Cross advertising tv ads?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Tetlee, Mar 3, 2013.

1. Tetlee

Tetlee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,812
    Anyone noticed how quite a few tv adverts lately seem to be advertising two completely different products?

I've seen a few non Apple related ads clearly showing people using iphone's for instance, and this morning a Muller advert starting off like a typical Nintendo advert with someone playing a Nintendo DS and a group of people crowded around watching them play.

Is it just coincidence or are these companies contacting each other and arranging for a little cross advertising do you think(can't really imagine Muller contacting Nintendo)? If not must be a bonus for these companies when they effectively get some free TV adverts included in other companies ads.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  2. Wild Weasel

Wild Weasel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +720
    You see a lot of Apple laptops in adverts, but they always blank out the "MacBook Pro' label from the bottom of the screen.

3. nvingo

nvingo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +688
    I like the debadged and composite cars some adverts use to avoid this issue.

4. Miss Mandy

Miss Mandy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,407
    I spotted this on a Santander advert last night. It was easier to see Jessica Ennis' Adidas branding and Rory McIlroy's Nike gear than it was Jensen Button's Santander logo!

5. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    What about Amigo Loans?

The first time I see their advert there's a couple of Mexicans in the hot desert yakking about it in cod accents...

...and then today in a newer version, they're gone and there are a couple of blue plasticine morphing men against a white background illustrating it instead.

What was wrong with the Mexicans? Could the first advert have been seen as a stereotype of Mexicans?

6. RottenFox

RottenFox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,289
    They were classed as untrustworthy, and unhelpful to the companies business, so the ad was dumped in favour of the new morphing ad.

7. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    It is happening a lot. It doesn't really bother me, in fact me and the missus are marketing people's dream.

Whenever an ad comes on for something food related, one of us always goes "Ooh. I could go a......"

Anyway, talking about product placement, I'm getting really hacked off with the blurring of things on programmes. The discovery channels are particularly bad.
    In American Chopper, they had a tool suite which was branded by Roco. It was bright yellow with the name in massive black letters but it covered the whole wall, so whenever it was in the shot, the majority of the shot apart from the person was blurred out. But the best thing is that in another shot, from a different angle it was clear as day!
    It's not just limited to US programmes. There was some classic car thing on and the camera slowly panned up the unmistakable radiator of a 1930s era Rolls Royce Neil it got to the top, where the 'RR' was blurred out. Right below the other trademark figure, the Spirit of Ecstasy. :rolleyes:

I also spotted a bit of product placement in last nights eastenders.

[​IMG]

Probably a coincidence, but there's Jack, wondering what shaving foam to pick up. :lol:

Last edited: Mar 5, 2013
  8. tvbox

tvbox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +813
    Tissues also.

BBC seem to be one of the worst when it comes to covering brands up... I say so what?
    They cover them with tape, paper, or just slap their own label over it.

Obviously this is an exception.