifi systems in their current possition too).

Thanks

2. davehk

davehk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    It's unlikely to be crosstalk between the cables unless they are very poor quality (screen-wise) and very close/tightly strapped together. Sounds more like crosstalk in the input selection circuitry of the Denon.

I wonder if Denon use mechanical switches or semiconductor switches (these are more prone to crosstalk due to capacitive coupling on the chips).

You could use an external input selector box (QED, for example), which would enable you to isolate the signals you don't want to use from the Denon.