Critique corner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Creeks between Helford Passage and Porth Navas - about a mile down the lane from my Uncles - turn right out of the gate - see tomorrow evening

Attachments

• creeks2.JPG
    creeks2.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 38
  • creeks3.JPG
    creeks3.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 44
Actually the picture was of Mawgan Creek - I has used a 1/4 sized wife piccy as I cannot be bothered to scan my slide

Attachments

• MawganCreeks.JPG
    MawganCreeks.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 52
Hi

I spent 3 months in Falmouth last year working on the new Arts Uni. Stayed in a lovely little guest house at the top of Kilagrew road. Nice place specially in summer time! The harbour saw a fair bit of money too :beer: :beer: :beer:

CH

ps. MT has you seen 'nuts in may'?

electrolyte said:
Hi MRW

That shot is brilliant, love the effect of the lights.

It is nearly perfect but I think there are a couple of things that detract from the photo though. You've chopped off the top of the circle and the shelf (??) you've left the cam on is in the shot. I think you need to buy yourself a tripod! Or re-take the shot with the cam on the edge of the shelf so that it is not in view. I'd give the current photo 9/10 as it is, would be 10/10 if you re-did it... Just a thought though.

Cheers electrolyte.

Spot on with your thoughts. I don't have a tripod, so had to use the coffee table as something sturdy. (Obviously just trying to hold the camera perfectly still for 2 seconds is impossible).

If I had more time, I would have moved the camera further back so as to get the whole circle in.

Thanks for your comments!

paulc1 said:
MRW, I really like the effect of the lights, it kinda reminds me of some that I've taken with sparklers on bonfire night, I think electrolyte is right about getting the whole circle of lights in the shot,..but regardless of that, I think it is a great shot.
well done m8 :thumbsup:

BTW, how come your missus, has time to mess around with lights etc, when there's washing on the maiden that needs putting away, or ironing? :laugh:

(It's just a joke!!!), better get that in before I get into trouble,...anyway I'm off now to do the dishes :) .

great shot MRW.

Nice one Paul,

Yeah, I allowed her one minute to be my model, and then she was straight back to housework!

Thanks too for your input.

Cheers.

EDIT:

Just thought I'd try a variation on the above theme!

'MRW' with blue LED light - 305kb

electrolyte said:
That's fantastic!! :thumbsup: :clap: Just one question - how did you do it?

Simple really - even for a newbie to all of this!

Set the camera (Kodak LS753) on a chair, set the exposure to 4 seconds, set the self timer to 10 seconds, switched the lights off and wrote 'MRW' in the air, using one of those LED keyring things.

Then in Paint Shop Pro, I simply flipped the image, and that's it!

I also took this one (needs to be resized to something like 1024x768 or 800x600 to see the overall effect) which is currently my Windows desktop. I love the simplicity of it, and the glow on the carpet!

MRW said:
Simple really - even for a newbie to all of this!

Set the camera (Kodak LS753) on a chair, set the exposure to 4 seconds, set the self timer to 10 seconds, switched the lights off and wrote 'MRW' in the air, using one of those LED keyring things.

Then in Paint Shop Pro, I simply flipped the image, and that's it!

I also took this one (needs to be resized to something like 1024x768 or 800x600 to see the overall effect) which is currently my Windows desktop. I love the simplicity of it, and the glow on the carpet!
Thanks MRW, sounds really simple. I'll have to give it a try. Have to see if I can get a LED pen....

Attachments

• 003tuo.jpg
    003tuo.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 003aub.jpg
    003aub.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 004c.jpg
    004c.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 7aUmarch.jpg
    7aUmarch.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 39
  • 003z.jpg
    003z.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 37
  • 004a.jpg
    004a.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 39
First pic with my new cam. All advice accepted :)

Attachments

• Watch.JPG
    Watch.JPG
    106.1 KB · Views: 86
Not bad for what was presumably a handheld shot under normal domestic lighting. I can just about make out "Made in Tai..." :laugh:

The high magnification of macro needs a high shutter speed to avoid camera shake & the VERY shallow depth of field requires a small aperture. Obviously, these are mutually exclusive under domestic lighting. Plus, you have a highly reflective surface that rules out the use of flash. So:

Invest in a small table top tripod. In the meantime, try positioning the camera on a stable surface. The old faithful beanbag is great because it moulds itself to both the shape of the camera & the surface it's sitting on.

Use the self timer to avoid touching the camera & inducing shake at the point of exposure.

Experiment with homemade flash diffusers using materials like tissue paper, greaseproof baking paper, old handkerchiefs, etc. If it's something you want to do a lot of then I believe the Fuji has a standard flash hotshot. You can buy a cable that plugs into that & onto the bottom of a cheap flashgun to allow use off camera. You can then position the flash to one side & at approx 45 degrees down so nearly all the relection will be directed away from the camera. A piece of white card the other side will bounce light back eliminating shadows. You may even find that the white balance is good enough to achieve these results with tungsten lighting.

"Made in Tai... :laugh: " Boy was i ever ripped off :eek:

Thanks for the advice it was indeed a handheld shot.

I went out today and took some animal pics although i was shaking so much with the freezing conditions i don't know if they are any good :(

You can see them here.

http://www.photobox.co.uk/album/1171509

Let me know what you think.

Adrenochrome.

The Deer one is great Tom, though I can't seem to get a full size picture it does look as if the point of focus is around his eyes. Not sure if a manual focus on his nose would have been better, just thinking out loud.

The others seem a bit dark to me, especially the last one of the wallaby. Nice close shots though :smashin:

No problem mate i'm flattered.

Aint it great what you can find out in your back garden :thumbsup:

Another attempt at a close up.

Attachments

• DSCF0129.JPG
    DSCF0129.JPG
    119.9 KB · Views: 84
Here's a few I took years ago with my film camera (scanned in) just to show that you can get closer to nature in Scotland !
The one with the bird on my wing mirror was taken at Luss as I was sat eating sandwiches in the car park. Dozens of birds were sat on my car waiting for food - including some sat on the windscreen wipers.

Attachments

• resize_cattle2.jpg
    resize_cattle2.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 51
  • resize_bird.jpg
    resize_bird.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 61
  • resize_iceweb2.jpg
    resize_iceweb2.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 61
JohnG said:
just to show that you can get closer to nature in Scotland !

Dozens of birds were sat on my car waiting for food - including some sat on the windscreen wipers.

The only thing i've ever given Scottish birds to eat is bone. They love it.

Adrenochrome.

This is a big file, but i have been playing with Photoshop and wanted people to see this in all its glory. So i'll link it here

I took the picture on just a normal setting and then blurred the background to give the main subject more definition. I also sharpened her and did an auto colour adjustment.

What do you think? I'm thinking of having it printed and sending a copy to her parents :)

Steve, it's a pretty cool picture of a very cute little girl and her parents would love it mate;)

Her right hand needs sorting out a little mate, it will stand out a bt when printed i think. But it's a great shot:)

Well, as promised, a picture from my first outing with my Nikon, see some more surfing shots on my website,...I am absolutely thrilled with the results when compared to my old camera :smashin:

Attachments

• surf3.jpeg
    surf3.jpeg
    71.5 KB · Views: 69
Am I losing it or have you not posted these somewhere else already?

Edit: Doh, same person - different forum....

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom